GDT: WCSF GM05 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Thur. May 16th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | So Tight, Almost Like a Playoff Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If Tocchett wants to get rid of passengers, have to re-do the lines for Game 5. I would go with.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Lindholm - Garland
Hoglander - Blueger - Podkolzin
Suter - Lafferty - Mikheyev

Reactions: Indiana

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Honest question about Juulsen - was he that bad other than running out of position on the 1 goal? A massive blunder, to be sure, but I thought the rest of his game was reasonable. Reasonable enough to have me internally debating whether he or Cole should be in next game.

And I agree, Petey showed some glimpses in the 3rd. But we need a statement game from him, and we just haven't gotten it. 1 goal and 4 points in 10 games is brutal.
I don't think Juulsen was that bad overall, but it's a game of 3600 seconds, not 60 minutes (not my line). He's going to do the same thing again and it will cost them again, because that's how he plays. Cole is a far superior player, but he's got the yips this round.

No one is saying Petey has been good enough. But he isn't going to produce any points playing with Mikheyev and the Scrub of the Day. It's just not going to happen. They won't score if he creates chances, and they certainly won't set him up for any chances. It's not a coincidence he's looked dangerous anytime he enters the OZ with guys that aren't actually his regular linemates.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm not even going to re-post Seravalli's article about Pickard, but man alive, does this guy love him some Oilers.

And they're really leaning into the whole "balls" thing. A+ journalism - I'm sure his writing profs would be proud.

Him saying the coach had "balls" to stop playing the .800 SV% goalie who was sinking their team is just absolutely laughable. It was an overdue, completely justified move, not an agonizing decision.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Honest question about Juulsen - was he that bad other than running out of position on the 1 goal? A massive blunder, to be sure, but I thought the rest of his game was reasonable. Reasonable enough to have me internally debating whether he or Cole should be in next game.

Other than that one mistake he wasn't bad but it's a consistent problem that he makes one or two BIG mistakes like that/game. Same thing happened against Nashville when he got in for a game.

If you're Tocchet, do you roll the dice and try rolling Lekkerimaki out on Petey's wing?

Not a chance.

If Lekkerimaki had ripped it up in Abbotsford maybe but he honestly was quite disappointing and didn't really even stand out in regular-season AHL games.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
One comment on the coverage, especially on Sportsnet: I was completely gobsmacked at how the panel spent every intermission talking about the Oilers and the Oilers alone, heaping them with praise and expanding on all of their story lines.

Like, I'm not looking for a bunch of Canuck fan service and complimentary coverage, but come on at least talk about some of the story lines for the Canucks (PP/PK struggles, Pettersson struggles, Mikeyev being awful, Hronek no points, Boeser's defensive details).

It's like the Canucks are being treated as an inconvenient roadblock on the way to a sure thing Oilers Cup.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
If Tocchett wants to get rid of passengers, have to re-do the lines for Game 5. I would go with.

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Lindholm - Garland
Hoglander - Blueger - Podkolzin
Suter - Lafferty - Mikheyev

Id try Lindholm with Petey and keep the Miller line. Reunite Bleuger with Garland and Joshua

Suter - Miller - Boeser
Hoglander - Lindholm - Pettersson
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
PDG/Lafferty - Aman - Mikheyev

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
One comment on the coverage, especially on Sportsnet: I was completely gobsmacked at how the panel spent every intermission talking about the Oilers and the Oilers alone, heaping them with praise and expanding on all of their story lines.

Like, I'm not looking for a bunch of Canuck fan service and complimentary coverage, but come on at least talk about some of the story lines for the Canucks (PP/PK struggles, Pettersson struggles, Mikeyev being awful, Hronek no points, Boeser's defensive details).

It's like the Canucks are being treated as an inconvenient roadblock on the way to a sure thing Oilers Cup.

It's what happens whenever Bieksa isn't there. If the Canucks are winning the narrative is what are the Oilers doing wrong and how can they fix it rather than what the Canucks are doing right. However, I don't expect any in-depth analysis from Sportsnet anymore.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Id keep the lines the same but maybe double shift BB, JT, DAK, Garl and Lind to sub in on EP's wing.

Rotate through the aforementioned players instead of Mik. If McDrai can play 29 min a game our forwards should be able to increase thier ice team in small spurts.

Suter - JT - Brock
HOG - EP - Rotating wingers
Dak - Lind - Garl

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It's what happens whenever Bieksa isn't there. If the Canucks are winning the narrative is what are the Oilers doing wrong and how can they fix it rather than what the Canucks are doing right. However, I don't expect any in-depth analysis from Sportsnet anymore.

I straight up muted it after a couple of minutes. Without Bieksa there to balance it out, it's just brutal as former McDavid/Draisaitl teammate Luke Gazdic steers all the conversation to the Oilers, and all the others follow suit.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I thought I would feel slightly better about last night when I woke up this morning. Nope, still pissed off.

That said, we still got this. The more mistakes we make, the more the team learns what not to do next time, plus it elicited the most animated Tocchet we've seen since he got here. You have to think whatever he said to the media was watered down from what he told the guys behind closed doors. They won't repeat that same performance at home.

Go Canucks Go!

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I straight up muted it after a couple of minutes. Without Bieksa there to balance it out, it's just brutal as former McDavid/Draisaitl teammate Luke Gazdic steers all the conversation to the Oilers, and all the others follow suit.

The one advantage of pulling Dad duty yesterday was the intermissions were about reading books and tucking the kids in.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Oilers ability to stay healthy despite playing their stars for 90% of the game has been the difference.

Knoblauch's strategy is somehow paying off because they keep producing. It isn't costing them anything (yet) to just get an offensive draw, play that line for 90 seconds, draw a penalty, keep them out there for the full 2 minutes and score.

Now, should they win this series, if they try that against Dallas or Colorado they will get absolutely smashed. Vancouver doesn't have the depth either of those teams have, and at some point they will burn out or get injured.

Problem is, we know they are banged up and vulnerable to being knocked out of the lineup. But if we try to throw big hits, they get special treatment from the officials and going to the box = goal against 1/2 the time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Yup.

And absolutely the Oilers were playing better. But the coverage was what you'd expect for, like, Leafs-Capitals or something.

No discussion on what the Canucks could be doing better. No discussion on Pettersson or the way the lines are built. No discussion on anything. Just OILERS OILERS OILERS as Sportsnet seems to be ramping up for a McBaby Cup coronation.

afrocentric

Apr 29, 2010
Id try Lindholm with Petey and keep the Miller line. Reunite Bleuger with Garland and Joshua

Suter - Miller - Boeser

This is the line combination I would really like to see.

What is becoming increasingly clear is that there are performers on this team when it matters most. Need to try to keep Zadorov, Lindholm and Joshua.

And beating a dead horse, but anything more than 6.25AAV for Hronek would be a back breaker, ideally I think we try and trade him for a good winger. Bring Tanev home.

any suggestions on a replacement?

Reactions: DFAC

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Lafferty is definitely coming out of the lineup. Reading between the lines, it was either Laff or Hog last night, and Tocchet was regretting his decision half way through the game.

I'd also go Juulsen over Cole for GM5. Yes, Juulsen made a mistake that directly lead to a goal. But Cole played very poorly, made numerous mistakes also resulting in the 1st goal (2 failed clears before the penalty, then chasing McDavid across the ice, blowing up the PK structure). Other than the one big mistake by Juulsen, he played very well, especially for his first game of the series. And at least his mistake resulted in a big hit on Ekholm. Cole's mistakes are just bad hockey.

Hoglander should get back in. Love to see Podz in, but just don't think it's going to happen. It should, but he seems to be in the doghouse. Maybe Sasson could bring some speed and offense to Petey's wing? Also probably won't happen.

Allvin had a great 12 months, but not getting a winger for Petey at the deadline is a miss. There's not a good option for Petey's wing. I might try switching Mikheyev and Suter, but hard to gamble with the JTM line. Guess I'd go:

Suter-JTM-BB
Dak-Lindholm-Garland
Podkolzin-EP-Hoglander
PDG/Aman-Blueger-Mikheyev

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Zadorov-Juulsen

If I was told at the beginning of the series we would be where we are today, I'd gladly take it. Odds are in our favour - GM3 wins seem to lead to more series wins than GM4, and we've got 2 of 3 at home. Considering we've shown we can beat the Coilers by only playing 20 minutes, put together a couple 60 minute efforts and I like our chances.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

Aside from Bieksa, the Sportsnet panel are Oilers fans. Especially Ron and Luke. They may as well wear Oilers jerseys instead of suits.

Suter - Miller - Boeser

But do Pettersson and Lindholm have chemistry? they didn't really gel in the regular season. But I do agree that Pettersson needs help.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hopefully the skaters in front of Silovs dont squander his performance..What wasted opportunity last night.

We only have a chance of winning if everyone is buying in..I can clearly see why an exasperated Tocchet isnt happy.

The momentum has swung the other way.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Knoblauch's strategy is somehow paying off because they keep producing. It isn't costing them anything (yet) to just get an offensive draw, play that line for 90 seconds, draw a penalty, keep them out there for the full 2 minutes and score.

If we can't take advantage when 97 and 29 aren't on the ice then we're going to be having a very bad time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad