Series Talk: WCQF: Winnipeg Jets Vs. Colorado Avalanche (COL lead 3-1)

What's your prediction for the series result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I know the Jets are 3-0, but over the years I can confidently say that regular season results mean diddly squat come playoff time.
I distinctly remember the Oilers absolutely shit kicking the Jets in the covid bubble season and then getting swept. 100% agree with you.

That being said, I don't know the Avs have good enough goaltending or defending to win this series.

Jets in 6.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Playoffs require consistency, majorly physical play, and usually good goalieing.

The Jets haven't been consistent, unless it was to beat up the Avs. The defence can turn it on in the playoffs to shut down star players very efficiently all series long (see Morrissey and Pionk turning McDavid into a ghost). Judging by the way that MacKinnon was a nobody tonight, I like our chances there.

We have a lot of depth this year, but I'm concerned we'll disappear again if one of our stars gets injured. We've been ass the past few years in the playoffs because we're always down multiple key players (Scheifele, Morrissey, Ehlers, Dubois last year, IIRC). Connor is a lightweight that is afraid of physicality, he doesn't show up when his supporting cast isn't there, either. We have a solid 8 NHL D-men that have been rotating all year, plus some good AHL call-ups, so we can stay fresh and work through injuries there.

The Jets are a BIG, heavy, fast team. Players like Lowry, Nino, Dilly, and sometimes Stanley can chew up minutes while punishing the opponent physically. That didn't really show up in the back half of the regular season, but early on in the year, we would wear teams down through the first half of the game and then go off on them in the third period with the extra wheels. I expect the Jets to play very heavy once the show starts, and I don't know who can counter that.

Goalieing - Hellebuyck and Brossoit have been a hell of a tandem this year. Playoff Hellebuyck should be dialed in very well. No concerns.

What gets the Jets in the playoffs are systems. Vegas and Montreal beat us three times because they played a very tight trap game. This killed us under Maurice and I don't think Bowness' system can adapt. The Jets can clamp down with the lead, but can't break through very well when trailing. Colorado plays a run-and-gun setup, which could be dangerous for them if they find a lead. The Jets have been extremely opportunistic this year, so Colorado will pay dearly for any mistakes they make.

Special teams is a wildcard. The powerplay is streaky but usually bad, and the penalty kill hurts us. This is where Colorado is going to have to find their win.

I'm pumped for a good series, these are two well-matched teams. Should be a good one, but I think the Jets bring another level in the playoffs that Colorado isn't ready for. I have Jets in 5.

Last edited:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
As a disgruntled Avs fan, their style/system is working against them and will be exposed in playoff hockey. As soon as there's a breakdown it leads to a high danger chance and their goalie can't bail them out.

Avs cycle the puck and force cross-ice passes looking for perfect looks and empty-net tap-ins. Meanwhile the Jets play almost the exact opposite just playing straight forward hockey and shooting for rebounds. One style works in the postseason and the other doesn't/

We will see if the Avs adjust but they haven't shown signs this season of simplifying things. Let's hope they take some lessons from Winnipeg in this way before it's too late.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The Avs are a much better team but Georgiev blows.. if they go with Annuunen they'll clap the Jets but I don't think they'll be that smart

Reactions: Summer Rose

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Everyone talks about Helle, but with Broswall, our team lives and dies with Scheif. Every time he is out of the line-up, our offence is non-existent, and if he and Connor don’t play a responsible game, they get lit up.

While the recent win streak is promising, the playoffs are a different beast.

GO JETS GO!

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The 2022 Stars were a good team with an elite goalie and Bowness coached them to absorb pressure and be opportunisitic.

If he does that again with the Jets, the Avs will eat them alive

Reactions: Summer Rose

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Lot of people going of recency bias I see. Jets with a beatdown today sure but I dont take revenge factor lightly.

Colorado will remember this. I see Avs in 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad