GDT: WCSF GM02 | Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Fri. May 10th | 7pm PST | SNP/CBC | Don’t Change That Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Former NHL ref Dave Jackson was actually responding (dismissively, but politely) to Canuck fans on Twitter expressing doubts about Sutherland. I thought it was kind of cool to see him engaging, even though predictably he's convinced everyone maintains the utmost integrity:

NHL exec: "I think we should bring back Mick McGeough. Kids will want to see the original controversial referee."

Gary: "I keep telling you, he's 68 years old, and he's dead."

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Damn, that's a lot of extra bodies.

Interesting bits :

1) Woo is injured so as expected he's not on the list.

2) Virtually every healthy player on an NHL contract has been recalled ... except Akito Hirose, so some writing on the wall there probably.

3) Also no Sheldon Dries, which is weird because in a big injury crunch you'd think his experience would make him a contender to draw in.

4) Klimovich being there is ... odd.

5) Filip Johansson to the WCs?
I thought Dries would be the most obvious one, too. Klimovich I could see as a flight risk and they’re giving him a little bit of a carrot. Sucks to see Hirose not take a step.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought Dries would be the most obvious one, too. Klimovich I could see as a flight risk and they’re giving him a little bit of a carrot. Sucks to see Hirose not take a step.

Hasn't it already been announced that Klimovich is going back to Europe next year?

He hasn't played a game in like 3 months.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I somehow missed that Mick McGeough had passed - so this is how I found out. Yikes.
Yep...Mick McGeough was from an era where NHL referees were almost as flamboyant as the players. It's a tough job now, but it obviously was a lot tougher back then without all the backup technology they have at their disposal today.

Of course you're really getting on in years if you can remember a famous cartoon character, Mr. Magoo, who was completely blind and sowed chaos all around him. Would hardly be 'politically correct' now, but it was hilarious at the time.

So for an NHL referee to have a similar sounding last name as Mr. Magoo, was too good for hockey patrons to pass up when they started serenading him from the stands.. But I'm sure Mick took it all in stride.

Reactions: I am toxic

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Hasn't it already been announced that Klimovich is going back to Europe next year?

He hasn't played a game in like 3 months.

Not announced, no. Only thing we have to go on is the rumour that he's going to sign with a KHL team. Nothing has come of that, though.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

Full list for people who don't want to go to twitter to see it:
F Arshdeep Bains
F Linus Karlsson
F Danila Klimovich
F Jonathan Lekkerimäki
F Vasily Podkolzin
F Aatu Räty
F Max Sasson
D Nick Cicek
D Matt Irwin
D Cole McWard
D Elias Pettersson
D Christian Wolanin
G Zach Sawchenko

The calvary has arrived.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
NHL exec: "I think we should bring back Mick McGeough. Kids will want to see the original controversial referee."

Gary: "I keep telling you, he's 68 years old, and he's dead."

major-league-cross-him-off.gif

Reactions: Regal

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Drai will dress, no question about that, it's playoffs.

The question is how effective he will be. One thing he is deadly at is scoring on bad angle shots. If his injur . . . excuse me, if his cramps hamper that, that's huge.

And on another note, not sure why anyone would defend the joke that is NHL reffing, where revlons* are predicted in advance, and game management has already been established as fact.

Is anyone surprised Sutherland is reffing tonight?

*yeah, it's the term you effin millenials. if you don't remember Jaclyn Smith then tough luck, your loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad