We’re just trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
For years, I’ve read posts that are cogent, thoughtful and interesting, but, for whatever reason, contain grammatical errors, misspellings, words that don’t mean what the authors think they mean, etc (I have done this myself, perhaps in this post).

Being a condescending jerk, my immediate impulse is to fire off a rebuttal, such as, “It’s not “pump the breaks“, it’s “brakes“, like the action you take to slow a vehicle.”

However, this tends to derail the thread and make people dislike you, so I propose we have this refuge for those of us want the satisfaction of venting and being condescending and jerky, but without some of the blowback. This way the other threads will be able to continue on course.

Examples:
It’s “would have”, not “would of”.
A contingency is a backup plan, a contingent is a group of people.
Myself is only appropriate when I am the subject of the sentence.

I may be the only one who thinks this is a good idea, of course, and I won’t be offended if any other condescending, jerky posters say so, but again, we’re just trying to help.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I once started a thread titled “the precipitous fall of Taylor Hall” and 3 of the first 5 responses were chucklef***s saying “lol big word, why big word when short word exist?” So then I edited it to a much more obscure word, because f*** em, they weren’t even trying to conversate in the first place. Anyways, then the thread got shut down because it turns out that’s not a productive way to have a conversation, but meanwhile- seriously? I didn’t derail shit, I used one google-able word and suddenly we can’t talk about how bad Hall sucks. Sad.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
For years, I’ve read posts that are cogent, thoughtful and interesting, but, for whatever reason, contain grammatical errors, misspellings, words that don’t mean what the authors think they mean, etc (I have done this myself, perhaps in this post).

Being a condescending jerk, my immediate impulse is to fire off a rebuttal, such as, “It’s not “pump the breaks“, it’s “brakes“, like the action you take to slow a vehicle.”

However, this tends to derail the thread and make people dislike you, so I propose we have this refuge for those of us want the satisfaction of venting and being condescending and jerky, but without some of the blowback. This way the other threads will be able to continue on course.

Examples:
It’s “would have”, not “would of”.
A contingency is a backup plan, a contingent is a group of people.
Myself is only appropriate when I am the subject of the sentence.

I may be the only one who thinks this is a good idea, of course, and I won’t be offended if any other condescending, jerky posters say so, but again, we’re just trying to help.
Petty grammar correction is usually a tactic employed when someone doesn't have a valid counter-argument or rebuttal.

Reactions: jmelm

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

I am a bit unclear on the rules.

Say, for instance, your sentence above. Would it be productive to point out that it is not grammatically correct? Or would that be an example of being "condescending and jerky"?

Asking for a friend...

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
I took it as more of a year-round Festivus thread with airing of grievances where otherwise it might derail important Summer hawkey conversation or prove to be contentious in nature Or perhaps it is just a place where we can abandon punctuation and freely post calumny about other clubs and their have-not/girrafid poor rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad