GDT: WCSF | IV | "Make It So" | Oilers vs. Canucks | 4.14.24 | 7:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
It's finally happened? We finally played a different goalie? Insane.

Let's hope these clowns stop throwing Muffins up the middle of the ice, and maybe Picard will make the occasional save. Might wanna actually engage your brains for the 1st period.

I also expect a bounce back game from Bouchard. He was rough as hell last game.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Campbell legit isn't even in Edmonton practicing with the team. I beg of you all, please stop pining for him. It's just wasted breath. He's not an option and will never be an option.

Our playoff hopes rest with Captain Pickard. God speed, good sir.
Yes he is with the team. Has only been practicing with the Black Aces/Taxi squad, but he's available. Though I agree the team has no interest in trying that out and pushed themselves into the corner of making that impossible by not giving him a game of two on that year ending grind of 5 games in 7 nights.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
One thing I'm not worried about is Pickard giving up goals on unscreened muffin shots from 25 feet out. I also expect the team in front of him to play a tighter game and give him a chance.

Oilgasms

May 7, 2011
Edmonton
His stats, albeit in a small sample size, were much better than Ceci's actually. So the evidence that we have, again a small amount, is that he is better than Ceci.
Yup, just to go along with this, here's Ceci
1715705165173.png

and here's Stecher:
1715705231030.png

Neither guy is great, but Stech has been fine, even exciting at times as an Oiler. Nurse also seemed to come alive while partnered with him. Troy did take a few penalties in his time, that might be holding him back from getting in the lineup.

Edit: Here's a table showing Nurse-Stech outperforming Nurse-Ceci:
1715705780914.png

Reactions: Porkleaker

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Ceci is minus -8 and Nurse is -6 and it's not only a stat it's the truth of how pathetic that pairing is. They don't hit! They're not physical! They're out of position ALL the time! They dont read plays! They suck at pinching! They cant break the cycle! They give the puck up all the time! Combine those two with a non confident.. below average net minder and it's a disaster. Stetcher needs to replace Ceci at the very least. I'd almost go Broberg and Stetcher paired up because it couldn't possibly get any worse.

Oh.. let's Go Oil!

Good for Picks getting the start!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Time to goalie carousel our way to a Cup.

Hopefully the defence doesn’t shit the bed for Pickard tonight; give him a real chance to shine. With Picks back there hopefully that gives the Oilers a kick in the ass and extra attention is paid to their defensive details. No muffin passes up the center of the ice. No dumb double coverages leaving a man wide open.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013

Hopefully the defence doesn’t shit the bed for Pickard tonight; give him a real chance to shine. With Picks back there hopefully that gives the Oilers a kick in the ass and extra attention is paid to their defensive details. No muffin passes up the center of the ice. No dumb double coverages leaving a man wide open.
To me I think this move does a few things, gives them extra motivation to get a career backup warrior his first playoff win, motivates them to get back to the basics and they'll feel they let Skinner down. Let's go either way!!!!!

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
To me I think this move does a few things, gives them extra motivation to get a career backup warrior his first playoff win, motivates them to get back to the basics and they'll feel they let Skinner down. Let's go either way!!!!!
Yeh it’s got to be extra motivation tonight. Pickard has been everything expected of a 1B/Backup for the Oilers this year. Well liked in the room. Oilers owe him a great defensive game. A Career journeyman that’s finally found a long stretch of good play to get this chance. Hopefully Pickard takes this chance and runs with it. Miracle run incoming.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This is the direction I would go with the lineup assuming that Henrique is still out:

Holloway - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisaitl - Kane
Foegele - McLeod - Brown
Janmark - Ryan - Carrick

Ekholm - Bocuchard
Kulak - Desharnias
Nurse - Ceci

Pickard

Time to change direction on the third line with more speed and actual pursuit ability on the RW. I'd also have time for moving Perry to the 4th and keeping Carrick out. He just can't be playing 3rd line minutes anymore. If McLeod and Foegele continue to be f***ing useless early, relegate them to 4th line minutes and elevate the 4th line. 4th line has been more than fine the whole playoff, time to reward them if L3 can't get out of their own f***ing way.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Yeh it’s got to be extra motivation tonight. Pickard has been everything expected of a 1B/Backup for the Oilers this year. Well liked in the room. Oilers owe him a great defensive game. A Career journeyman that’s finally found a long stretch of good play to get this chance. Hopefully Pickard takes this chance and runs with it. Miracle run incoming.
Getting my Calvin Roloson jersey out for this one! 😎

Anyone but Conklin! Haha

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's finally happened? We finally played a different goalie? Insane.

Let's hope these clowns stop throwing Muffins up the middle of the ice, and maybe Picard will make the occasional save. Might wanna actually engage your brains for the 1st period.

I also expect a bounce back game from Bouchard. He was rough as hell last game.
I'm pumped that its Pickard. KK finally avoids the fatal mistake of his predecessor.

Starting Pickard is right move because Canucks have demonstrated they have book on Skinner through 7 games. How much track we need to suss that out.

Oilers will play their best game of series and win. They will remove doubt early.

As if the reason we are down is the D shitting the bed.

Just get on board with the team anytime. The team has been mostly fine. One player has not been.

This game probably will demonstrate what even a modicum of stops does for a team.

Reactions: subnet

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Yup, just to go along with this, here's Ceci
View attachment 870592
and here's Stecher:
View attachment 870593
Neither guy is great, but Stech has been fine, even exciting at times as an Oiler. Nurse also seemed to come alive while partnered with him. Troy did take a few penalties in his time, that might be holding him back from getting in the lineup.

Edit: Here's a table showing Nurse-Stech outperforming Nurse-Ceci: View attachment 870598
its not really his play its the penalties he did take were all from not skating. stecher is like a poor version of barrie......we dont want or need that on the ice imo.

that said if he plays id bet he scores

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm pumped that its Pickard. KK finally avoids the fatal mistake of his predecessor.

Starting Pickard is right move because Canucks have demonstrated they have book on Skinner through 7 games. How much track we need to suss that out.

Oilers will play their best game of series and win. They will remove doubt early.

As if the reason we are down is the D shitting the bed.

Just get on board with the team anytime. The team has been mostly fine. One player has not been.

This game probably will demonstrate what even a modicum of stops does for a team.

I feel like they have him scouted and have since the first game of the year.

Thinking back, a lot of their goals in the regular season and playoff come on off angles shooting low far corner. This is obviously a place to shoot on any goalie, but they seem to be doing it with a consistency and purpose that indicates they know he has trouble with those shots, especially off the rush.

I think one of three things could happen here:

1) Pickard gets on a random hot goalie run like we've seen before around the league and steps in the rest of the way (ideal scenario)

2) Pickard is mediocre, but does enough to win and get us to the next series. Skinner gets in at some point and regains some regular season form in R3 (assuming - and this is a stretch - that the Nucks are the problem this time specifically and not playoffs in general)

3) Pickard also sucks and we are eliminated strictly due to goaltending

I just hope to god it's 1 or 2.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Too many negative narratives surrounding this team. One line team, no goaltending, soft, stars can get run with no pushback, etc etc etc. They need to come out with a convincing, dominating performance, not ease their way into it. Game 6 in 2017 vs the Ducks was a prime example of the heart they need to play with. I miss the heart that team had, Lucic, Kassian, Klefbom, Larsson, young Drai and Mcdavid were flying as they always do, even bottom 6 guys like Letestu and Khaira. This team is probably more "talented" but seems so meh compared to that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad