Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM02 | Canucks lose to Oilers in OT | 3-4 (Pettersson, Boeser, & Zadorov) | Less than Stellar Effort

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
It was ridiculous how they avoided any contact with him. I was concentrating on drai all game and they would actually back away when he had the puck.

I'm pretty certain they put Drai with McDavid specifically to make it so if the Canucks targetted him physically they would get out of position and scored on. Was really tough to lay the body on him with the way they were playing.

Reactions: aquaweenie

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Canucks look tired in the 3rd - was completely outplayed. Not sure what happened as they were playing a good second. Fatigue?

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
It would have been a travesty if the Canucks had actually won this game. Front the middle of the second period on, the Canucks just died on the vine. It looked at times like it was too much of a physical effort to even more their feet.

So it's over to Tocchet now. He's absolutely refused to make a single lineup change so in these playoffs, and the wear and tear is grinding down some of the smaller forwards. Bring in Podkolzin, Aman, or both.

And as the playoffs grind on, it seems to me that Cole is mentally and physically spent. I know the only guy they can turn to is Juulsen, which doesn't inspire much confidence, but Cole needs a rest.

If they play this 'rope-a-dope' style in Edmonton, it'll be a massacre.
Would have been a travesty? Wtf

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Same with the Lindholm line.
I think they were fine, just didnt get the same bounces. The bottom 6 need to step up at some point this playoffs as well. Then We have Hughes and sometimes Zadorov and Soucy doing things right and every other D a non factor to a hindrance

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
we shouldn't win this series with our back up back up goalie, so a loss doesn't really bother me

It bothers me because its winnable, they aren't that good. They have literally five guys they can reliably play even close to 20 minutes on the roster, and those guys played like literally half the game tonight. You shouldn't be able to shorten the bench that much in the playoffs. A team like the Stars or Rangers will eat them alive.

I'm fairly convinced if we had Demko we'd knock them out in 5-6 games.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The three missed calls at the end of the third and the blown missed double minor on McDavid were your typical Kelly Sutherland fingerprints on this one. Different game with a competent official.

But we can’t go into a shell and expect to hold the door against McDavid and Draisaitl.

How anyone can defend Kelly Sutherland's incompetence is beyond me. We played poorly and deserved to lose but the blatant missed calls were atrocious.

Reactions: racerjoe

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Is Cole still playing for Pittsburgh or the Canucks? I realize he has the most cup experience but for the love of God.

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Canucks look tired in the 3rd - was completely outplayed. Not sure what happened as they were playing a good second. Fatigue?

Probably partly that and partly the system. They tried to go into their defensive lock down. More and it backfired badly . Can’t generate offense when you don’t have the puck. Not going to win any Cups playing scared like that

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
He really could.
Not sure about that. At least Juuls would have thrown a couple crushing hits and it’s pretty hard to directly cause 4 goals. Not just like be outclassed but literally cause the 4 goals to happen. That’s hard.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
They have to do a better job on the pk. Just lay on the ice and block the passing lane on the cross crease play they make.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Agreed. Such is life.

The Oilers are a really f***ing awesome team.

They are the favourites for a reason. That's not to say I don't think we can hang with them or even grind out a series win, I do think we can.

But tonight the Oilers played at a level above us and it showed.
The Oilers have 2-3 great players…they are pedestrian otherwise. Too bad someone on the Canucks couldn’t step up with this one on the line.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
They literally have 5 good players on the entire roster, and the rest is average to trash. Skinner looked like he was scared of the puck all night.

I don't agree.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are some kind of historical powerhouse, but they are well coached, and play a very effective o-zone game, it was f***ing awesome to watch, except our team was on the receiving end tonight lol.

We can beat them, but we got rattled tonight and lost composure. Our breakouts were all over the place, and it looked like our nerves got the best of us at times, then they pounced on us that's the mark of a good team imo.

Reactions: sting101

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Coaches deserve credit for the attitude change of the team... however..

The roster is and was stacked, they are succeeding a lot in spite of poor x's and o's coaching.

The special teams are trash, PK is passive and can never stop zone entries. PP should be top 5 in the league every year, but it's just a mess that take a full minute before it's first shot.

Team ALWAYS over passes backward in it's own zone to re-set. The number of bobbled pucks by Dmen right around their net is infuriating. Just break out forward, have some spontaneous plays to counter attack.

Offensively they give up possession way too easy. The only time someone will enter the zone with full control is to facilitate a line change. All cycles just start off of dump and chase, it's exhausting.

Team doesn't put the screws to opposing goalies. Even after Tocchet says they need more shots, they follow up with a 14 shot performance in Nashville..

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The Pettersson line isn't working.

There's no point in that line existing.

They get to play against the garbage lines of the Oilers and they do not control or dominate the play at all.

Then the line that actually can score, the Miller line, gets stuck against the McDrai line and doesn't even get to touch the puck most shifts.

Just go with:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland

So at least you're fighting fire with fire, and both lines can theoretically line up with the McDrai line.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad