Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM05 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 3-2 (Soucy, Di Giuseppe, & Miller) | JT MILLER *clap* *clap* *clap*

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Eh. Canucks play differently when they have a Vezina caliber goalie backing them up. If he's healthy Demko is in imo.
I want the Canucks to keep playing the way they did tonight. It is hardly a given that a rusty Demko would be an upgrade on Silovs if he continues to play the way he has been: I would keep playing Silovs at least until he has a bad game.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I want the Canucks to keep playing the way they did tonight. It is hardly a given that a rusty Demko would be an upgrade on Silovs if he continues to play the way he has been: I would keep playing Silovs at least until he has a bad game.

I think many have this view which is fair. My opinion is that a) he won't be that rusty and b) the Canucks play very differently when they have confidence in their goalie. Which is somewhat based on coaching, but as great as this Silovs story is the team is very much protecting a very, raw and inexperienced goalie to grind out wins.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Eh. Canucks play differently when they have a Vezina caliber goalie backing them up. If he's healthy Demko is in imo.
Canucks lost and the next day Demko made “huge improvements”. Not sure how much I buy he is ready this round. If it goes to game 7 they may very well throw him in there and not sure if that’s a good idea or not

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The key point is "distance travelled", which is written in the rule and hilariously cut out of the screenshot by morons like Greg Wyshynski.

It's not vague in any way. It's the way that I was taught growing up, it's the way that I've seen it called in the NHL, and the befuddlement of even the most pro-Oilers panel on sportsnet should tell you that everybody rightfully understands that the rule is meant to prevent guys from taking 5 strides and jumping into a hit because it's dangerous.

The distance travelled paragraph is a definition of the term "charging" as used in the initial description of a charging penalty.

The actual key point is that the charging penalty is described as someone who skates, jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner. "Or," being the key word there. They then go on to clarify what "charge" means in that context.

Again, it's a horrible call because we all know what a charging penalty is supposed to look like, but the rule itself - as written - is an absolutely vague pile of shit that technically covers what happened on that play. My guess would be that they expanded the wording at some point to include leaving your feet, and did a really bad job of it but nobody cared because everyone knows what charging is. This is a huge pet peeve of mine going back forever.

It's ludicrous that the rule is called "charging" and to get a charging penalty you can do these things, which include but are not limited to charging. Who the f*** wrote this? It's like if the penalty called "high sticking" was actually for high sticking or kicking.

Reactions: B-rock and God

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Just noticed that on PDG's goal, Draisatl stopped playing for a solid 2-3 seconds to bitch to the refs about the play being offside when Blueger dumped it in - the linesman was in fact correct, because Draisatl was the one who poked the puck into the zone so when Blueger played the puck it was us regaining possession from them. Then PDG+Aman follow up by forcing a turnover to create the goal.

Golden, just like the town between Banff and Revelstoke!

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Canucks lost and the next day Demko made “huge improvements”. Not sure how much I buy he is ready this round. If it goes to game 7 they may very well throw him in there and not sure if that’s a good idea or not

He may not be ready and may not even play at all even if the Canucks make the WCF. I think if he's good enough to play he will. Silovs has played very well for a sheltered third string goalie in which the team plays to protect him however the Canucks are more successful when they are aggressive when they know they can be imo.

Reactions: PG Canuck

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Just noticed that on PDG's goal, Draisatl stopped playing for a solid 2-3 seconds to bitch to the refs about the play being offside when Blueger dumped it in - the linesman was in fact correct, because Draisatl was the one who poked the puck into the zone so when Blueger played the puck it was us regaining possession from them. Then PDG+Aman follow up by forcing a turnover to create the goal.

I thought this as well, but I think he was lobbying for a too many men call.

Reactions: ellja3 and Vector

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He may not be ready and may not even play at all even if the Canucks make the WCF. I think if he's good enough to play he will. Silovs has played very well for a sheltered third string goalie in which the team plays to protect him however the Canucks are more successful when they are aggressive when they know they can be imo.
I agree, I just don’t want them to jeopardize Demko for next year. He’s a bit fragile right now and one wrong movement puts him back in the shelf. I just hope he’s not rushing back.

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C

I actually hate that town. Got stuck in a 4 hour roadblock for some construction on a road trip. I'll be sure to avoid that area from here out! :laugh:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
On the last face off with 3.2 seconds left, Draisaitl didn't even try, he let Miller shoot down the ice. The odds of the Oilers scoring were miniscule, but you gotta try and win the face off and get a shot on net.

Reactions: ellja3 and Red

fergo

Are we stopped?
Dec 19, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Much better game by the Canucks! Starting out a touch passive, most notable when Pettersson held on to the puck for nearly three seconds at one point, only to have his shot blocked. Eventually, they got more assertive as the game got going, to a point that I think I only heard McJesus' name two or three times in the third period. The Canucks looked a little more like they did for a good chunk of the first round, where they were fairly aggressive on the forecheck, and tried to make mistakes happen, instead of sitting back and waiting for them to happen as with previous games against Edmonton. The Oilers were running around a lot more, and lordy, I hope the Canucks are able to keep this play up through the next game in Edmonton.

Now, about that Pettersson charging call. How was that not only charging, but a penalty in the first place? It says something when not only the commentators, but both teams were trying to figure out what call was being made. What even was that? It's obviously not charging, since Petey was standing still. It's not boarding, since the Oiler player wasn't hit into the boards. It's not interference, since Pettersson had the puck when he threw the hit. I guess maybe roughing, though if you're going to call that roughing, you're going to be calling that penalty several times every game. What's left? Good lord, if there's a moment where one could correctly argue a penalty was called for simply wearing a Vancouver Canucks uniform, that was it.

One last thing. I know that Arturs Silovs has had a hell of a playoffs so far, and hope it continues until Demko returns, and then into future seasons, but I think one could argue that the best goaltender in this series, bar none (pun partly intended)...it's the posts/crossbars. Seriously, I think at minimum a dozen shots have gone off them for both teams in these five games. I don't know if it's just me, but it feels oddly high.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Put Garland with Lindholm and Pettersson.

Hoglander can go with Joshua and Blueger.

Joshua has not played well enough to warrant keeping that line together.

Garland will add even more of a scoring threat to the Elias line.

I wouldn't be opposed to it but that really weakens the bottom-6.

And I don't know if Petey works with Garland if Petey is the other winger.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
So many good performances…Miller, Lindholm, Boeser, Myers, Hughes and Soucy just bring it every game and got us to this point.
Nice redemption games from Hronek, Petterson, Hoglander and PDG. If all four of them can build on this, we just might have the depth to keep this going awhile longer.
Shoutout also to Silovs, guy just instills calmness and confidence back there and at this point it’s pretty much takes an unstoppable shot to beat him.
I liked having Podkolzin in there, at least he brings some compete and physicality to the lineup unlike Mikeyev who’s been a complete non-factor for months now. If you’re not scoring, at least be hard to play against and Mik is anything but that. He’s Loui Eriksson 2.0 at this point.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Underrated play by the linesman there.

On the replay it looked like it would have been pretty tough for him to see what exactly happened and he was right on the money when he was pointing at Draisaitl indicating that Drai brought it back in.

If the linesman gets confused there and blows it down, which could have easily happened, we don't get that goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad