Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM05 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 3-2 (Soucy, Di Giuseppe, & Miller) | JT MILLER *clap* *clap* *clap*

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
It would be a good time to break the current win one lose one streak next game.

The first 8 game win lose streak ended with a 4 game winning streak.
The second 5 game lose win streak ended with a 5 game winning streak.
The third 6 game win lose streak ended with a a 2 game winning streak.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I was gonna say they better not but honestly Sutherland can't be worse than that BS last night
Sutherland says, "Hold my beer!"

1715952498907.jpeg

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Im MMA a tactic many fighters use is to make the opponent carry their weight which is exhausting.

I noticed every time JT was with Connor he would:

- Get in front of 97 causing 97 to slow down and jump around him.
- Get tangled up with 97 causing him to use energy to distance himself.
-Lean on 97 against the walls.
- Tie up 97 in scrums and make him engage with him
- Hit him every time he has the puck.

All the micro interactions over a game add cause 97 to use a lot of extra energy and I think that started to wear him down over the game. Add in the over use during the series and its a slow but decent way to take his energy.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
No, it’s not a charge. The rule specifically states that a charge must be as a result of distance travelled.

Some tweets by Tim Peel were posted on the main boards and an NHL referee who is normally an apologist for referees is saying this was a terrible call he couldn’t explain.

The distance travelled paragraph is a definition of the term "charging" as used in the initial description of a charging penalty.

The actual key point is that the charging penalty is described as someone who skates, jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner. "Or," being the key word there. They then go on to clarify what "charge" means in that context.

Again, it's a horrible call because we all know what a charging penalty is supposed to look like, but the rule itself - as written - is an absolutely vague pile of shit that technically covers what happened on that play. My guess would be that they expanded the wording at some point to include leaving your feet, and did a really bad job of it but nobody cared because everyone knows what charging is. This is a huge pet peeve of mine going back forever.

It's ludicrous that the rule is called "charging" and to get a charging penalty you can do these things, which include but are not limited to charging. Who the f*** wrote this? It's like if the penalty called "high sticking" was actually for high sticking or kicking.
I don’t know. As a lawyer, this rule is terribly drafted:

1715956502737.png

The first paragraph is clearly a description of charging. But where the definition is poor is the second paragraph where it defines a “charge” to mean (rather than include) the actions of a player, as a result of distance travelled…..

In order to give both the first and second paragraph meaning the best interpretation, in my opinion, is to read the definition of “charging” into the first paragraph. If the rule makers intended the first paragraph to be a standalone then they would have drafted it so that it says “charging” includes…

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Indiana

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Tim Peel couldn't explain it because

A) He really thinks it was a bad call.
B) He knows something and if he talked about it, Gary Bettman would send someone to visit him.

Reactions: Indiana

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Kinda boggles my mind that despite McDavid more or less being neutered the Oilers faithful are still in heavy denial on the Canucks taking it to them.

Yup, all I've read there is that the Oilers "let us win". Their mindset is always that they are the better team and if they don't win, they allowed us to win or "beat themselves". We're always lucky, or another player let the team down (Nurse, Ceci, Skinner, etc).

Tonight was the only game where I saw them say we were the better team.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Well got home late and fell asleep during the third. Woke up to a phone call. Saw the highlights and thought I was dreaming. Went back to sleep and realized this morning it was real. I was so happy this morning.

Good morning, everyone. Still freaking buzzing after last night.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!
I didn’t sleep at all last night lol. So much adrenaline

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Best part about Oilers boards right now is the call to buy out Nurse. It's essentially a buyout proof contract. You get 2 years of very good cap savings followed by 4 years of about the same or HIGHER cap hit (1 yr 8.7 3 yrs 9.8) then another 6 years of $1.5 mil cap hit. You can't buy that out. They are going to have retain the max to move him.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I didn’t sleep at all last night lol. So much adrenaline

I woke up at 3AM randomly and was practically vibrating - took over an hour to fall back to sleep. :laugh:

-

Still so, so impressed with this team and the win last night, especially in the face of absolutely screwjob level officiating. The PK saddled up and went 5 for 5, Silovs held the door, we got offensive contributions from sources other than our top guys (seriously, Soucy coming back from suspension and scoring, PDG using that New Dad strength to get on the scoresheet) and then who else but Miller getting the GWG with Lindholm and PETEY doing the spadework to set it up.

All while out chancing, out shooting, and outperforming the Oilers soundly on home ice.

Just do it one more time, boys. What a game!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Best part about Oilers boards right now is the call to buy out Nurse. It's essentially a buyout proof contract. You get 2 years of very good cap savings followed by 4 years of about the same or HIGHER cap hit (1 yr 8.7 3 yrs 9.8) then another 6 years of $1.5 mil cap hit. You can't buy that out. They are going to have retain the max to move him.

Their window is the next 2 years. McDavid, Draisaitl, and Hyman are in their prime and Ekholm isn't getting any younger. They are a team that needs another scoring line.

You absolutely buyout Nurse and go nuts in UFA.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Yup, all I've read there is that the Oilers "let us win". Their mindset is always that they are the better team and if they don't win, they allowed us to win or "beat themselves". We're always lucky, or another player let the team down (Nurse, Ceci, Skinner, etc).

Tonight was the only game where I saw them say we were the better team.
I've seen Oilers fans stating unironically that they can't believe they are losing to the worst team in the playoffs. Well, if you are indeed losing to the "worst team in the playoffs" I have some bad news for you...

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I refuse to let this go

stationary is not distance travelled

View attachment 872109

To be fair, you didn't circle the "jumps into" part of the definition. No question Petey had both skates in the air. Might be able to argue that he "jumped" rather than "jumped into" but think that's semantics when he lays out a guy with both feet off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad