Who wins and in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
BTW where's this Colorado has no depth coming from? Comparing the production of the two teams the only notable difference is literally Tkachuk:
Colorado Avalanche Stats | 2018-2019
Calgary Flames Stats | 2018-2019

Well. Yes. Having a guy who'd play on almost every top line in the league on your second line constitutes better depth in general.

I mean, having a Selke level ~50 point 2C, a ~40 point 3/4C and and an additional ~15 goal, PK monster secondary 3/4C is also a big difference in depth. Having guys like James Neal and Sam Bennett on your third line is a luxury; while no guy lit the score lamp this season, both play vital roles in Calgary.

It's also worth mentioning defensive depth. Calgary's sitting guys in the pressbox that could arguably make Colorado's top 6D depth.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Well. Yes. Having a guy who'd play on almost every top line in the league on your second line constitutes better depth in general.

I mean, having a Selke level ~50 point 2C, a ~40 point 3/4C and and an additional ~15 goal, PK monster secondary 3/4C is also a big difference in depth. Having guys like James Neal and Sam Bennett on your third line is a luxury; while no guy lit the score lamp this season, both play vital roles in Calgary.

It's also worth mentioning defensive depth. Calgary's sitting guys in the pressbox that could arguably make Colorado's top 6D depth.

Not after this game when the Avs will be able to Makar into their lineup.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
All I know is, game one was pretty boring, and really took some of the wind out of my sails for a series that I was really excited for.

After game two, I'm seriously excited for the rest of the series. Best game of the day today IMO although I didn't see much of Nashville/Dallas.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
MacKinnon's line had their way with Calgary all game despite Calgary having the last change. That doesn't bode well the next 2 games for Calgary when the Avs get the last change.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Compher and Soderberg>>Bennett and Neal.

Reactions: MacBradley and cgf

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
This is a perfect example. Comments like these just further the incorrect stereotype that women commentators are inferior to men and give fuel to misogynistic *******s that are looking for any straws to grasp at that discredit commentary on sports by women.

But because of Campbell’s contstantly atrocious commentating performances, ShouldveDraftedFiala is perfectly reasonable...and that’s where the problem lies!

There are so many talented women that can do color commentary on games, but why are we picking the worst ones to represent them???
From what I understand her husband has some pull.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
What role do those guys play on each team, though? Soderberg is the Avalanche's 2nd line center. His direct comparison is Mikael Backlund, and he loses that comparison.
Soderberg did outscore Backlund so it's alot closer than you're insinuating.

Soda's actually our 3C...although our third line has often been our 2nd best line...and Jimmothy is a bottom 6er.
Soda outscored Backlund yet he gets no respect. He quietly puts up his 45-50pts every season.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Soda's actually our 3C...although our third line has often been our 2nd best line...and Jimmothy is a bottom 6er.

Soderberg was 4th among Avalanche forwards in TOI in the regular season and 5th in TOI/GP behind Compher. (Obviously behind the big 3 in both cases.) He seems to me like the #4 guy on that forward group.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Soderberg was 4th among Avalanche forwards in TOI in the regular season and 5th in TOI/GP behind Compher. (Obviously behind the big 3 in both cases.) He seems to me like the #4 guy on that forward group.

Yeah, like I said, his line has been our 2nd best in more games than not. But on almost all official team lineups his line is listed 3rd & they are used like a checking line, not a scoring line :dunno:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Soda outscored Backlund yet he gets no respect. He quietly puts up his 45-50pts every season.

TBF I'd flip Soda for Backlund in a heartbeat. He should get more Selke talk.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Mackinnon is DYNAMITE. Colorado in a few years will be a force. I think Calgary will win in 6 but Colorado has arrived as a team.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, like I said, his line has been our 2nd best in more games than not. But on almost all official team lineups his line is listed 3rd & they are used like a checking line, not a scoring line :dunno:

I guess you could look at things that way, but if you are doing that with the depth, then you have to say compare Backlund’s and Brassard’s line. Either way, Calgary’s depth is better. But the gap between their depth is overrated, it hasn’t really shown up yet in this series, and I don’t think it will make up the gap between MacKinnon/Grubauer and Monahan/Smith.

I think the gap in depth is bigger on defense, though.

By all of 2 points, and Backlund is an elite defensive player. He’s not the Selke level guy that Flames fans think he is, but he’s damn good and a lot better than Soderberg in that department.

For the record, I am rooting for the Avalanche and I think they will win the series. But the reason that I believe they will win is because their #1C and #1G are miles ahead of Calgary’s and Calgary doesn’t have the depth to overcome that. Calgary does still have the better depth though IMO.

Reactions: cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad