Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Im leaning towards bringing back Hronek and Myers and letting Zadorov, Lindholm Joshua Cole and Bleuger walk.

A week ago never thought Id ever say that about Zadorov but he really gave a dud the last few games imo, Same with Joshua, thought he brought flashes of great playoff play but couldnt bring it consistently, to a point where its frustrating while Garland was generating everything under the sun all by himself

I’d keep Zadorov and bounce Hronek, no way we gonna pay that contract to him. Joshua was ass leakage this playoff. Cole was horrible, Lindholm I’m not so sure of.

Reactions: bbud

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Skill or size issue.

You either have soft guys who have skill but can't win puck battles or get rubbed off the puck easily or you have guys who can win puck battles and races but cannot maintain control of the puck.

It's a very awkward mix and the end result was the entire team from lines 1 through 4 having major issues maintaining zone time or retrieving the puck in the offensive zone. Passes were shit and many guys would simply get rubbed off the puck with relative ease (Pettersson, Hoglander, Mihkeyev, Lafferty, Blueger, Joshua, Garland).
Bang on.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
So, on one hand the players didn't completely listen to Tocchet. All year he hasn't said that they should sit back, he's usually a proponent of creating pressure. So they choked a bit.

On the other hand, Knoblauch to his credit just made his team copy Nashville, down to the heavy forecheck and the shot blocking. And Tocchet had no answer. Basically in that scenario the series became a coin flip and we beat nashville because we have better talent. Then for two games the Oilers beat us because they have better talent.

So there's a lot of work to do. I just hope Tocchet has the self awareness to be able to make these adjustments. You see Bowness is still stubborn as a HC after decades and decades, Tocchet can't be like that if we win unless Allvin can assemble a Colorado or Vegas level stacked roster.

At the same time Petey has to play better. Miller needs help. Both he and Hughes has to be load managed throughout the season. Hughes has to be better in the playoffs as well. The roster as a whole has to learn these things.

This is a fair take. Next year will be the big test to see if this was a fluke season or if there’s something to build on going forward.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think he played pretty well today, even got physical and threw a few big hits.
he'll be making a 11+ million and he played well in game 7 of round two, if he played well all series maybe we move on. I just don't see him as the guy to lead us to a cup

Reactions: Jay26

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Canucks played too passive to start didn't push it until the 3rd properly.

Miller was worse than Petey tonight. Can't tell me different.

Reactions: Szechwan

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
See what happened when they start shooting at the net and tested skinner

got 2 goals. Wish they started doing that whole game not just last 10 mins of 3rd

Reactions: Nopefully

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Im leaning towards bringing back Hronek and Myers and letting Zadorov, Lindholm Joshua Cole and Bleuger walk.

A week ago never thought Id ever say that about Zadorov but he really gave a dud the last few games imo, Same with Joshua, thought he brought flashes of great playoff play but couldnt bring it consistently, to a point where its frustrating while Garland was generating everything under the sun all by himself

I dont know I mean I get these joshua takes, but it seems to be some what have you done for me lately thinking here. Lots of guys didnt show up. This team lacks speed and size up front, guys like him are not easy to replace.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I’d keep Zadorov and bounce Hronek, no way we gonna pay that contract to him. Joshua was ass leakage this playoff. Cole was horrible, Lindholm I’m not so sure of.
Zadorov was figured out by the Oilers mid series and owned him after that. He couldnt dominate like he did against Nashville and the first part of this series. Too bad, he looked great until his mojo was nipped away

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024

I don’t mind big Z but paying a lot for Left D seems like a poor cap priority given the holes in the top 6 forward lines.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
In the regular season we were able to get out of our zone. In this series we played like the old canucks

Circling back into our own end for no reason

Our faceoffs were awful

Pp was awful

Soft players

Not enough depth

Stars of the playoffs:
Silovs
Garland
Hughes

Honourable memtion to zad and lindholm

The rest of the team sucked

Reactions: geebaan

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Edmonton's PK won them this series. Canucks got stood up at the line on EVERY zone entry and the Canucks did not adjust. It's ironic, because we thought it would be the Oilers PP to kill us. We solved it after game 5.

Reactions: vanuck

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It would've been tough to go deep missing your No. 1 goalie and winger, but I feel there are still improvements to be made on the tactical side. Needless to say our PP was brutal, and the lack of 5v5 puck support throughout both series was evident whenever the opponent put heavy pressure on the forecheck. We needed to counter this by bringing a man back to provide another outlet, unfortunately Tocchet never really adjusted.

All eyes will be on management now to see if we can retain our depth pieces on surplus-value contracts. Let's see if Allvin and Rutherford can cook once more...

While the end result was certainly disappointing, I'm still proud of the season overall. It was fun to see them make a run of it regardless. Excited to see what's in store!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I dont know I mean I get these joshua takes, but it seems to be some what have you done for me lately thinking here. Lots of guys didnt show up. This team lacks speed and size up front, guys like him are not easy to replace.

Joshua is part of the speed problem though. He's a slug with decent top speed. But he's a bad skater and very slow overall.

If he wants the sort of $4M+ deal he's set himself up for...i'm out tbh. He's just not that good. He owes half of whatever his next paycheque is to Garland.

I'd throw that money and then some at a guy like Jake DeBrusk. Who can actually skate and gets to the net more reliably and has better hands and skill to play in the Top-6 as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad