Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Depends on the score. If Vegas can grab the lead first SJ's not going to be able to afford to run the defense they did in game 6. Having 5 men back in front of the cage makes counter attacking harder which is what I think accounts for the large disparity in shot totals. Seemed to me like San Jose was content to fuel their focus on forcing Vegas to take low percentage shots from the outside, but if they have to chase a lead they can't afford to do that as much. And all the same, if it's a repeat of last game you still need Jones to be lights out and not give up a softie on 35+ SOG.

SJ's strategy worked last night but it's not the safest way to play hockey. The premise of your post only works if San Jose had been dictating play last night which they weren't. They were far more focused on suppressing Vegas' scoring chances and really only got like 3-5 truly high danger chances.

I'm personally more concerned about Vegas again coming out to start the game with caution rather than pushing the issue and San Jose would exploit that with some quick strike offense.

Basically I think if San Jose gets the first goal it will be difficult for Vegas to clutch out the win. Not impossible, but difficult.

It all depends on the situation. Even if it's tied, the Sharks can and should run the defense they did in game six. A lot of their problems in game six stem from poor passing more than anything else. If they're crisper, which tends to be more likely in home games, they're spending significantly less time in the defensive zone. Even if they're losing, that's the defense they have to play against Vegas. Even if it doesn't create opportunities the other way, it's their best way to keep Vegas off the board. Chasing the game only does you good if you can keep the other team off the board and being very aggressive on puck carriers along the perimeter is what opens the middle of the ice for Vegas. Them pinching hard in the attacking zone and the neutral zone is what gives Vegas odd man breaks against the Sharks. They can play a conservative game while behind until the last five minutes or so.

Chances are the Sharks' passing game is not going to be that poor two games in a row so I wouldn't expect Vegas to have the shot totals they did in game 6. And if their passing returns closer to normal while maintaining a more conservative defensive strategy in all three zones, Vegas is going to have a real tough time especially if the Sharks get an early lead. But if Vegas pulls it out, I will have a lot of respect for their resiliency. That goal against in game 6 is a real gut punch and there's a lot of details in the system to adjust to in such a short order. They can absolutely do it but hope they don't obviously. lol

Seven0two

Apr 17, 2018
I agree with those that say that the Sharks took away the middle of the ice and forced Vegas to take shots from the outside. Going into the playoffs I felt as though San Jose was the best team in the Western Conference regardless of the way their season ended. That said, as a Golden Knights fan it was also the matchup that I wanted most because of how aggressive the San Jose defensemen play and the amount of transition chances they have seemed to give up in the short two year history of this matchup. I have to give it up to PDB though because you don't see too many coaches at this point of the season who are willing to change up what they do and he has gotten them to play a more disciplined style thus limiting VGK transition opportunities. I know that a lot of San Jose fans aren't happy with him, but the two biggest moves in the series thus far are sticking with Martin Jones in game 5 and changing the way they defend in their own zone. Have to give credit where credit is due.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
Game 7 - Stellar Vlasic will win this series for the Sharks. Clear the front of the net and keep everything to the perimeter. For sure we will see a handshake tonight. Here's hoping the home team is happy and the visitors are not.

I'll see YOU at The Tank tonight

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Sharks will win if they simplify their game

No stretch passes through the neutral zone that hits no one, they did that dozens of time in game 6.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Are we really having a pissing contest on Caps vs Knights fan attendance? Vegas is always going to have a good visitor crowd, it's a great town to visit.

Back to the series. What system adjustments did SJ make to shut down all the odd-man rushes vs Vegas in the last two games? Feels like the centers are doing a better job slowing rushes up the middle, but I am curious what you all are seeing. This is a key to the game, because Jones is one of the best positional goalies when square to the shooter but pretty weak on odd-man rushes.
Been said already but they aren't pinching hardly at all, getting pucks deep to play the cycle, and not necessarily odd man rush related but the forwards aren't cheating when leaving the defensive zone as much

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
In: Gusev
Out: Bellemare

Drop nosek to 4th. March to 3rd line. Gusev to the 1st

That's how you win

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad