GDT: WCSF | IV | "Make It So" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 4.14.24 | 7:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Ok statistically speaking alone…sure?

Also please find some evidence for the first claim. I think it was less Ullmark being completely invested in Boston and more Holland being too loyal to Smith.

But I don’t really think these stats would translate in reality if Ullmark was the starter.

Firstly, the sample size for both is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too small. Campbell has 18 GP vs Ullmark has 10.

Campbell’s 4 games for us were all in relief too. Different situation for a goalie and a team than a straight up start. In these 4 games he has 31 saves TOTAL with 28 coming in one game.

So peeling back the layer on Campbell’s playoff stats shows that they’re quite inflated due to situations alone. Sure he might be Osgood 2.0, but there’s an equal chance he’s as bad as he was early in the year.
I thought I saw that somewhere a few years ago when Ullmark decided to sign with Boston and wanting to stay around that area.

With hindsight there isn't anything wrong with trying to keep Smith. We might have won the cup that year if Avs wasn't so good. I honestly think we'd beat Vegas with Smith in net. Heck, I doubt the Oilers lose any games this playoffs with Smith in net.

Campbell bigger sample size means he's the better playoffs goalie

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Campbell good for Toronto in playoffs. Not his fault the "core" can't score. Guy came here and naturally we destroyed his development with hot junk like Schwartz.

Now that’s some revisionist history.

Campbell’s warts were shown to everyone in 2022-23. Eerily similar to his problems in Edmonton actually.

Holland just didn’t pay attention or hoped he could maintain his hot form for an entire year rather than a month.

In a lot of ways he’s the anti-Stu. In short stints Campbell can play really well, but struggles over time. Skinner in short stints can be downright god awful, but over time he will get comfortable and succeed.

Reactions: PuckG and guymez

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
McTavish called out nuge and Mcleod. Said if they're generating zero offense they need to hit like lindholm.
If you are healthy and McDavid has a higher hits per 60 than you and you aren't generating offense, you should really be looking in the mirror and asking what the heck are you doing out there.

Reactions: TB12

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I mean even look at Hellebuyck, so good in the regular season and outside his first playoffs not good at all in the playoffs. Some guys just find another gear in the playoffs- Roloson, Drai and some guys crumble under the pressure- Skinner, Hellebuyck, Nuge
Yeah always felt it was a regret trading nuge when his value was high after his 100 point compiler season.

Guy did nothing in playoffs last year except statpad on the pp. I feel his role is highly replaceable on there like Barrie.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
The Oilers made mistakes in game 3 and did show up. Both things are true. The Oilers dominated game 3 and any mistake seemed to find the back of our net. To wit Nucks packing only 6 HDSC and getting 4 by Skinner. The Oilers constantly pressured Nucks into errors, losing battles and it was full court press in Nucks zone several times in the game. yeah they were making errors, they got saved almost all the time. What some good goaltending can do.

Even highly critiqued goalies like Giorgiov saved his team that didn't even show for two periods last night until Dallas finally put game out of reach in third.
Toews was the biggest loss last night. If we lost Ekholm, it is same comparison. Defence is a key to championships in any sport

Reactions: Drivesaitl

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Campbell good for Toronto in playoffs. Not his fault the "core" can't score. Guy came here and naturally we destroyed his development with hot junk like Schwartz.
TO didn't even want to touch him for the price and Holland thought he was a genius.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah always felt it was a regret trading nuge when his value was high after his 100 point compiler season.

Guy did nothing in playoffs last year except statpad on the pp. I feel his role is highly replaceable on there like Barrie.
Kinda hard to trade guys with NMC though. And if you do, you aren't getting full value for the guy

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
If you are healthy and McDavid has a higher hits per 60 than you and you aren't generating offense, you should really be looking in the mirror and asking what the heck are you doing out there.
Nuge on the forcheck in Vancouver zone when a Canucks dman is against the boards retrieving the puck.. He will never hit him. Just skate on to the guy who's been passed the puck. Such a soft perimeter player.

Reactions: joestevens29

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Now that’s some revisionist history.

Campbell’s warts were shown to everyone in 2022-23. Eerily similar to his problems in Edmonton actually.

Holland just didn’t pay attention or hoped he could maintain his hot form for an entire year rather than a month.

In a lot of ways he’s the anti-Stu. In short stints Campbell can play really well, but struggles over time. Skinner in short stints can be downright god awful, but over time he will get comfortable and succeed.
I agree.
There were plenty of red flags around Campbell. Apparently they werent obvious enough for Holland though.

Also...thats an interesting way to look at both Skinner and Campbell.
Rings true.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Every team has a guy like RNH on the team. Someone to help take the team to the playoffs and disappears there. He doesn't cost too much and doesn't hurt the team. The issue is we have Foegele, McLeod, Nurse, Ceci as well who take more than they give.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Ekholm maintenance day is troubling after the two truck hits opening shift on a sleeping Oiler return to home ice. Stretcher was brought in to be a veteran #7 insurance policy. Fact Oilers are skipping over him for their LD inexperienced #8 option is likely a tell that Ekholm is playing hurt.

This is a concern if their best defensive defender and two-way elite is compromised.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
The Oilers didn't hang Skinner to dry he hung himself by having the worst save % in the playoffs and having some alltime worst goalie playoff stats among goalies with 20 or more games. he's even done that while the Oilers are playing reasonable to good all round games.

Stop playing the tiring Skinner victim games and I'll stop correcting.
Skinner was beyond brutal. He must not have played any baseball growing up because his glove hand is very slow to react and it sucks. His lateral movement side to side is terrible. That one that Zadorov scored over his shoulder was a series killer so far. They cant go in. Skinner has let in @ 5 very weak goals this playoffs. He cant make that big stop when we need it, never

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Every team has a guy like RNH on the team. Someone to help take the team to the playoffs and disappears there. He doesn't cost too much and doesn't hurt the team. The issue is we have Foegele, McLeod, Nurse, Ceci as well.
Problem is this team only buys high. Never sells high. The value for nuge is an asset another sucker team could take on.

There were rumors Boston wanted him in the off season. Boston has a lot of pieces I like.

Reactions: Canovin

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I thought I saw that somewhere a few years ago when Ullmark decided to sign with Boston and wanting to stay around that area.

With hindsight there isn't anything wrong with trying to keep Smith. We might have won the cup that year if Avs wasn't so good. I honestly think we'd beat Vegas with Smith in net. Heck, I doubt the Oilers lose any games this playoffs with Smith in net.

Campbell bigger sample size means he's the better playoffs goalie

I mean that’s not the right conclusion to come to lol.

Ullmark’s smaller sample size is because he’s backing up Swayman. Who is better than him.

Campbell’s sample size is because he played two 1st round series that went to 7 and performed well in a backup role.

This does not mean Campbell > Ullmark.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I just hope the crowd gets behind Pickard, gives him some Pickard chants after some good saves and gets a big W. A change has finally been made and I'm looking forward to seeing a refreshed team tonight. Let's Go Oilers!!!!

Okay thanks.
Someone else answered after me though, I guess it's confirmed and Brown is out

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
So you're going to walk into that room and tell them that guy they tried to send into oblivion is going to start the most meaningful game of the season?

You are out of your f***ing mind if you think they entertain this.

It's stunning to me how people look at things like this as if it's a board game and there is no human/team element to the decision. It's completely asinine, this isn't a video game where you can shuffle players around and have it just work.

Playing Campbell isn't realistic in any sense anyways because the series would effectively be over by the time he got a chance. If Pickard crumbles tonight you can bet your house that Skinner is getting the chance to rectify whatever the hell has happened in Game 5. If he shits the bed there too we're done. Campbell isn't playing even if we want him to.

Reactions: joestevens29

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I just hope the crowd gets behind Pickard, gives him some Pickard chants after some good saves and gets a big W. A change has finally been made and I'm looking forward to seeing a refreshed team tonight. Let's Go Oilers!!!!

Someone else answered after me though, I guess it's confirmed and Brown is out
Hm. Interesting, as long as Ek and Bunny is in. I’m good.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Problem is this team only buys high. Never sells high. The value for nuge is an asset another sucker team could take on.

There were rumors Boston wanted him in the off season. Boston has a lot of pieces I like.

Teams never trade 100 point players unless they’re forced to.

Retaining him was the right decision.

Hindsight is 20/20. I’m sure any GM would entertain trading him if they knew what this year’s campaign entailed.

One thing the Nucks did right was allowing Silovs to play a few meaningless games before the playoffs which the Oilers didn't with Campbell or Rodrigue

I’m pretty sure that’s because both DeSmith and Demko were injured.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
A Ken Dryden out of Cornell story. I'm jk but Ken Dryden played 6 games of regular season before annihilating every opponent on the way to the cup in what was not even his rookie season. One of the most memorable hockey events I'd ever seen. Dryden slammed the door on the illustrious Bruins and Hawks both of whom were considered favorites as the Habs had a bit of a lul before Dryden arrived.

Dryden, Tretiak, Cheevers, Tony Esposito, they were goalies that started my fascination with goalies and goaltending. Different styles all. I was too young to see the greats like Sawchuk, etc.
I got a funny Ken Dryden story for ya. I was at a preseason game in Halifax in 1978 at the new Metro Center between Habs and Hawks. Bobby Orr was in lineup . We were in the lower bowl and I went down close to the glass. You could say anything you wanted back then at the players and never got thrown out. Anyway, the Habs took the ice for warmup and Dryden lead them out on the ice. 2 fellas were right behind me and yell out " fuk Off Dryden, you french fuking fa_ (slang word for gay)" . You could hear them all thru the rink. Dryden looks up, shoots a dirty look and says " I am not French" and laughs

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Teams never trade 100 point players unless they’re forced to.

Retaining him was the right decision.

Hindsight is 20/20. I’m sure any GM would entertain trading him if they knew what this year’s campaign entailed.

I’m pretty sure that’s because both DeSmith and Demko were injured.
I mean he's still a pretty good bargain and I don't think anyone expecting him to replicate last year's numbers.

Even these playoffs offensively he has okay numbers. The problem is his lack of intensity and stepping up to seize the moment.

He wanted to be here after going through a long struggle with some of the teams we had earlier in his career. As a vet he needs to show more and elevate his game.

I got a funny Ken Dryden story for ya. I was at a preseason game in Halifax in 1978 at the new Metro Center between Habs and Hawks. Bobby Orr was in lineup . We were in the lower bowl and I went down close to the glass. You could say anything you wanted back then at the players and never got thrown out. Anyway, the Habs took the ice for warmup and Dryden lead them out on the ice. 2 fellas were right behind me and yell out " fuk Off Dryden, you french fuking fa_ (slang word for gay)" . You could hear them all thru the rink. Dryden looks up, shoots a dirty look and says " I am not French" and laughs
I mean I get where the fellas were coming from. Everyone just assumed you were french if you played for the Habs back in the day.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I'm glad Knoblauch is splitting up 97 & 29, go back to what worked during the season.

11-7 is kinda scary if Ekholm can't play much. Ohhhhhhh doctor
See this perplexes me. I'm an outlier here, but I would not split them up. Drai is not that great 5 vs 5 on his own line. Combine this with his injury and it's a mess waiting to happen.

The Oilers completely dominated the game after the 1st period and I really don't see the need to over react switch things up. How many posts did we hit? With better goaltending it's 5-1 Oilers.

Also it did work playing them together in the regular season. Isn't the record the same or slightly better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad