GDT: WCSF - Game 2| Blues @ Avs| 8:30, TNT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftyVeteran

Lunatic
Apr 15, 2017
I love how even after game 1 all the avs fans and pundits thought the avs were still contenders. shelling a team for over 60mins straight and barely squeaking out a 1 goal game is not the mark of a contender.

Blues are a much deeper team than the avs and it showed tonight. My Blues in 6 prediction is still looking good, I expect the avs to win game 5 out of desperation.

Still, I hope all the Blues whiners that wanted Binnington waived or traded earlier this season (Dizee) remember to spit out the beak before swallowing their mouthfuls of crow.
I am guilty. I was wrong. I am now sorry. At the time, he was dogcrap and as a fan I tend not to give players the time and get too hasty on judgements. I don't know that he's worth that contract, but I do know the net is his.

Plot twist: The Dizzee is a salty Hawks fan.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
What a response. Chalk one up for the altitude theory.

I fully expect them to respond in kind Saturday. If we can match it, Saturday night could be epic.
its overblown ... wow we cant breathe and the avs are fit , new stuff says yeah ... is it really new ?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The Avs have all the tools to be a Lightning type franchise that goes far in the postseason every year. MacKinnon is a game breaker, Rantanen is always dangerous, Makar is going to be a Norris finalist for years to come. All the Blues fans living in reality know how dangerous Colorado is, but they're definitely beatable. My friends keep asking me if I think the Blues will win the series and I tell them if they can contain the Avs' speed, then they can win, otherwise they will lose like they did last year. Well, we saw a fairly healthy Blues team play the Avs the way they've been trying to play, and even with having the defend the transition game and speed, the Blues have managed to win a game in Denver against arguably the hardest competition in the league.

There is definitely hope here that the Blues can control this series, and if we win the first game at home, who knows how this plays out. For such lopsided odds against this team, this series could end up being one of the most exciting we've seen in a long time, and maybe the best series of these playoffs. I'm hoping the boys can keep this play up

Reactions: mk80

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
The Avs have all the tools to be a Lightning type franchise that goes far in the postseason every year. MacKinnon is a game breaker, Rantanen is always dangerous, Makar is going to be a Norris finalist for years to come. All the Blues fans living in reality know how dangerous Colorado is, but they're definitely beatable. My friends keep asking me if I think the Blues will win the series and I tell them if they can contain the Avs' speed, then they can win, otherwise they will lose like they did last year. Well, we saw a fairly healthy Blues team play the Avs the way they've been trying to play, and even with having the defend the transition game and speed, the Blues have managed to win a game in Denver against arguably the hardest competition in the league.

There is definitely hope here that the Blues can control this series, and if we win the first game at home, who knows how this plays out. For such lopsided odds against this team, this series could end up being one of the most exciting we've seen in a long time, and maybe the best series of these playoffs. I'm hoping the boys can keep this play up
Underdogs Unite!

Reactions: mk80

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

they dont have a goaltender like the lightning do though

Reactions: BlueMed

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
they dont have a goaltender like the lightning do though
You don't need a Vezina caliber goalie to win the cup. All you need is timely saves and above average sv%, which Kuemper has been either above average, or very good considering the teams he's played on.

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
1 or 2 injures and your team is shit .. josh manson ... sure he is the winner ... the ducks said take him

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
No cause no way to know how Husso would have played.

binner been good tho
Binnington (playing the way he has been so far in the playoffs) is more valuable to The Blues when playing against strong forechecking teams, because he uses his stick just like a defenceman, snagging the puck on dump-ins or wide shots, and then quickly sending it to his most open teammate, to move it up ice and out of the D-Zone. That avoids lots of potential losses of possession in their own zone, and shots on goal, and so, also momentum turning goals against. Overall, Binnington's basic goaltending skills are more well-rounded, and that helps The Blues, when he's on his game. When Binnington was in his funk, they were better off playing Husso, because Binnington was not playing with confidence, not challenging the shooters and cutting down the shooting angles enough, staying too deep in the net, not fighting to get sight lines to follow the puck, and diving down too much, and sliding too far, and so, letting in far too many goals. But when he's on his game like he's been during this year's playoffs, he's facing many less shots on goal and good scoring chances than Husso would be, simply because his puck grabbing and outlet passing helps neutralise much, if not most of the opposing team's forechecking, and saves The Blues from facing several more good scoring chances (some of which will go into the net when the opponents jump on rebounds, or get good screens (which we saw on Tuesday). Had Husso played tonight, I'd guess that The Blues would have lost 5 or 6 to 3. Binngton basically provides The Blues with an extra defenceman at the most crucial early time in the opponent's forecheck. That thoroughly neutralised it tonight. They scored their only goal on the power play. The ineffective forecheck not only led to 0 goals, but it also lead to many successful breakouts that allowed The Blues to get deep into The Avs' Zone, and spend lots of time there, which was time The Avs couldn't put pressure on The Blues.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
i still think we need to go back to 12/6

we have worn this out

It's been working well though. Having 7 D better allows Faulk and Parayko to play 25ish minutes per night. Plus, the opposition can't prepare for who Berube decides to throw out there with Torpo and Bozak. A lot of times, he puts out a guy that needs extra opportunities to get engaged.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80 and TheDizee

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
It's been working well though. Having 7 D better allows Faulk and Parayko to play 25ish minutes per night. Plus, the opposition can't prepare for who Berube decides to throw out there with Torpo and Bozak. A lot of times, he puts out a guy that needs extra opportunities to get engaged.
Agreed, It's not like we have some game-breaking fourth-liner out there whereas we've seen what one injury on D can do to us.

Our top nine forwards are really good and it's not like we are dying if Walker loses his minutes to Saad, Kyrou, Perron, Scheen, et al.

Reactions: BlueMed and mk80

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
What a response. Chalk one up for the altitude theory.

I fully expect them to respond in kind Saturday. If we can match it, Saturday night could be epic.

Whenever the Blues' backs are up against the wall, they seem to respond in a big way. That's a testament to coaching and veteran leadership. Quite impressive.

Man, Binnington seems to be in a Zen-like state. He's so calm and collected back there, and didn't even get mad after being bowled over by Landeskog as many would expect him to.

I'm really impressed with Kyrou's play at both ends of the ice. He is making a noticeable effort on defense and his offense has really bailed us out.

You are right, Saturday's match is shaping up to be a humdinger!

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Wowza - what an unbelievable effort by the players and the coaches.

If the Blues go on a run, Game 2 vs Avs was the turning point.

I spent the last three months plotting how to get rid of Binnington. "Do I look stupid?"

Let's Go Blues!

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
I honestly feel like i watched a different game than everyone else. Everyone is talking about how the Blues outclassed the Avs, but i didnt see that. We adjusted and neutralized Colorado's speed, but there are so many times where i feel like we are barely hanging on. There is luck on every goal, but i feel that if Kempur is 5% better, we are talking about this game totally differently. Colorado's weakness is mental. Those 2 seemingly weak goals put a lot of pressure on the foundation, and it started to show some flaws. We took advantage, and didn't let up.

It was a good road game. Im happy we won. Im just wondering where my disconnect is.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I honestly feel like i watched a different game than everyone else. Everyone is talking about how the Blues outclassed the Avs, but i didnt see that. We adjusted and neutralized Colorado's speed, but there are so many times where i feel like we are barely hanging on. There is luck on every goal, but i feel that if Kempur is 5% better, we are talking about this game totally differently. Colorado's weakness is mental. Those 2 seemingly weak goals put a lot of pressure on the foundation, and it started to show some flaws. We took advantage, and didn't let up.

It was a good road game. Im happy we won. Im just wondering where my disconnect is.
I think it's a matter of mindset. I am a more pessimistic person by nature, so I can see where you're coming from, but I think you may be underselling the job the Blues did while some may be overselling it. The Blues - outside of Binnington - were not all that competitive in the first game. Extending it back to last year, the Blues hadn't really been competitive at all against the Avs for two straight playoffs. So, last night was a welcome change. The Blues played tough and managed the puck much better, were good enough 5-on-5 and capitalized on their chances. Binnington was good again. I think it's fair to say the Blues were the better team for nice stretches of time last night. Of course there are going to be times on the road, against (arguably) the best team in the league, when they get on top of you a bit. It's about weathering those storms and countering when able. That's what the Blues did, and now they're coming home with the series out there for the taking. I get why people are excited. That said, I reckon we see one hell of a mad Avs team Saturday night, so it'll be a test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad