Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM05 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 3-2 (Soucy, Di Giuseppe, & Miller) | JT MILLER *clap* *clap* *clap*

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Regarding the EP40 penalty, looks like it was called right. Maybe was mentioned here earlier but i can't keep up with the thread.

I don't like it though, at least this time around, because it was glorious

It was technically correct, but it was a bizarre call. My thought at the time was that the ref who called it was directly in line with Pettersson way down ice, and maybe from his perspective it looked like Pettersson was in motion and jumped into the hit rather than basically standing still.

Unrelated, but I was really glad to see PDG have a big game. New kid aside, it was still nice to see him rewarded as he's had a tough season after a really solid start. Tonight he looked a lot more like the player who started the season with Miller and Boeser.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
'What a great interview from Tocchett. What a leader sounds like. How can you not love the guy.
Before he was hired I thought he'd be a system guy that smother creativity. Did not expect how much of a player's coach he's turned out to be while getting the players to buy in on the system.

Not easy to do.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
It was technically correct, but it was a bizarre call. My thought at the time was that the ref who called it was directly in line with Pettersson way down ice, and maybe from his perspective it looked like Pettersson was in motion and jumped into the hit rather than basically standing still.
It's not technically correct. The charging call is intended to prevent players from taking multiple strides (distance travelled) into hits. It's just a horrifically bad call that, yeah, maybe the ref thought Petey skated into it, but it's still bad.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
As a bandwagonner, I gotta say your board is pretty cool. Certainly I've visites some much worse ones :laugh:

Let's finish the Oilers next game. Silovs seems to have extra composure in road games.

giphy.gif

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Shots 35-23 in favour of the Canucks
Hits 42-20 in favour of the Canucks
Face-offs 36-26 in favour of the Canucks
Powerplays 5-4 in favour of the Oilers

Dominate win.

Pettersson looked much better, great skate deflection to set up the game winner for Miller. The Garland line looked a tad off with Blueger instead of Lindholm, Tocc could put Lindholm back with Garland & Joshua & Blueger between Petersson & Hoglander, Petey line with Blueger would still be 10 times better without Mikheyev. Di Giuseppe seemed like he got PEDs injected into his veins lol he was flying out there, a goal and +2 in the game. Myers another strong game. The team looked so much better without Mikheyev. Lots of shots tonight but they need to bury more of their chances, the powerplay also needs to be a lot better. Great game overall, strong team play by everyone.

Being able to roll 4 lines that all contribute was a huge part of our early season success. Dropping Mik and PDG's inspired play really helped with a 4 line attack.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It's not technically correct. The charging call is intended to prevent players from taking multiple strides (distance travelled) into hits. It's just a horrifically bad call that, yeah, maybe the ref thought Petey skated into it, but it's still bad.

I mean, technically it's a charge if you leave your feet. It's never called that way because it's not really how it's intended to be called, and also because it's a weird as hell situation for a guy standing still to jump in the air for a reverse hit, but technically the call was correct.

The only way I could understand them calling it is if the perspective made it look like Pettersson was in motion and left his feet to try to kill dude. Just a bizarre call.

Reactions: alternate

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
As a bandwagonner, I gotta say your board is pretty cool. Certainly I've visites some much worse ones :laugh:

Let's finish the Oilers next game. Silovs seems to have extra composure in road games.

I don't know what fan you are, and frankly I don't give a shit. If you want a piece of this, come in, sit down, have a cold one on the house.
7a105ad0c35b09357e29699da2ff4618a45c1a92.gifv

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I mean, technically it's a charge if you leave your feet. It's never called that way because it's not really how it's intended to be called, and also because it's a weird as hell situation for a guy standing still to jump in the air for a reverse hit, but technically the call was correct.

The only way I could understand them calling it is if the perspective made it look like Pettersson was in motion and left his feet to try to kill dude. Just a bizarre call.
No, it's not technically a charge. I've seen guys jump to avoid players on the ice and then make contact with opposing players. I've seen the reverse hit with the player jumping. Jumping and making contact, hit or no hit, is not automatically a charge.

It really seemed like the far ref thought that Pettersson was in motion, but it wasn't the correct call.

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
Monumental win tonight. Absolutely no passengers. Oilers top guys did not have their A games but ours really didn't either, they just dug in and decided they wanted it more. Amazing to watch.

Petey was night and day compared to the last however many weeks (months?) but still a bit out of sync and hesitant at times. Huge improvement from him and still a lot more upside if he can fully regain his confidence.

Hughes also doesn't look nearly as confident as we've seen him for most of this year. The effort is clearly there and he's contributing every time he's on the ice, but he's still a ways off from peak form.

Miller just looked like he was fighting the puck all night but he has so many elements to his game and can accomplish a lot through sheer effort and willpower.

Scary how good this team could be with even 2 of those 3 guys on top of their game, nevermind a healthy Demko.

Silovs was great again. I love watching him and he honestly has some things that remind me of prime Luongo, but he's still a bit raw and absolutely not in the same tier as Demko.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Petey was night and day compared to the last however many weeks (months?) but still a bit out of sync and hesitant at times. Huge improvement from him and still a lot more upside if he can fully regain his confidence.

normal petey could have played exactly the same game and had two goals just from shooting immediately instead of holding, pausing, looking for the pass, then shooting

my other complaint is he still wasn’t moving his feet at all on the PP

but for the first time in for-freakin’-ever, he was sealing the boards on the breakout and picking off outlet passes. this is what happens when he can trust his linemates to create pressure and support him after he causes a turnover.

Reactions: B-rock

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
I’m surprised by the honest passion being brought out over at oil boards. Overplaying how good the nucks were tonight. It was closer than they thought.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad