Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM 6 | Oilers def. Canucks 5-1 (Hoglander) | Anyone…anyone…Canucks?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hockey is an interesting game with interesting swings of momentum. Canucks go from playing an incredible team game top to bottom in Game 5 to laying an absolute egg two nights later.

Flush this game aside. This, and all the others, now mean nothing. There’s just one battle to go, and we simply must be the better team for the full 60 to get through it.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Silovs turned back into a pumpkin, Oilers discovered we wilt under hard 2 man forecheck.

Tocchet failed to adjust to their adjustment, and for the second series straight didn't drop more forwards to relieve the forecheck pressure on his D. He didn't pull Silovs when he should have. They obviously haven't worked on the PP. A lot of this is on him. I get that they're on house money and he's still learning what the playoffs is about like the team is but come on. This is coaching 101.
The book they got on Silovs was to play him hard in transition. I think Silovs is pretty good at tracking and playing solid in his crease, but he really over commits hard and loses the inside when passing plays are made in tight. Oilers were desperate to get into that spot where RNH scored. If you just get up in tight he'll open five hole and you can slide it in under him without too much trouble. With the Canucks D playing flat-footed, that was how they opened up the game and won.

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
Last thought because I don’t care to dissect this game much, but I don’t really agree with the line of thinking that we should just be happy about winning the division and pushing Edmonton to 7 games. Theres no guarantee we’re better next year or even make the playoffs. So much can change from year to year. These chances don’t come often (see our track record since 2011) so it feels terrible to squander these opportunities.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Among the worst beat downs all year and it happened in a playoff game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad