Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I mean part of the issue is that they laid an egg in Game 6 with the same line combinations that did very well in Game 5.
His insistence on putting mikhehyev and pdg on the top lines irked me. They haven't shown that all season.. why would they show differently now?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I wonder how much mileage we can get out of players just "getting better."

Hughes and Pettersson can get stronger.

Hronek has a lot of holes in his defensive game, but can he plug them?

We need to overhaul the PP completely and hire a brand new PP coach whose only job is to live, breathe and die by the PP. In fact, he should only get paid for each PP goal we score.

5k salary per Canucks PP goal scored.

These are all things we can improve without taking up any extra cap space or trading any assets.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
While I agree, and ideally, don't want to replace him. He simply isn't worth a lofty salary. Especially not when we're so tight against the cap. It's the same with Zadorov except he elevated his game come playoffs whereas Joshua regressed back to being a fourth liner.

I'd happily give him a long term deal but... 3M is the absolute limit on dollar. Frankly, I'd argue it should be less.

Agreed and I think this is where were getting into a different conversation if some are thinking Im suggesting paying him big money. The original post did not mention money. I simply felt this team lacks speed and size and he brings that, its something we badly lack. With that said I wouldnt break the bank for him either and overpay by alot.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I'm sorry but I'm not "just happy to be here" with that kind of effort in a game 7, I don't care if they got a couple while Edmonton was sleeping at the end.

These are the games where you see what your players are made of and we were absolutely lifeless at home for 90% of the game. Inexcusable.
Proud of the team for this season as a whole.

But you’re correct in that that game 7 performance was not acceptable for the majority of the players. They played for 8 minutes. The rest of the game they looked like they were playing a preseason game out there. Not scoring on a 4 minute PP and then another crucial PP later in that game? Just leaves a sour taste after an overachieving season over all.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Definitely didn't expect to be in the playoffs at all this year so I'm not broken up about the loss. Losing Demko really changes how this team plays though, holy shit. It was like when Markstrom went down in the covid year and the team just started collapsing around the net to try to prevent odd-man rushes. Super passive and risk averse. So many situations I could see a d-man making a successful pinch and they would just retreat into the neutral zone afraid to give up an odd-man rush.

At least they made it interesting.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Interesting tocchet is complaining the team is not burying chances, I agree, but the bigger underlying issue imo is in his system this team is not generating enough chances, so every miss is colossal.
no kidding, his team played dump and dont chase for 40mins and he says it's the players fault.

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
Interesting tocchet is complaining the team is not burying chances, I agree, but the bigger underlying issue imo is in his system this team is not generating enough chances, so every miss is colossal.
He’s not gonna get into anything serious this is all Comms master Toch

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
I wonder how much mileage we can get out of players just "getting better."

Hughes and Pettersson can get stronger.

Hronek has a lot of holes in his defensive game, but can he plug them?

We need to overhaul the PP completely and hire a brand new PP coach whose only job is to live, breathe and die by the PP. In fact, he should only get paid for each PP goal we score.

5k salary per Canucks PP goal scored.

These are all things we can improve without taking up any extra cap space or trading any assets.

The PP has a simple fix, just shoot the puck. They don't shoot.

The 5 on 3 PP in game 6 was just pass pass pass pass pass pass. Hockey is just a game of chances, more chances = more goals. If you pepper the net with 40 shots a game, you will mathematically get 2-3 goals a game on average in the NHL.

I'll add that the team actually missed Horvat in the bumper on the PP because once the puck was on his stick, he ripped it.

Last edited:

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Garlands heart these playoffs and especially this series, man we can not lose this guy.

Lindholm was really trying for a team that is new to him, and he was one of the few that I really felt gave it all game.

EP tried everything this game thats not apart of his game staying engaged, all I wanted was for them to show their heart, In the 3rd they did.

Sadly too little too late, it seems they are a team atm that really feeds or falls depending on the momentum, and that 4m pp really killed any of their drive. They went back to a passive dzone box with no aggression on puck carrier and it allowed Oilers to set up. Just a far cry from game 5.

Overall, think the teams lack of experience showed at times, but it's a lesson learned. I won't lean on bs excuses w injuries or whatnot, every teams players are dealing with that.

Missing demko doesn't change the fact that the oil outplayed the canucks for a majority of the series, and silovs played as well as we could have hoped. In the end, the better team won, I for one won't lean on random things as the reason why they did.

It's tough to see atm, but this year was successful overall. Allvin has alot of decisions going forward, but right now after we've seen what they are capable of, I feel lindholm is a priority. He just plays the right way, and when going, he just gives so many options and plays every situation. Love zads, but what he brings in the playoffs, he's gonna get called on half that stuff reg season. If he was willing and wanting to stay with this team cuz it's a good fit for a good price, yea I'd take it every day. But dollars matter.

Wishing Boeser a good recovery, as well as all the players right now that are nursing the injuries. They came into this season determined to change the culture and come in prepared, starting earlier with training. I believe this push to 2nd round will light a fire under their asses and they will be hungry to be even more prepared and determined for next year.

Hopefully that comradery in the dressing room they all talked about, will be something the players will try to sell to the ufas on the team to leave a bit on the table and try to build on this, cuz I believe they key guys everyone talks about have the makings of something special together.

Not much to say besides that, I ride n die w this team, wish they showed up earlier, but you can see what this team is capable or when they get that belief going.

Y'all have been great entertainment these playoffs to read and debate with. Keep that energy goin forward! Long post thanks for the read, will be quietly lurking hahah

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Good night all, been a great season, lots of jokes and messing around with a many of you, its been great, despite some recent power tripping lol. Like @SopelFanThe3rd going thru personal shit this past year and coming to this board has been great to forget personal things. Canucks have been great, i invested too much in the team and feel quite disappointed right now tho i know they exceeeded my expectations by so much. Anyways gonna step out for the night, probably back tomorrow but enjoyed the ride with you guys watching the games at home and keyboarding away when ever we scored and everything else

Man I love this team :yo:

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
I think he played pretty well today, even got physical and threw a few big hits.
I actually thought he was good for the most part too. Easily the best player on his line.

PDG worked hard but his lack of skill was apparent. Mikheyev was Mikheyev, and Miller came up with a dud performance.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Maybe if he let the shackles off early they would have had a chance.

But he neutered them for too long.

Can’t expect to score on every damn shot.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Great regular season and pushed the best team in the NHL after the first month with a ton of playoff experience and expectations to 7 games without Demko and Boeser for game 7. Proud of the team top to bottom

Hughes and Pettersson hopefully grow from this playoffs because our window is not that long with Miller and a lot of contracts that will start to hurt the ability to have depth.

A lot to unpack this off season but this has been a fun ride

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Im leaning towards bringing back Hronek and Myers and letting Zadorov, Lindholm Joshua Cole and Bleuger walk.

A week ago never thought Id ever say that about Zadorov but he really gave a dud the last few games imo, Same with Joshua, thought he brought flashes of great playoff play but couldnt bring it consistently, to a point where its frustrating while Garland was generating everything under the sun all by himself
I'd be down to bring back Myers. I think he'll sign a hometown discount. Lindholm would be my next pick. I think he was one of our best playoff performers. Lastly we have to choose between one of Zaddy and Hronek.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad