horner

May 22, 2007
I heard yesterday that we had a chance to get Chris Pronger
for
Kaberle 1st rd pk Steen

We trade our 1st year's ago for Kurvers
We ended up with the 3rd pk
Scott Niedermayer

Also heard the when Bobby Orr was taken from our backyard. That one of our scout got a tip to go check out this 16 yr old dman and couldn't be bothered to have a look.

We traded Carlyle in his 2nd season

No wonder we have never had great dman besides Salming

We traded Rask for Raycrap

These are the reasons we have never won a cup.

Reactions: ToneDog

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Everyone is dumb with the benefit of hindsight

It's legit.. The team has been run by shoemakers for 50 years with a short exception during the Stavro years.

So many other organizations on shoestring budgets are far more effective. Why? Our media right? Isn't that what we use as an excuse?

It is pretty much pointless to point out to stupid people just how stupid they are. That's because they are too stupid to figure out what you are trying to tell them.

Reactions: horner

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
in some communist hard salary cap League.

In a real market economy, ticket sales determine your salary cap.
They had that for the first 40 yrs of this stretch……and had some of their most embarrassing years. Hence the reason they pushed hard for a salary cap.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I think dumb could definitely describe the Ballard era which lasted what? 30 years? Nobody was going to win a cup during his reign.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
This team is one of the dumbest teams in all hockey.

Everything they do is facepalmingly stupid. Nothing has changed since Shanahan took over. It's still just one dumb decision after another.

Stupid team does stupid things.

The only difference between now and the Ballard years is they actually believe they're being smart now. When Ballard was making dumb trades there were no delusions it was about anything other than money or if he hated the player. When this team makes trades it's because they think it will make them more competitive.

Instead they accidentally make themselves worse while trying to make themselves better.

This isn't something limited to just Shanahan either. It's a symptom of the gross incompetency that permeates the entire organization. That's because the owners are even dumber than the rest of them.

Stupid coach.

Stupid GM. Stupid President. Stupid owners.

Stupid team.

Reactions: Al14

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Well you got the "we" part correct, but I don't think it's the organization that's dumb. Shit "we" sell out other teams barns and for what payoff? Hit them where it hurts then see how fast they get their ish together.

As the saying goes: who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Last edited:

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
You can look at almost every franchise and say the same thing.....some terrible trades. For every bad trade there is also a steal - why do these get overlooked completely?

Van trades Cam Nelly and a 1st (which turned out to be Glen Wesley) for Barry Pederson

NYI send Chara, Muckalt and a 1st (Ott picked Spezza) to Ott for Yashin

Det send Marcel Dionne to LA

BOS traded Joe Thornton

DAL traded a 1st for and 2nd and 3rd in 2003 to ANA - Ducks pick Corey Perry - Dal picked two guys

PHI traded Bobrovsky.......

WAS sent Filip Forsberg to NAS for Erat

Get over yourselves.......It's not just a Leafs thing.....bad trades happen all the time.

What about deals like getting Sundin, or Gilmour......or the 1st Tor from Bos to get Ian Turnbull......?

It's the middle of May....get out and enjoy the weather. If you're that disappointed and pessimistic, hand in your fan card

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
They had that for the first 40 yrs of this stretch……and had some of their most embarrassing years. Hence the reason they pushed hard for a salary cap.
So true.

Bad owners are a prison as well.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So true.

Bad owners are a prison as well.

Its always the owners. The owners can meddle. Block trades. Create waves and undermine. Not care etc.

The owners can also very quickly use their assumed superior intellect to say... No Brendan this doesn't make sense to have an all NHL rookie coach and GM.

Pretty easy fix for an owner. Ours are just stupid.

Reactions: horner and Al14

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I for one am very glad we traded the Seth Jarvis pick to move Marleau and save capspace for one season where we lost in the first round. Why would you want a young cheap legit top 6 forward who would likely play for your organization for ~10 years and save you $$ on the cap for the first ~3-6 years, when you can save capspace for one season and one season only!

Reactions: LeafSteel

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I for one am very glad we traded the Seth Jarvis pick to move Marleau and save capspace for one season where we lost in the first round. Why would you want a young cheap legit top 6 forward who would likely play for your organization for ~10 years and save you $$ on the cap for the first ~3-6 years, when you can save capspace for one season and one season only!
ouch.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
This is one of Dubious worst moves ever. There was zero reason to have to move a 1st to get rid of Marleau. It looked like a PR move at the time. Trying to make a statement or something. What did he even do with the cap space I dont even remember? We end up losing out on Jarvis who will be a top 6 player for years. Cringe

horner

May 22, 2007
You’re coming to that realization today?

Literally the worst franchise in sports over the the past 55 yrs.
I have realized that since the kurves trade.
We were really bad that yr , I knew then we were doomed as an organization.

This is one of Dubious worst moves ever. There was zero reason to have to move a 1st to get rid of Marleau. It looked like a PR move at the time. Trying to make a statement or something. What did he even do with the cap space I dont even remember? We end up losing out on Jarvis who will be a top 6 player for years. Cringe
We weren't even good that yr.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This team is one of the dumbest teams in all hockey.

Everything they do is facepalmingly stupid. Nothing has changed since Shanahan took over. It's still just one dumb decision after another.

Stupid team does stupid things.

The only difference between now and the Ballard years is they actually believe they're being smart now. When Ballard was making dumb trades there were no delusions it was about anything other than money or if he hated the player. When this team makes trades it's because they think it will make them more competitive.

Instead they accidentally make themselves worse while trying to make themselves better.

This isn't something limited to just Shanahan either. It's a symptom of the gross incompetency that permeates the entire organization. That's because the owners are even dumber than the rest of them.

Stupid coach.

Stupid GM. Stupid President. Stupid owners.

Stupid team.

I hear more logical ideas here then action from MLSE.. They hire Dubas, smart people are here saying what are you thinking, are you playing out some money ball fantasy thing. NuHockey... Again, what are they thinking. Keefe, oh boy rookie coach and on and on and on. Yes they are stupid. Its no longer a fringe comment to make. They are decades proven dopes that cant find success for all their riches.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
loser .org

1715953837057.png

Reactions: horner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad