Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM02 | Canucks lose to Oilers in OT | 3-4 (Pettersson, Boeser, & Zadorov) | Less than Stellar Effort

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I'm pretty certain they put Drai with McDavid specifically to make it so if the Canucks targetted him physically they would get out of position and scored on. Was really tough to lay the body on him with the way they were playing.
Miller's got mcdavid in 5 on 5 situations, it's up to boeser or suter to help out. There was a few scrums were they didn't even touch him, let alone a few body shots or cross checks to his hurt back.

These things add up. But they didn't do anything tonight.

Reactions: aquaweenie

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don't agree.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are some kind of historical powerhouse, but they are well coached, and play a very effective o-zone game, it was f***ing awesome to watch, except our team was on the receiving end tonight lol.

We can beat them, but we got rattled tonight and lost composure. Our breakouts were all over the place, and it looked like our nerves got the best of us at times, then they pounced on us that's the mark of a good team imo.

You missed the most important part. There is no way you can play a forward around 30 minutes a game and win the Cup. You'll get stomped by the Conference finals. Their depth is also largely bad, the goalie is shaky as Hell, and if you had the horses you could wear down the McDavid line over a 7 game series and force them to find some depth scoring.

Reactions: aquaweenie

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
The Pettersson line isn't working.

There's no point in that line existing.

They get to play against the garbage lines of the Oilers and they do not control or dominate the play at all.

Then the line that actually can score, the Miller line, gets stuck against the McDrai line and doesn't even get to touch the puck most shifts.

Just go with:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

So at least you're fighting fire with fire, and both lines can theoretically line up with the McDrai line.
I’d rather see Lindholm put with Petey and Blueger back with Joshua and Garland.

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
How anyone can defend Kelly Sutherland's incompetence is beyond me. We played poorly and deserved to lose but the blatant missed calls were atrocious.
Yea the sloooooofoot by Kane and the high stick by McDavid are such automatic calls it’s hard to understand what happened there.

Reactions: Zippgunn

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Pettersson is getting better but he needs to be so much more than what he's been showing. Miller is a beast
Pettersson's linemates are beyond ass this playoffs, his only hope of making that line get a goal is if he goes full McDavid on a breakaway.
Hoglander takes a spear to the balls, and Hughes takes a stick to the face. Zero penalties.

McDavid goes down like Woody from Toy Story on a muffin check - penalty.

Explain that.
The worst part of the Hughes high stick is that McDavid lined him up for it. Looks over, sees Hughes coming, then brings his stick up and clearly deliberately sticks him in the face.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
You missed the most important part. There is no way you can play a forward around 30 minutes a game and win the Cup. You'll get stomped by the Conference finals.

I don’t think the oilers are getting out of the conference finals, but that doesn’t really matter to us now

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I hate to be that guy but you know damn well if McDavid received Hughes high stick, there would be a automatic double minor without review. Shame that the future 24 Norris defenseman doesn't get the same treatment as the games best forward.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
You missed the most important part. There is no way you can play a forward around 30 minutes a game and win the Cup. You'll get stomped by the Conference finals.

I mean, no, probably not.

But we aren't in the Conference finals yet, and neither is Edmonton.

They showed a level of desperation that got them back in the series by relying on McDavid so much and maybe it will cost them.

I sure hope we can make it cost them.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The big fail tonight was the complete inability to hold the puck in. Edmonton's blueliners were incredible at knocking pucks down and keeping plays alive, meanwhile our defenders bobbled just about every pass.

The sheer amount of turnovers is concerning to say the least. Hronek has been brutal with that. I don't know what's going on but the puck just bounces by him so much

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I don’t think the oilers are getting out of the conference finals, but that doesn’t really matter to us now

Frankly, I don't think you can play a couple forwards 30 minutes regularly over a series and win it, but we'll see.

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
I don't agree.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are some kind of historical powerhouse, but they are well coached, and play a very effective o-zone game, it was f***ing awesome to watch, except our team was on the receiving end tonight lol.

We can beat them, but we got rattled tonight and lost composure. Our breakouts were all over the place, and it looked like our nerves got the best of us at times, then they pounced on us that's the mark of a good team imo.
What the f*** are you talking about my dude they had to play their top 2 guys 30 minutes and their defence and goaltending blows

Reactions: Zanon

Ninebreaker

Mar 4, 2014
Team ALWAYS over passes backward in it's own zone to re-set. The number of bobbled pucks by Dmen right around their net is infuriating. Just break out forward, have some spontaneous plays to counter attack.

Offensively they give up possession way too easy. The only time someone will enter the zone with full control is to facilitate a line change. All cycles just start off of dump and chase, it's exhausting.

Team doesn't put the screws to opposing goalies. Even after Tocchet says they need more shots, they follow up with a 14 shot performance in Nashville..
Absolutely. And they have players that can skate the puck up. They need to get it to the ozone and play there. That's where they excell.

Reactions: TruKnyte

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Miller's got mcdavid in 5 on 5 situations, it's up to boeser or suter to help out. There was a few scrums were they didn't even touch him, let alone a few body shots or cross checks to his hurt back.

These things add up. But they didn't do anything tonight.

Yeah the issue is those guys just don't have it in them to be particularly physical. Maybe Soucy/Myers could, but again, the positioning thing. I fully agree with you in the scrums and whatnot, no argument from me there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad