GDT: We’re not in Carolina anymore FLA@CAR

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Seems to get abused on any breakaway in game and sniped with "perfect shots" all the time. Throw in a nice soft goal. He just isn't good enough. Getting beat with "perfect shots" and giving up back-breaking goals is late-career Ward to a tee.

He’s not a good breakaway goalie... he did shut out Dallas in the SO.

the Pavelski goal to tie it and the first goal from Huberdeau were lasers and they picked the corner. Those are tough to stop for any goalie. Sometimes you have to tip your hat on shots like that and try to not let them take them.

That 3rd goal was disgusting though.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Nah, he gave up one bad goal, two were on spectacular plays and the fourth was a breakaway where he got hung out to dry. Ned's fine.
Agree to disagree.

Ned is a marginal backup at best. He's the kind of goalie you employ if wins aren't exactly what you're looking for on a consistent basis.

He's a Michael Leighton type. You aren't going to win because of him, but you might lose because of him.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Ned isn't an NHL starter right now, but then again, he's not supposed to be. He's our third string guy only playing as much as he is because our starter is injured and we have a highly compressed schedule. If you're comparing him to Cam Ward while he's playing in that role, he's doing fine.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Nah, he gave up one bad goal, two were on spectacular plays and the fourth was a breakaway where he got hung out to dry. Ned's fine.

Sorry, the rules state we're allowed to make whatever ridiculous claims we like for 30 minutes after a loss. The Chicken Little rule still applies.

After 30 minutes, then logic can return.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Oh C'mon Ned is fine.
Fine isn't good enough for this team. It's barely good enough for our shitty Peters years. I mean, Jesus, even putting aside the goals, flopping around like he's making snow angels when the puck is nowhere close to him and making routine saves look amazing. He's not good enough.

Reactions: Svechhammer

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I’d take Reimer 10 out of 10 over Ned. Reimer hasn’t played his best lately, and he still looks about equal to the best we’ve seen Ned play.

But Reimer can’t handle the load alone. Pretty sure Bibeau isn’t an improvement on Ned.

until Mrazek is back they need to be able to win games with Ned, because they can’t ride Reimer that hard.

Reactions: Tryamw

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Tough loss but Panthers wanted it more through tenacious forecheck after the first.

In a big game need your goalie to make the big save and no goof ups.

finally need a lot more from Hamilton and svech/necas (he needs to play tougher and his fancy skating is often useless). Great play but Brady S needs to stay with his man.

Reactions: Tryamw

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Agree to disagree.

Ned is a marginal backup at best. He's the kind of goalie you employ if wins aren't exactly what you're looking for on a consistent basis.

He's a Michael Leighton type. You aren't going to win because of him, but you might lose because of him.

He's a #3 goalie and more or less a rookie. Not sure what you're expecting here. I'm not going to sit around blaming the goalie when the team played like ass for 2/3rds of the game and 3 of the 4 goal plays were essentially unstoppable.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
But Reimer can’t handle the load alone. Pretty sure Bibeau isn’t an improvement on Ned.

until Mrazek is back they need to be able to win games with Ned, because they can’t ride Reimer that hard.
Fine. But start the third string goalie against Chicago or Columbus or Detroit. We had two days and no travel before playing the best team in the division. I’d play our best goalie at that point, not the backup’s backup.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I’d take Reimer 10 out of 10 over Ned. Reimer hasn’t played his best lately, and he still looks about equal to the best we’ve seen Ned play.

You are insane, James has looked awful this year. Ned has actually played pretty well but hasn't gotten 7 goals in support

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Chicken Little rule and ostrich rule.

Lots of folk eager to get Mrazek back. For the entirety of last season his numbers were almost identical to Ward's in 17-18, with a significantly better defense.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Blame Gardiner for that terrible pass in OT.
Blame Skjei for going on autopilot and not covering his man in front of the net.
Blame Ned for letting in 1 terrible goal but don’t blame him for the teams loss.

We had chances in the 3rd and OT and either didn’t convert or just botched it. Martinook and Slavin had some pretty bad plays where we gave up the puck and our position and momentum

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You are insane, James has looked awful this year. Ned has actually played pretty well but hasn't gotten 7 goals in support
I mean this kind of just highlights that our goaltending situation absolutely needs to be fixed.

Enough p***yfooting around with this. We have too much damn talent on this team to be undone by marginal play in net. If Mrazek is supposed to be 1a, then we need more reliability at 1b. Neither Reims nor Ned are giving me that much confidence this year.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Fine. But start the third string goalie against Chicago or Columbus or Detroit. We had two days and no travel before playing the best team in the division. I’d play our best goalie at that point, not the backup’s backup.

The best goalie right now is Ned, Reimer has sucked. If Petr is not ready start Ned James gets clean up duty

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
He has looked bad for himself this year. And he is still better than Ned. Which is my point. Reimer will regress back to his normal which is pretty good. Ned is playing about as good as I've seen him play, and he is still substandard as a backup. He might get better. But he might not. This might be peak Ned. Is this what we want to through out there on a team otherwise tricked out for a cup run?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I mean this kind of just highlights that our goaltending situation absolutely needs to be fixed.

Enough p***yfooting around with this. We have too much damn talent on this team to be undone by marginal play in net. If Mrazek is supposed to be 1a, then we need more reliability at 1b. Neither Reims nor Ned are giving me that much confidence this year.

There is no team in the league with 2 number one net minders, while Ned and James are solid back ups not sure any team can top our top 3 of Petr, James and Ned. Sometimes you are just dealing with injuries

Reactions: WreckingCrew

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
The team suck pretty hard tonight. Slavin isn't there yet. Lots of bonehead plays, and defensive breakdowns. Ned is fine, but as stated he's a 3rd stringer. Don't get emotional about Ned. Still got a point. This team finds ways. We've said that before and it wasn't true. It's certainly true this season.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

As I pointed out around page 2:
Feb. 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, Mar. 1, 2, 4.

10 games there. I think Ned needs to start at least 4 of these, not just the 3 B2B. Reimer was worked pretty hard with 40 shots last game.

Split the Chi games.
Give Reimer 2 of the 3 TB games.
Then figure out the last 4, maybe Mrazek is back by then.

I think giving Reimer 19, 22, 24, 27, 1 or 2, and 4 makes sense.

you play Reimer tonight then he has 4 games in just over a week. That’s not a workload Reimer works well with, which is why he’s a good backup but has struggled as a starter, especially as a veteran.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad