Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Maddening that Hronek generally refuses to shoot from the point

How many times did we just pass down low and how many times did the oilers s ore from the point?

considering the bombs our defensemen have, none of them used it until the final minutes of game 7?

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
What if canucks had acquired guentzel and tanev ( obviously assets fans didnt want to give up would have been traded)

Pretty sure they would have beaten the oilers in this series but would they have been good enough to defeat dallas(without tanev playing for them) next round and also win the cup in the finals??

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Everybody focuses on the deficiencies in this game....but forget about the egg they laid in Edmonton in Game #6.

The Oilers were beatable in this series.....but at the end of the day, the Canucks lost the last two games of the series, and for the most part were dominated.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
The worst part is:

McDavid in Game 7: 0 points
Draisaitl in Game 7: 1 secondary assist

We didn't even lose to those guys.

We lost to the Oilers as a team.
Well, the Oilers, when playing a team game are actually pretty good, despite what they have in net. The worst thing about this series is I've lost so much interest in McDavid as a player due to his diving and whining, although he did seem to lay of the shenanigans for the last couple of games. Not sure if it's not just sour grapes or whether the guy is as bad as he seemed in this series.

Reactions: calnuck

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Silovs needs to learn when to activate to play the puck and get experience moving the puck to his teammates. That'd come with a full season with the team. He should be the backup next year. Can definitely work on the point shots as well.

Hopefully he comes in at a decent ticket on a 2 year contract.

I’m guessing he gets the Hoglander / Podkolzin treatment - 2-year deal with 1-way money in the $1M to $1.5M range.

Reactions: geebaan and Vector

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Played scared majority of playoffs. Just a terrible mindset all playoffs.

Skill or size issue.

You either have soft guys who have skill but can't win puck battles or get rubbed off the puck easily or you have guys who can win puck battles and races but cannot maintain control of the puck.

It's a very awkward mix and the end result was the entire team from lines 1 through 4 having major issues maintaining zone time or retrieving the puck in the offensive zone. Passes were shit and many guys would simply get rubbed off the puck with relative ease (Pettersson, Hoglander, Mihkeyev, Lafferty, Blueger, Joshua, Garland).

Reactions: quat and Jay26

Rotang

Sep 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
This is easily the most fun I’ve had as a fan in 13 years. I took a big step back after 2011 but have always been lurking, it’s been a blast sharing this experience with you guys. A bit surreal to be coming up on 20 years posting here.

There’s a lot to be frustrated about tonight’s game but it’s hard to come away feeling anything but grateful for this team and the season they’ve had. I’m happy to have Canucks hockey and you all part of my life again.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Joshua is not a keeper

He will drive us nuts

Wakes up when he feels like it and then goes back to sleepwalking

He reminds me of Kane. Does zip for long stretches and wales up once in a while

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It seemed like a close series on paper, but in all reality, we were lucky to make it to 7 games.

Game 1 - Oilers up 4-1, that's a win 95% of the time.

Game 2 - they won.

Game 3 - Silovs stood on his head and Skinner got ventilated.

Game 4 - they won.

Game 5 - Canucks were the better team and won.

Game 6 - they won.

Game 7 - they won.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
IMG_0961.jpeg

Hmmmm

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
I'm sorry but I'm not "just happy to be here" with that kind of effort in a game 7, I don't care if they got a couple while Edmonton was sleeping at the end.

These are the games where you see what your players are made of and we were absolutely lifeless at home for 90% of the game. Inexcusable.
This is where I’m at. I had no expectations for this playoffs but to see that kind of effort in a game 7 is inexcusable. I don’t care about the result, I care about the effort.
And whatever the f*** that was, wasn’t it

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Im leaning towards bringing back Hronek and Myers and letting Zadorov, Lindholm Joshua Cole and Bleuger walk.

A week ago never thought Id ever say that about Zadorov but he really gave a dud the last few games imo, Same with Joshua, thought he brought flashes of great playoff play but couldnt bring it consistently, to a point where its frustrating while Garland was generating everything under the sun all by himself

Reactions: Szechwan

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Moving forward it's good to know that our goalie tandem's floor is average and reliable and ceiling top of the league. Great that we have good pieces in miller, hughes, garland, suter, boeser, höglander, soucy who are either in their respective prime or entering it. But the question of EP40 and the depth of the team is an interesting conondrum going to the offseason. I have trust in the front office to figure it out, and trust in the players fighting their game in the fringes, but this spring has shown that once We're one of the 8 teams left, fringe just wont cut it. Lets go canucks!

Reactions: calnuck

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So, on one hand the players didn't completely listen to Tocchet. All year he hasn't said that they should sit back, he's usually a proponent of creating pressure. So they choked a bit.

On the other hand, Knoblauch to his credit just made his team copy Nashville, down to the heavy forecheck and the shot blocking. And Tocchet had no answer. Basically in that scenario the series became a coin flip and we beat nashville because we have better talent. Then for two games the Oilers beat us because they have better talent.

So there's a lot of work to do. I just hope Tocchet has the self awareness to be able to make these adjustments. You see Bowness is still stubborn as a HC after decades and decades, Tocchet can't be like that if we win unless Allvin can assemble a Colorado or Vegas level stacked roster. Even then it's not a given if your coach can't adjust, look at DeBoer.

At the same time Petey has to play better. Miller needs help. Both he and Hughes has to be load managed throughout the season. Hughes has to be better in the playoffs as well. The roster as a whole has to learn these things.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Joshua didn’t do shit this playoffs, guy showed up for 2 games then dipped.

Any discussion of Joshua getting above 3M let alone the 4M that got tossed around pretty much died once the playoffs started. I'd honestly strongly have to ponder whether to go as high as 3M. He's a good player, no doubt about it, but he's clearly limited.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Joshua didn’t do shit this playoffs, guy showed up for 2 games then dipped.

I really think we're going to find out he was playing with a leg/core/groin injury, his usually above average skating was really really bad for almost the entire playoffs.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Before we jump into doom and gloom. I'm really proud of this team. They were counted out at every step. Lost their Vezina-nominated goalie, lost their leading scorer, and yet they still manages to almost bring that back.

It's a serious gut punch but ultimately I think it will be good for the boys.
Shouldn't really be any doom and gloom, well, despite losing two in a row. Tocchet turned a bunch of misfits into a credible defensive team and with some more good moves, it's possible to expect another return to the playoffs next season.

Hard off season decisions ahead and I'm eager to see what they do. A lot of players with question marks after the second half of the season and the playoffs. As mentioned, Pettersson is a complete conundrum. Hope he figures it out, because if he were going at both ends of the ice, I think the Canucks win this going away. But he never found that gear and the Oilers certainly found their team game, so in seven it goes their way.

Reactions: aquaweenie

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Im leaning towards bringing back Hronek and Myers and letting Zadorov, Lindholm Joshua Cole and Bleuger walk.

A week ago never thought Id ever say that about Zadorov but he really gave a dud the last few games imo, Same with Joshua, thought he brought flashes of great playoff play but couldnt bring it consistently, to a point where its frustrating while Garland was generating everything under the sun all by himself
Hronek is not worth the money, spend it on zad

Myers only if he is dirt dirt cheap, otherwise let him go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad