GDT: WCSF GM07 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Mon. May 20th | 6pm PST | SNP/CBC | Just Win, Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
And they rode the PDO train until the bitter end. What we get next season is anyone’s guess. If they think this is turtle strategy is viable, we’re gonna be wasting our time expecting playoff success
Absolutely will not fly next season and if Tocchet comes back with the same bullshit the team will likely be screwed by November. Teams are going to take notes on how to shutdown the Vancouver offense. The players and coaches need to restart from scratch.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
How have the Canucks run out of gas but the Oilers haven't?

They're more top heavy.

Their big players log way more minutes.

We both had a week of rest before this series.

Did the Canucks have some sort of ultra difficult path to the playoffs that I'm forgetting? Pretty sure they were comfortably #1 for most of the season.
Experience

The oilers are used to playing this much playoffs hockey

We aren’t

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I agree his system is way too defensive but honestly,
no one would be against it because we're literally at the top of the league this season.

Adjustments are to be made for sure but it'll have to be next season.
Most teams mail it in in the regular season

Different world in the playoffs

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
It's really not even on the coaching. It's just...there's zero urgency in the powerplay at all. It's stupid and casual and that simply does not work. Simply having the man advantage is not a license to score easy goals. But it seems like that's what they want to do.

Yup, they aren't competing to the level of the PK. Just getting out worked everytime.

Doesn't help when u start by going back for the puck everytime

Reactions: biturbo19

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
For All his flaws, he’s still a top 10 D in the league

I don’t see why you think that’s unacceptable

The margin between the top 10 D in the league is small
Well you see, the thing is, I’ve read this fanbase think Hughes is better than Makar when really Hughes isn’t in the same universe. While I love Hughes, I have my doubts and they pretty much all came to fruition this playoffs.

Btw it’s not just him. Pettersson looking like a huge fraud too

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Can't remember a recent 7 game series where 1 team no-shows in Game 5 and then the other team no-shows in Game 6 and Game 7. All 3 games weren't particularly competitive.

It's like the Canucks lost structural integrity in Game 6. After that, they haven't been able to get it back.

Reactions: Jack Tripper

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB

They're more top heavy.

Did the Canucks have some sort of ultra difficult path to the playoffs that I'm forgetting? Pretty sure they were comfortably #1 for most of the season.

Oilers have relied on their best players for a long time. They're used to it. Canucks have a lot of young players that aren't used to it, veterans that are completely useless

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How they gain the zone, the fact we have like 3 plays, that’s coaching

The point is...they have like "3 plays" and "1 stupid zone entry". That's what happens when you over-coach a powerplay. It becomes predictable, stagnant, repetitive. All the awful things about this powerplay are signs of too much coaching, if anything. They're playing it like a football play is drawn up and it does not work that way.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Well you see, the thing is, I’ve read this fanbase think Hughes is better than Makar when really Hughes isn’t in the same universe. While I love Hughes, I have my doubts and they pretty much all came to fruition this playoffs.
Makar was worse than Hughes this playoffs.

I don’t care who you think is better but your justification doesn’t make sense.

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018

They're more top heavy.

They have more talent. Look at the slop of wingers on the Canucks that aren’t really skilled play driving guys. The only good wingers are Boeser and Garland.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Last two games kinda reminds me of the lasta couple games against the Golden Knights in the bubble. Had some luck in the series, got some wins off amazing goaltending, but completely caved in at the end and the team just looked exhausted, no real pushback. Team just looks gassed, just like in 2020

Whats up with that, is that on the leadership of the team, a coincidence, something to be concerned about, a nothing burger???? I dont know

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The point is...they have like "3 plays" and "1 stupid zone entry". That's what happens when you over-coach a powerplay. It becomes predictable, stagnant, repetitive. All the awful things about this powerplay are signs of too much coaching, if anything. They're playing it like a football play is drawn up and it does not work that way.
Over coaching is still a coaching issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad