Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He also let two undeflected point shots in. He was Sub 900 in 4 of the 7 games
For sure.

2.89 GAA and .898 SV % this post season.

Did way better than anyone expected but these are still Alex Auld numbers. A healthy Demko putting up these numbers would be very disappointing. Again, not pinning it on Silovs...just saying this team really missed elite goaltending.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'd be down to bring back Myers. I think he'll sign a hometown discount. Lindholm would be my next pick. I think he was one of our best playoff performers. Lastly we have to choose between one of Zaddy and Hronek.

Zadorov please, Hronek can be traded.
Myers on a discounted deal, I’m open to it.
Lindholm, will he be willing to sign that long term?

Let’s see what Jim and Allvin do

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I dont quite agree hes a "slug" he skates pretty well for a big guy.

I wouldnt pay him 4 million but lets not act like we usually do we will just dump so and so and replace him easily. This team lacks speed and size up front.

Again...yes, this team lacks speed and size up front. But Joshua is just size. He's big and once he gets rolling he's okay...but he's a terrible skater. His acceleration is awful. He's not a "fast" player in any practical sense.

We've got a weird mix. We've got guys like Hoggy and Garland who are lightning quick, but still slow as heck in long speed. And we've got guys like Dakota and Myers who cover a lot of ground once they get going...but it takes them three days to get up to speed and they can't react to plays quickly enough when asked to change directions quickly.

That's where i'd be throwing wads of cash at a guy like DeBrusk who gives up a bit in tonnage on the scales to Joshua, but is a massively more effective physical presence because he's fast as heck and has superb instincts as a forechecker. And also just a massively smarter and more skilled player.

If Joshua wants to sign on for sub $3M short-term that's cool. But i don't think he's going to do that. He's a bottom-6 banger who has great chemistry with Garland and that's it. You don't pay those players, even though he came up clutch vs Nashville. Sentimentality kills.

I'm guessing teams will be lined up for a big "goal scoring power forward" UFA like Dakota. And will offer stupid money as a result. There's a point at which you're better off just trading for a guy like like Josh Anderson who is a better, faster version of that...and taking on his own dumb contract.

Reactions: B-rock

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Absolutely it is but unfortunately that’s the worry with him.

Nashville knew you had to hammer him and it’s exactly what they did.

That’s not going to change in any series ever going forward.

He and the team needs to adapt.

He needed to have a reliable outlet to get some pressure off of him. Whether that be a forward coming back or his D partner being able to make an outlet pass. Would have created more space for Hughes.

Reactions: vanuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only d-men under contract for next season are Hughes, Juulsen and Soucy. Hronek is an RFA, so he's back for at least a year once he's qualified.

So I don't see how they can't at least make a push for Zadorov. There's a chance Myers returns on a team-friendly contract. But he'd get a lot more in free agency as a relative rare, right shot d-man with size.

The UFA market for d-men is thin.....and I don't see anyone in Abbotsford who's capable of stepping up. So the only other option is a major trade. And I think that's the way Allvin is probably leaning.

Reactions: calnuck

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Congratulations to the Dallas Stars for the freest series win that they will ever have. I think we can be proud that, even missing our best players, we exposed Edmonton for the team that they truly are. It would be genuinely shocking to see Edmonton win one single game against what is basically a healthier and deeper version of our team

Reactions: geebaan and calnuck

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Tocchet waited too long to restructure the lines, should’ve done it beginning of the 2nd, team started playing great after, moving up Di Giuseppe to take Mikheyev’s place was a no brainer. Not having Boeser was a huge loss, the power play looked terrible without him. Canucks made a respectable push and didn’t go quietly into the night. All in all a great season. The bar for this team has been significantly raised, they won’t be playing with house money next season, with higher expectations comes higher pressure to perform, hope they embrace the challenge to reach the Stanley Cup Finals next season. Go Canucks Go!

dipdap

May 14, 2024
This is easily the most fun I’ve had as a fan in 13 years. I took a big step back after 2011 but have always been lurking, it’s been a blast sharing this experience with you guys. A bit surreal to be coming up on 20 years posting here.

There’s a lot to be frustrated about tonight’s game but it’s hard to come away feeling anything but grateful for this team and the season they’ve had. I’m happy to have Canucks hockey and you all part of my life again.

I could've written this myself. I'm another of the fans that 2011 kinda killed. For me, it was realizing that it was silly to let a game with no real bearing on my life impact me emotionally and then having the riot really just drive it home. I tried to watch the next season, but I couldn't get the bad taste of the riot out of my mouth.

I've lurked since then too and still found the Benning years awful, but this was the first time I've actually cared again. Looking forward to next season. And I'm dying to see the Sedins involved in a cup win for this team - even in management or administration.

Editing to say: f*** the Bruins. Forever.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Have to wonder why the team didnt lay it all on the line in an elimination match and instead only played for the last 8 mins?

Nerves and inexperience but ultimately a disappointing end to a fantastic season

Lenny Levino

May 15, 2024
Imagine if the Oilers goes out and wins the cup now. Bet a lot of Canuck players will be kicking themselves then.

It wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Certainly can't complain about how the season went, just a bit disappointing they couldn't squeak out one more W. I feel like we far exceeded expectations in some areas but came up short in others where we should've gotten more from. Overall though, most fun season to be a fan since 2010-11.

Interesting offseason ahead of Allvin. Can't retain everyone who's contributing and Mik's contract needs to be dealt with. Glaring weaknesses on the wings and RHD. Can Petey figure out his struggles in the offseason and perform? Will Podz/Raty/D Petey take the next step? Get a PP coach for Tocc or will he insist on having full control? Expectations will be higher so there's a ton of important decisions to make.

Reactions: Rotang

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
Absolutely it is but unfortunately that’s the worry with him.

Nashville knew you had to hammer him and it’s exactly what they did.

That’s not going to change in any series ever going forward.

He and the team needs to adapt.
Some of that has to fall on the coaching staff. We knew exactly what Nashville was doing and we also knew that Hronek was compromised and struggling to make outlet passes.

Needed to put more of a priority on adjusting somehow, instead of just leaving him to "battle through it".

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Some brief thoughts

• A disappointing end to an otherwise successful season in terms of upward improvement.
  • Petey can’t go into next season without a firmly established wingman. It’s a crime to have him stuck with Mikheyev, Lafferty etc.
  • I have no idea where to go with the defence group. You could make the case to overhaul the entire unit all over again outside of the signed guys in Hughes and Soucy.
  • I would not be surprised if their top free agents(Lindholm, Zadorov, Joshua) will be tough(impossible) to justify keeping when their market value is determined. They can’t afford to crater the cap of the team off one season of moderate success.
  • Lastly looking way further into the future, I’d like to see them take every opportunity next season to get the prospects in Abbotsford feet wet in NHL games. They need to establish by the deadline next year if there’s any free additions to bolster the depth should there be freak injuries(or just a clear improvement to move in).

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
In the regular season we were able to get out of our zone. In this series we played like the old canucks

Circling back into our own end for no reason

Our faceoffs were awful

Pp was awful

Soft players

Not enough depth

Stars of the playoffs:
Silovs
Garland
Hughes

Honourable memtion to zad and lindholm

The rest of the team sucked
...Boeser?