GDT: WCSF GM05 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Thur. May 16th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | So Tight, Almost Like a Playoff Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Everything surrounding Tocchet in Vancouver has been mostly positive so far. IMO most of the gripes against him up to this point have been somewhat unwarranted as I personally put more of the onus onto the players and their execution and effort (or lack thereof when things are going poorly as they did in game 4).

But game 5's lineup decisions will be crucial. It's time for him to push some buttons and we really need those buttons to be properly wired and functional.

If we flame out from here I still think the roster is the main problem as clearly the forward group does not have the type of depth you need to go to much farther in the playoffs.

This series is still very much winnable but we can't have those handful of passengers Tocc mentioned.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Remembering how many pundits and talking heads wrote us off in 4 or 5 before the series even began, if you told us we'd be heading back to home ice tied 2-2 with an opportunity to push the Oilers to the brink, I think that's a pretty good spot to be in. Just need to have a freaking good 60-minute game.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Remembering how many pundits and talking heads wrote us off in 4 or 5 before the series even began, if you told us we'd be heading back to home ice tied 2-2 with an opportunity to push the Oilers to the brink, I think that's a pretty good spot to be in. Just need to have a freaking good 60-minute game.

Seriously, this is the playoffs. Even teams that win the cup lose games throughout the playoffs. People are acting like we are down 3-1 right now. It's a 2-2 in a series we came in as heavy underdogs. We're also doing this with Demko injured and Petey not playing like himself.

Joe Rogan

Jun 21, 2019
I would go with this lineup. If Mikheyev is still in tomorrow and EP40 is stapled to plugs, I'm not going to bother watching. Cole has been Sbisa level bad and should not be back in this series.

Suter-Miller-Boeser
Pettersson-Lindholm-Hoglander
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
PDG-Aman-Podkolzin

Hughes-Hronek
Zadorov-Myers
Soucy-Juulsen

Silovs

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Nobody in the organization thought the team would be this far into the playoffs and without Demko to boot.
Every game should be considered a bonus.

Even with that these games have created HOPE that they can continue and get past the Oilers.

There is something very wrong with Pettersson, very wrong. There is no way the best most talented forward should devolve into the almost most ineffective player the Canucks ice. Maybe send him out for a total body MRI or something. Could be addicted some drug? Sometimes he looks stoned out there. Too many painkillers might make him dopy. He isn't even a shadow of himself. I don't think they would miss him very much if he was sat.

The next game they will need to play like they did in the first one, take it to them.
And they need to play the entire game like it is the third period and they down by one goal.

Nobody expected them to win a cup THIS year so these games are good. Not blow outs yet but they will need to win 2 out of the next 3. EP HAS TO WAKE UP!!!! one goal, one assist, one high skilled play whatever he won't survive this contract in Vancouver if he just became Eriksson 2.0 only worse.

These playoffs are showing who the team should prioritize keeping. Unless there is something wrong with EP maybe he should be moved. Did Laine have an issue.

Canucks win this one though, Miller gets it done.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Cole must be gassed - he's got to be managed. I'd play Juulsen with Soucy. Mental errors happen when you're tired.

Also, Garland is the play driver on his line and they should put Blueger back between him and Dak. Play him with EP as well.

Hogs-Lindholm-EP should be tried. I'd actually rather see Pod with those two as he's likely a better forechecker.

Bottom line can be Aman between Mik and Hogs/PDG/Laff.

This gives the team 3 good lines.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA

It's a FANTASTIC spot to be in, no doubt. But man, we could have been in an even better spot if this team just showed up a bit more. Alas~

We absolutely need to come out roaring in Game 5, with similar vibes to Game 1 now. LF f***ING GO.

Sidenote:

I am telling y'all, we're just a notch below the heavy hitter cup contenders right now.

These next two off seasons are going to be absolutely huge for our management group to try and tinker with the roster to push us into the upper echelon, but what we have here as a foundation is f***ing impressive in a lot of ways.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Tocchet calling out the teams manhood post game has to resonate in the locker room.

Tocchet has been in those shoes before, time to man up.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
One thing that bugs me - when did the Canucks become so hesitant offensively? It's just a dump and board battles in 90% of the shifts, no crisp puck movement. Playing way too far outside and behind the goal line. It's a lot of wasted effort. I guess this is what is driving Tocchett mad but he's the coach.

Reactions: Indiana

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I would have absolutely taken 2-2 or even 2-3 going into the series. I definitely feel better about things after the two Edmonton games.

Last night seemed.. correctable? All of our top guys were not on it yesterday for 75% of the game (and the 3-2 goal)

We didn’t even test Pickard and they’re obligated to go to him for game 5.

I think a majority of the roster is playing with more support & less pressure, at least relative to Edmonton (except Pettersson/Mikheyev/Hronek).

IMO the Hronek thing doesn’t overly matter in the short term because Hughes is still winning his minutes. Long term, i’m at the point now where I don’t think he’s on the team next year. If you’re Hronek, is your ego small enough to come back and tell your agent to take the 6.5x8 they scoffed at? Even if he is willing… is that offer still even there from VAN’s side?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I would have absolutely taken 2-2 or even 2-3 going into the series. I definitely feel better about things after the two Edmonton games.

Last night seemed.. correctable? All of our top guys were not on it yesterday for 75% of the game (and the 3-2 goal)

We didn’t even test Pickard and they’re obligated to go to him for game 5.

I think a majority of the roster is playing with more support & less pressure, at least relative to Edmonton (except Pettersson/Mikheyev/Hronek).

IMO the Hronek thing doesn’t overly matter in the short term because Hughes is still winning his minutes. Long term, i’m at the point now where I don’t think he’s on the team next year. If you’re Hronek, is your ego small enough to come back and tell your agent to take the 6.5x8 they scoffed at? Even if he is willing… is that offer still even there from VAN’s side?
Agreed on each and every point here. That cant be common, there were many points here

• Love
Reactions: Indiana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad