Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
We. Have plenty of better options

Bains
Lekkermaki

Bains showed absolutely nothing to suggest he's a better option. Aman was rock solid PKing McDavid and Draisaitl while Bains looked completely lost after his first game. That's no shade on the kid either. He just isn't ready yet.

Lekkermaki is fanfic right now. He's barely played AHL games. Could he be a firecracker from the word go? Maybe. That's what training camp is for. But slotting him in the lineup as a sure thing is a quick we to disappoint yourself. Look how long Hoglander took.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
The Canucks need to rid themselves of Mikheyev or simply bury him in Abby for two years .

Hopefully a team will give him a fresh start for a 7th round pick or something .

But 1 goal in what 60 games is just not acceptable

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
The Canucks need to rid themselves of Mikheyev or simply bury him in Abby for two years .

Hopefully a team will give him a fresh start for a 7th round pick or something .

I doubt you can move him. I am interested in seeing what a full offseason working on his legs gets him.

See glimpses of that speed but i think come fall he'll be fully back to 100%. Won't help his hands but might help him on the pk.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Silovs is a huge bright spot and massively exceeded expectations. That doesn't change that the team played way different with Demko vs any other goalie.

We overachieved getting this far with this style of play and it's probably a very different story in both series attacking harder and playing looser/more comfortable risking a counterattack like we did all season with Demko in net. That's not a knock on Silovs, just the reality of how the team played and based on the Green-esque "only come out swinging when behind and desperate" stuff it was probably a Tocchet directive.

Fire Mikheyev into the sun asap this offseason. Gonna wait until we see the injury list before naming everyone else who should follow because right now it's a long list.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I doubt you can move him. I am interested in seeing what a full offseason working on his legs gets him.

See glimpses of that speed but i think come fall he'll be fully back to 100%. Won't help his hands but might help him on the pk.

You can definitely move Mikheyev...the question is really just, how much would it cost you, and how does that balance against what a healthy Mikheyev offers?

Reactions: aquaweenie

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I wouldn’t say there is no chance but they are quite clearly the worst team of the final 4. Same would be said about the Canucks btw.

Edmonton will definitely have a solid shot at the cup and I won’t be mad if they win Considering the last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup was 31 years ago .

But my prediction in the playoffs all along has been Florida but you just never know .

I picked the Denver Nuggets to win the NBA Championship and the Timberwolves eliminated them , so that’s the beauty is in he playoffs nothing is guaranteed no matter how much star power you have

Reactions: Kerberos

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
When I look at this series the weaknesses were Cole playing his wrong side and being too slow need some solid right side d men.

The power play, Newell Brown needs a job last I checked.

The system, shots were 2 to 22 at one point, I understand a defence first approach but this is too much the breakouts from d to forward the oilers kept getting in between getting the puck back from our blue line because that’s where it would always go.

I do like the idea of having size on d but need a mix of both speed and size back there. I’m wondering if there will be some good depth available in the offseason maybe some guys that have made the playoffs and have experience playing these games would be great. I don’t want guys that have won cups but someone hungry and willing those are the players to go after.

The depth although they did show some positive in the regular season were useless in the playoffs.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
Mikheyev had the game on his stick tonight and fumbled it. That goal would have blown the roof off. Absolutely horrendous season, he should be out of the NHL.
I don't even know what Mikheyev actually does.

Like lets take a large sample size of his last 60 games. I feel that is a very generous amount of games for a guy making 4.75m

Can anyone name a single big offensive play he was a part of in those 60 games? I ask that with all seriousness.

Reactions: B-rock

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Just got back from the game, I have no voice left. Say what you will, but that last 10 minutes of the game they poured their heart out to get it close, and I have a ton of respect for them for it. Sat next to some Oilers fan who were great, and some Canucks fans that were losers (zero cheering/telling me to stop jumping up & down in the last 5 minutes), but the crowd overall (especially given the terrible first 30 minutes) was amazing.

I think by the end of the series, and when everyone reflects back on it, the talent gap between the rosters was pretty apparent. We took some massive steps forward this year, but this reminds me after the 2009 and 2010 series where you could see the gap between a 2nd round exit roster vs one that goes all the way (the Oilers aren't the barometer for context, its the Stars/Panthers I'm referring to). The Oilers top end was better than ours, and our depth wasn't at the level it needed to be to make up for the gap.

The culture has been reset, the core guys are in place, we have arguably the best coaching staff in the league, and now it's about making sure we have the right pieces around them to take it to the next level. Important lessons for Petey + Hughes to make sure there game is where it needs to be when we're in this spot again.

Bummed we couldn't sneak one more W in there to get to that conference final, but I'm incredibly optimistic that this is the start of something amazing brewing for the next 2-3 years.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Edmonton will definitely have a solid shot at the cup and I won’t be mad if they win Considering the last time a Canadian team won the Stanley Cup was 31 years ago .

But my prediction in the playoffs all along has been Florida but you just never know .

I picked the Denver Nuggets to win the NBA Championship and the Timberwolves eliminated them , so that’s the beauty is in he playoffs nothing is guaranteed no matter how much star power you have
I hope the Oilers get shit kicked.

Could give two shits about them being the only Canadian team left.

Them and the rest of Canada who never have given a f*** about the Nucks can eat shit.

Go Dallas Go. I want Dad to win a Cup.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I think Mikheyev will either be moved in a cap dump trade or bought out. Allvin and Rutherford have shown they don’t love having inefficient players vs their cap and I think they’ll work to remove that.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Miller was terrible tonight. Very disappointing. I'm fairly certain he's injured though.

Tough series for Miller and it got worse as it went on.

He was a horse all season up until round 2, I think he just simply ran out of gas.

Top players were not good enough in this series but our lack of depth really showed. They need some help, hopefully the roster can be rounded out this summer.

Reactions: B-rock

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
You can definitely move Mikheyev...the question is really just, how much would it cost you, and how does that balance against what a healthy Mikheyev offers?

As we stand, i dont think we can afford to use more currency to just move players out.

Spent a lot these last couple years rounding out the team, unloading baggage with picks attached, and buying players out.

Sometimes you gotta hope for a bounce back year. 2 years at close to $5m is a costly removal.

Reactions: tyhee and biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad