GDT: WCSF | GM 3 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Sunday, May 12th | 6:30PM PST | SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
That was a very winnable game. We just let up and were far too passive in the third. The McDavid beakaway goal rattled them but we could have won that with any sort of pressure.

I do still get nervous when the top line for the Oilers spends an extended amount of time in our zone, but they've done a good job of limiting chances. Overall I've come away from both games thinking we can/will win this series.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
That was a very winnable game. We just let up and were far too passive in the third. The McDavid beakaway goal rattled them but we could have won that with any sort of pressure.

I do still get nervous when the top line for the Oilers spends an extended amount of time in our zone, but they've done a good job of limiting chances. Overall I've come away from both games thinking we can/will win this series.

I do think the pressure in the back half of the third was concerning. And it was from RNH and Kane as well as the top line. It felt more than just being too passive, the team just couldn’t get the puck out without consistently without just giving it back and getting hemmed again. I think they have a higher top end level than the Canucks and if they bring it consistently it’ll be a hard series to win. But they were also desperate and it was really the only time they looked dominant outside of the PP over the two games, so it might have been a blip.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
They have to move Miller/Boeser off of McDavid matchup, its hurting there offensive game. Since Edm are loading up with McDrai, have Lindholm match them. And Miller and Petey lines can create something vs there bottom 9.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I doubt it finally happens but we desperately need to try something with Pettersson while it's still early in the series. I'd like a proper deployment of the Lotto line instead of this useless one shift approach Tocchet keeps doing for no real reason but anything is better than another game with Hoglander and Mikheyev both on his wing.

Maybe it changes with more time but the lotto line has been pretty bad whenever it’s put together outside of the first game in January. With Oilers at home, keeping the lines spread out means less chance of a mismatch with the McDrai line at least

Reactions: Nopefully and MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe it changes with more time but the lotto line has been pretty bad whenever it’s put together outside of the first game in January

They had a good road trip through NY and then stayed together for several games after that and were bad and outside of 6-on-5 type stuff I'm not sure if they've scored a goal in 3 months despite getting a few shifts together in virtually every game.

If anything, I want to see the Lotto Line *less*.

If you want to change things up, put Lindholm on Pettersson's wing here or there (or Pettersson on Lindholm's wing, more accurately).

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
They had a good road trip through NY and then stayed together for several games after that and were bad and outside of 6-on-5 type stuff I'm not sure if they've scored a goal in 3 months despite getting a few shifts together in virtually every game.

If you want to change things up, put Lindholm on Pettersson's wing here or there (or Pettersson on Lindholm's wing, more accurately).

It is beyond time that Lindholm/Pettersson are put together again. Pettersson set up his wingers with about 5-6 golden chances that went absolutely nowhere due to calibre of linemate.

We know Blueger can backfill Lindholm's 3C spot and had a long history of success with Joshua/Garland this season.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Yea, a lot of people want it to get Pettersson going but I actually think it makes him worse if he’s not going because he starts moving his feet even less, and you end up with a motionless Pettersson and an already slow Boeser and they can’t seem to get the puck back when they lose it.

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
It is beyond time that Lindholm/Pettersson are put together again. Pettersson set up his wingers with about 5-6 golden chances that went absolutely nowhere due to calibre of linemate.

We know Blueger can backfill Lindholm's 3C spot and had a long history of success with Joshua/Garland this season.
Even throwing in Bluegar with Pettersson at this point would be a serious upgrade on the status quo.

Reactions: Tinhorn1

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Problem is that the time to do it was the last 2 games on home ice as opposed to removing a strong defensive C (and I guess putting in Aman?) when they have last change with McDavid at home.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Problem is that the time to do it was the last 2 games on home ice as opposed to removing a strong defensive C (and I guess putting in Aman?) when they have last change with McDavid at home.

Oh for sure, it's going to be tough sledding when it comes to matchups and a lot of quick changes on the fly trying to react to them putting out the one five-man unit (mcDrai + bouchard/ekholm) that accomplishes anything.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
There is literally zero chance that Hronek is going to get $8 million from us. It's a total nonsense number totally out of line with contracts signed by any sort of remotely similar players.

Much rather Z at $5M than Hronek at $8, to be perfectly honest. I’ve been rather unimpressed with him since January. And he’s had some good games, but he’s not a #2, he’s a solid to very good #3.

Reactions: Indiana

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Mikheyev is signed for another two years at 4.75 million, he needs to be bought out if possible, or traded for a sweetener, because he’s been extremely unproductive, I don’t care if he’s working hard

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I do think the pressure in the back half of the third was concerning. And it was from RNH and Kane as well as the top line. It felt more than just being too passive, the team just couldn’t get the puck out without consistently without just giving it back and getting hemmed again. I think they have a higher top end level than the Canucks and if they bring it consistently it’ll be a hard series to win. But they were also desperate and it was really the only time they looked dominant outside of the PP over the two games, so it might have been a blip.

We were just dandy til the 3rd period. That was such a bad read by Myers. I don’t know if it’s a height thing but his mistakes are always so loud. Poor on-ice awareness to try for that with McD

Mikheyev is signed for another two years at 4.75 million, he needs to be bought out if possible, or traded for a sweetener, because he’s been extremely unproductive, I don’t care if he’s working hard

He should be easy to rid ourselves of, he’s a fine player just not worth his hit.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
It's quite clear that Mikheyev isn't able to complement Petey like he did early in the year. Absolutely need to shake things up. Ideally, Podkolzin joins the fray but it doesn't like Tocchet has warmed up to that, even though he'd make a big impact with his size and speed.

Suter Miller Boeser
Hoglander Petey Lindholm
Joshua Bleuger Garland
Mikheyev Lafferty Podkolzin

Even if Oilers have last change, that 4th line has the speed and size to not completely combust if McDrai are matched with them. My only concern is when Cole is on the ice or Hronek decides to fumble all the pucks sent his way. Those two NEED to pull it together. Cole himself has contributed to 4 Oilers goals, plays which he wouldn't make in the regular season.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Puck management was atrocious in that period. I think that was the biggest issue that the Canucks could potentially fix/control. Obviously it's always going to be tough against that five-man unit.

Reactions: Indiana and Regal

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
We were just dandy til the 3rd period. That was such a bad read by Myers. I don’t know if it’s a height thing but his mistakes are always so loud. Poor on-ice awareness to try for that with McD

He should be easy to rid ourselves of, he’s a fine player just not worth his hit.
I don’t think it’s easy to get rid of them at all, I figured it’d actually be extremely difficult

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
This is a scenario where the lack of experience on the core players does matter.

Yes the Oilers haven’t won anything with this core but they do have a lot of playoff experience.

This is the time for Cole, Teddy and the coaching staff to surround the players with that experience.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This is the most obvious move of the offseason.

And you pay whatever it takes to move the whole salary in a trade, buyout shouldn't be an option.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's quite clear that Mikheyev isn't able to complement Petey like he did early in the year. Absolutely need to shake things up. Ideally, Podkolzin joins the fray but it doesn't like Tocchet has warmed up to that, even though he'd make a big impact with his size and speed.

Suter Miller Boeser
Hoglander Petey Lindholm
Joshua Bleuger Garland
Mikheyev Lafferty Podkolzin

Even if Oilers have last change, that 4th line has the speed and size to not completely combust if McDrai are matched with them. My only concern is when Cole is on the ice or Hronek decides to fumble all the pucks sent his way. Those two NEED to pull it together. Cole himself has contributed to 4 Oilers goals, plays which he wouldn't make in the regular season.

As much as Mik has no finish I actually think he’s been a better complement than Hoglander in the playoffs in terms of puck retrievals and possession. I’d consider moving Hoglander down instead and let him just focus on playing his game instead of trying to play off Pettersson.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don’t think it’s easy to get rid of them at all, I figured it’d actually be extremely difficult

We are out of the flat cap, and I’m betting on there will be at least 5 contracts signed this July that will looks worse than Mikh. I don’t think you are getting value, low-end draft pick but we won’t be adding assets to rid him.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Puck management was atrocious in that period. I think that was the biggest issue that the Canucks could potentially fix/control. Obviously it's always going to be tough against that five-man unit.

That’s true, they were really struggling to move and control the puck but it also felt like it was in part due to being worn down and overwhelmed by the attack.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
And again, Hronek at $8 shouldn't even be a discussion point. It's like talking about Joshua at $5 million or something.

I’m walking from anything higher than 7 to be candid.

That’s true, they were really struggling to move and control the puck but it also felt like it was in part due to being worn down and overwhelmed by the attack.

Team was running on fumes last round. Last night was the chance to bury them, but now I think the proverbial gorilla is out of the cage. Their speed is torching our D

Reactions: Flik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad