GDT: WCQR | Game 2 | "Please Show Up" | Blackhawks @ Oilers | 8.3.20 | 8:30PM | SN/NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Nice and Simple GDT. Perfect. If the Oilers win tonight I nominate Del for GDTs going forward. His record in the regular season with GDTs was just how I'm feeling about tonight's game....

Reactions: Del Preston

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I'm an absolute wreck for this game

please for the love of god dissemble the Neal -Khaira - Chia line

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'm an absolute wreck for this game

please for the love of god dissemble the Neal -Khaira - Chia line

You're a wreck and your biggest concern is the 4th line? You realize they weren't on for any goals against and were actually effective at keeping play in the Hawks zone right? If you're a wreck you should be worried about McDavid's line, Klef and Larsson, and the PK. RNH, Sheahan and Archibald were not getting it done on the PK Saturday.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You're a wreck and your biggest concern is the 4th line? You realize they weren't on for any goals against and were actually effective at keeping play in the Hawks zone right? If you're a wreck you should be worried about McDavid's line, Klef and Larsson, and the PK. RNH, Sheahan and Archibald were not getting it done on the PK Saturday.
Neal and Chiasson looked playoff ready imo. Still think

Neal - McDavid - Chiasson
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Ennis - Khaira - Kassian
AA - Sheahan - Archibald

Would be best based off what we saw last game

Reactions: shoop

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't care what the other lines are as long as RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto are reunited. Better to have one line that you know will bring it than a bunch of lines of players who hardly ever played together or have no chemistry.

I'd be tempted to run an AA-McDavid-Neal line. Neal is better on the right side and AA serves absolutely no purpose on a 3rd line, I'd rather see Nygard in that role or Ennis.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I agree with everything you said, everyone needs to be better at 5v5 but it's pretty obvious that our top 6 is set in stone with no movement happening.

if it were up to me, I'd put AA on McDavids line (the reason we acquired him in the first place) and mix up the bottom six a little. the 4th line was assembled for size but I don't really think that is needed vs Hawks. Haas and Nygard could be more effective over Khaira and co

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
What are the chances they actually game plan today? Based on the first game the Oilers did zero game planning for the hawks. Huge let down by Tippett. Sure the players sucked but there didn’t seem to be a plan other than just go out and play.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What are the chances they actually game plan today? Based on the first game the Oilers did zero game planning for the hawks. Huge let down by Tippett. Sure the players sucked but there didn’t seem to be a plan other than just go out and play.
I really don't think this is the case. The team just didn't show up and he wasn't able to make adjustments.

Tippett is one of the better coaches in the game for film and watching teams.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
The Hope:

Edmonton comes out blazing, gets a few goals in the first, but does not let up the rest of the game and it’s not ever in doubt. Final Edmonton 4, Chicago 1

The Fear:

Edmonton comes out blazing, several chances but only get a goal in the first period. Second onwards things calm down and it’s back and forth. Final Edmonton 3 Chicago 2

Why the fear, even though a win? Because this is the game everyone, including Edm and Chi, expect the Oilers to rebound and win. If they barely win, they will lose the series.

If Chi wins today, well...stay away from the board except OT threads that have nothing to do about hockey.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I've chalked up the last game to the "Saturday matinee fever" which has never served us well.
This game matters - a lot - and the players need to know that. Let's get Drai's line back together. Let's remind Kassian that he's not the maitre'd but the bouncer...and staple Khaira to the bench / press box.
Remember that poll about what's the most important factor in these games? Seems like "coaching" has crept to the top.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I really don't think this is the case. The team just didn't show up and he wasn't able to make adjustments.

Tippett is one of the better coaches in the game for film and watching teams.

Yup. Wasn't a game plan issue other than coach decision to start Smith, a veteran leader known and trusted. Game one was an execution cluster flock with bad decision making in all areas, most notable in own zone play; passivity; and chasing the game instead of sticking to disciplined, system play.

Tippett and his coaching staff I think have been fantastic this year. I look to Koskinen to start and this team to rebound with a much greater commitment and work ethic to reduce turnovers and play with discipline in their own end. Connor to adjust and have a big game. Don't think Tippett is a coach to panic and make wholesale roster changes. But rather to focus the message for between the ears play of this team's personnel. Game 2 reset & Oil win coming (gulp ... hopefully ... please ... lol).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yup. Wasn't a game plan issue other than coach decision to start Smith, a veteran leader known and trusted. Game one was an execution cluster flock with bad decision making in all areas, most notable in own zone play; passivity; and chasing the game instead of sticking to disciplined, system play.

Tippett and his coaching staff I think have been fantastic this year. I look to Koskinen to start and this team to rebound with a much greater commitment and work ethic to reduce turnovers and play with discipline in their own end. Connor to adjust and have a big game. Don't think Tippett is a coach to panic and make wholesale roster changes. But rather to focus the message for between the ears play of this team's personnel. Game 2 reset & Oil win coming (gulp ... hopefully ... please ... lol).
I'm not going to lie. Tippett shouldn't have to say anything after that loss. If these guys can't figure out what went wrong themselves they shouldn't be in the NHL.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

The Oilers better put this up on the walls:

upload_2020-8-3_18-53-53.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The only thing that had to do with Tippett is starting Smith. Its the one blame that could be laid at his feet. The line rearrangement was an attempt at getting 2 lines going. I think its a wrong move, but its also product of what limited top shelf players we have. Our big TDL help was getting AA and Ennis and we lost a Gagner in the process. That along with Green, not even wanting to play, could be chalked up to Holland not giving the club any real help. The team was better before the TDL. Thats on a GM anytime.

Tippet has a limited number of players he can play topsix. One line it going to be short any day, regardless how you configure. I'll mention as well that the Drai line worked as well as it did because it coincided with Nuge's annual "Im on" phase. The guy appears to have 1-2mths each season where he's knocking it out of the ballpark. The same player can spend 2-3mths looking ordinary. Guess which one we got in first game.

As much as I critiqued McD, his linemates were horseshit in the first game. No coaching makes up for topline players not even bringing it, not even showing up.

We load up the first line with 22M worth of contract and they get owned giving up 4GA. Doesn't matter whatever anybody else is doing you're gonna lose that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad