GDT: WCSF GM07 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Mon. May 20th | 6pm PST | SNP/CBC | Just Win, Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I’m not sure I’d pay to re-sign Joshua at the rate that he would ask for. He has had moments this playoffs, but he hasn’t been the consistent player that deserves that sort of money IMO. I trust management to find the next Joshua on the UFA market.

Lindholm I would re-sign. Center depth is so hard to find and Tocchet trusts him only 2nd to Miller in any situation.

Zadorov I would pay—but I would consider trading Soucy if you make that deal. You cannot afford to have that much salary tied up in your bottom-two LD.

Hronek I qualify and trade. Seek a Tanev or Pesce or Roy on the UFA market instead.

Blueger is a nice complementary player. But I don’t think you can afford to pay him the $2m he’ll ask for to be on the bottom-line.

Cole, thank you for stabilizing our defense in the regular season, but you are at the cliff now. Goodbye.

Myers I would re-sign at less than $3m on a 2y or less term. But otherwise I think you let him walk.

Pettersson… his NMC doesn’t start until 2025-26. I think you at least listen to see if there is someone out there willing to make an interesting 1-for-1 trade. Think Subban-for-Weber. But I don’t think you put him on the market for a package deal—which would be a hard trade to win.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's be objective here.....with Demko gone and Boeser now gone for the rest of the season, we just wouldn't match up very well with Dallas anyway.

The Canucks are still an incomplete canvass.....and both Allvin and Rutherford know it. But to their credit they went out acquired the players they thought they needed for a long playoff run and expended a lot of draft capital to do it.

No complaints, if you're a Canucks fan. They added to their group and 'went for it'.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Team speed and breakouts have been abysmal this series. Totally exposed by Edmonton.

Reality is...it's a slow team overall. They've masked it a lot this year with really structured ladder breakouts going East-West most of the width of the ice and moving the puck quickly that way. But the Preds absolute neutered that and the offense died.

Oilers look like they've made some subtle adjustments to do the same thing. And it really shows.

Even with Boeser...we just do not have very many (or any?) players who can truly generate their own chances through the neutral zone without the help of a structured breakout plan. The Oilers have half a dozen of those guys who can break the neutral zone all by themselves.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Whatever happens, this team has made it further than any other Nucks team has, other than the 3 cup run years.
If you had told me in September that we'd go to game 7 in the west semi I would have had been completely ecstatic.
This is a good team. Not as good as we were in the first half, but a good team. There's obviously reasons we haven't played well in the playoffs and we'll find that out soon. I'm proud or our boys no matter what, and at least we all got a taste of what it's like after game 82.
We have a good chunk of peeps who are not even into their prime yet and a number of kids that are about ready to break into the league. We'll be back. Even if it's not next year, we'll be back and be regulars in the playoffs again.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!
The issue is we do that and think our problems are over. Team went far because of goaltending and dumb luck, not because we dominated

The sad thing is this may take management off the hook to make obvious changes required

Myers - gone
Mik - gone
Laffy - gone
Hronek - dump him for whatever we get
Cole - gone

That is just the start

Reactions: Jay26

Big zZz

May 13, 2024
I still think players like Hughes and Petey can take a lot from this experience. It's their first real playoff run. Rome wasn't built in a day.

It's easy to Pick the main guys apart now as they should be the ones leading the charge but Soucy, Joshua, hronek etc. are just as much at fault.

Even miller. Where's the bite we seen in the preds series?

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Let's be objective here.....with Demko gone and Boeser now gone for the rest of the season, we just wouldn't match up very well with Dallas anyway.

The Canucks are still an incomplete canvass.....and both Allvin and Rutherford know it. But to their credit they went out acquired the players they thought they needed for a long playoff run and expended a lot of draft capital to do it.

No complaints, if you're a Canucks fan. They added to their group and 'went for it'.
We had a chance to literally derail the Oilers as a franchise.

If they lost this game to us, there are likely big changes happening the summer for them.

Reactions: Red

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Exactly not a great finish but great job getting there we've seen comebacks lets hope)
This series shows we shouldn’t prioritize status quo. We need to upgrade our backend’s ability to move the puck out, improve our winger speed, keep Lindholm and add a goal scoring winger

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Going to be tough going forward.

The goaltending was the only reason they got as far as it did. Demko or Silovs provides hope.

Defense was overall decent but going to have massive turnover. Hronek showed he’s incapable and should be moved. Hughes did not look good at all and showed what we all worried about; hit him constantly and his body can’t take it.

Forwards were most terrible. Lindholm showed fairly well but he will be gone. Boeser was outstanding but now has bigger issues to deal with. Miller was a yoyo. EP a complete no show which does not bode well.

Team is still slower than molasses and gets exposed with speed when the system breaks down.

The PP was atrocious, never got fixed and likely resulted in the 2nd round exit. PK was better but not great.

Allvin needs a huge offseason because the playoffs exposed a lot of weaknesses and the teams left in the West aren’t going away next year either.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I’m not sure I’d pay to re-sign Joshua at the rate that he would ask for. He has had moments this playoffs, but he hasn’t been the consistent player that deserves that sort of money IMO. I trust management to find the next Joshua on the UFA market.

Lindholm I would re-sign. Center depth is so hard to find and Tocchet trusts him only 2nd to Miller in any situation.

Zadorov I would pay—but I would consider trading Soucy if you make that deal. You cannot afford to have that much salary tied up in your bottom-two LD.

Hronek I qualify and trade. Seek a Tanev or Pesce or Roy on the UFA market instead.

Blueger is a nice complementary player. But I don’t think you can afford to pay him the $2m he’ll ask for to be on the bottom-line.

Cole, thank you for stabilizing our defense in the regular season, but you are at the cliff now. Goodbye.

Myers I would re-sign at less than $3m on a 2y or less term. But otherwise I think you let him walk.

Pettersson… his NMC doesn’t start until 2025-26. I think you at least listen to see if there is someone out there willing to make an interesting 1-for-1 trade. Think Subban-for-Weber. But I don’t think you put him on the market for a package deal—which would be a hard trade to win.

I agree with all this wholeheartedly. My list to keep is basically Miller, Boeser, Lindholm, Zadorov, and Hughes. Rest can f*** off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad