Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM05 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 3-2 (Soucy, Di Giuseppe, & Miller) | JT MILLER *clap* *clap* *clap*

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I don’t know if this is a hot take or not, but Tyler Myers completely redeemed his entire contract with this playoff run.

Yes. Yes it is.

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: Indiana

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Day after, and still glowing. Such an impressive win top to bottom.

For all the complaining about the refs, the PPs were 5-4, with the difference being an over the glass DOG. Hardly handing the game to the Oilers imo.

The charging call has been beaten to death, but it's always a call when you hit someone with your skates off the ice. It's pretty confusing tbh to claim Petey didn't "jump into" the Oiler when Petey was doing a reverse hit. How do you do a reverse hit without moving into the oncoming guy? Don't get me wrong, if no call was made no one, not even the biggest Oiler Homer, would be calling for a charge. But whatever, Petey clearly jumped into the hit, so while I agree it was an unusual call, it's not the most egregious call or missed call of this series.

Lineup changes were all spot on for the forwards. Really couldn'task for
Ore from any of them, and best game we've had from the 4th line.

Cole cost us another goal, as he's done at least once in every game this series. I'd like to see Juulsen back in for GM6, even with the expected odd man rush against when he gets a bit reckless. Did much better with zone exits and neutral zone play in GM4 than Cole has all series. 12 minutes speaks volumes.

Thought Miller was fighting the puck and looked exhausted much of the game. A beast on defense though, and came through big time with the game on his stick.

Petey not all the way back, but huge strides. So glad that heal flick hit the post and not the back of the net.

Best effort of the playoffs so far. But going to need even more to get that final win. Be so sweet to eliminate these guys in front of their clownshow fans.

• Love
Reactions: Indiana and Kalv

Munber1

Jun 5, 2011
That was a great game! ...although in a one goal game either team could have won. Also it looks like Petterson is feeling a bit better...could be just some emotions he is dealing with. Now the Oilers probably have the advantage in the next game because all the games have been close and the Oilers won't have to push themselves,...their emotions will do the pushing for them...where the Canucks will have to fight the emotions that are telling them they don't have to worry very much because if they lose they will still have another game to play.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Can’t argue with the result, but people have been calling for something resembling that lineup since basically before the playoffs started. Not sure what took Tocchet and Co. that long, but it does look good. I think Pettersson may be better on the wing.

Reactions: Hodgy and Indiana

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
What on God's green earth was that charging penalty? Charging? For a reverse hit?? It sucks to have to be worried that the fix is in, but just what the f**k man.

Give credit to Petey for doing the little things to help facilitate the GWG. Pressured Hyman into giving away an easy loose puck. Batted down Myers' flip into the zone. Made an all-world redirect with his skate which led to a rebound for Miller. I've been wanting to see him with Lindholm again for a while now and I'm glad he looked better out there.

Happy for PDG too. Such a soldier for us.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
What on God's green earth was that charging penalty? Charging? For a reverse hit?? It sucks to have to be worried that the fix is in, but just what the f**k man.

Give credit to Petey for doing the little things to help facilitate the GWG. Pressured Hyman into giving away an easy loose puck. Batted down Myers' flip into the zone. Made an all-world redirect with his skate which led to a rebound for Miller. I've been wanting to see him with Lindholm again for a while now and I'm glad he looked better out there.

Happy for PDG too. Such a soldier for us.
Niklas Kronwall had that move patented. Elias had no permission to use it so hence, the penalty.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Can’t argue with the result, but people have been calling for something resembling that lineup since basically before the playoffs started. Not sure what took Tocchet and Co. that long, but it does look good. I think Pettersson may be better on the wing.

Pettersson looked better in that game, but he's not better overall on the wing imo. That is the reason Tocchet has resisted that change for this long. But now, there's no other option to get him going.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Pettersson looked better in that game, but he's not better overall on the wing imo. That is the reason Tocchet has resisted that change for this long. But now, there's no other option to get him going.
Yeah, our center depth also took a bit of a hit with that move, and I definitely have some concerns about how Aman holds up when Edmonton gets to dictate the matchup at home. He played well, but is also very exposable.

Happy about Blueger being used a bit more optimally, though.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I can understand the centre thing, but when the Canucks reached their zenith this season over the first 30-35 games, the line-up looked a lot closer to this than what we'd been rolling the last 40-ish games into the playoffs.

Reactions: quat

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I can understand the centre thing, but when the Canucks reached their zenith this season over the first 30-35 games, the line-up looked a lot closer to this than what we'd been rolling the last 40-ish games into the playoffs.

Hmmm for the first 35 games they didn't have Lindholm and Pettersson was playing C...?

Ironically, I think Pettersson was at his best in January, again, when Lindholm wasn't here.

This will be a part of the calculus for management when evaluating a Lindholm contract, I think....He's been excellent, but what will be the indirect cost to Pettersson's game if they re-sign him? It's something I've been thinking about lately.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Hmmm for the first 35 games they didn't have Lindholm and Pettersson was playing C...?

Ironically, I think Pettersson was at his best in January, again, when Lindholm wasn't here.

This will be a part of the calculus for management when evaluating a Lindholm contract, I think....He's been excellent, but what will be the indirect cost to Pettersson's game if they re-sign him? It's something I've been thinking about lately.

Yes, but Mikheyev was playing a lot better over that first chunk of the season (10G / 10A in 32 GP) and say what you want about Kuzmenko, but Pettersson has played well with him. Mikheyev has subsequently fallen off a cliff and I still don't think Hoglander is a true top-six winger. However you want to configure it, Pettersson needs to play with better players, and at this point ... Lindholm is a better top-six center than Pettersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad