Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM02 | Vancouver Canucks lose to Nashville Predators | 4-1 (Zadorov) | Stars Can't Score

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
1713935738182.png

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Well it's both isn't it? They miss the net because they lack high end shooters. I would expect even middling shooters to get better than 21% of their shots on net. That is absurd team wide.

They are shooting on the perimeter and are not getting open looks. Part of this having a good enough shot at distance to generate opportunities regardless, or move/deke in a way so as to create space to create an open look. Then chain events from there. Both come back to a lack of shooting talent beyond just Pettersson.
Well said. You articulated it better than I ever could.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Just one of those games where you vastly outplay the opponent, but squander and/or flub your best chances and welp, you lose.

Happens.

Frustrating as all hell, but it happens.

Kudos to the boys for never giving up and kudos to the Preds for sacrificing their bodies to protect the lead.

That's what it takes to win in the playoffs.

The coaching staff absolutely needs to make some adjustments on the PP and quite frankly they should just roll the Lotto Line + Garland line as two scoring lines, then play the bottom 6 as checking lines.

Just overload a bit, the Preds don't have many horses either, it'll be fine.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I feel like Hughes almost always shoots high and hopes for a downward deflection on the PP
I personally like what Karlsson/Fox do on the PP reasonably often more, where they have a forward keep their stick low on the ice and shoot for the upwards deflection. I just feel like it's more consistent and even if they dont get it, the forwards are still well prepared to go backdoor or make a cross-seam pass down low.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
DeSmith doesn't inspire much confidence in me either but am I missing something or was Silovs also very shaky when he played for us at the end of the season?

What makes people think he would fare any better than DeSmith? The fact that he's younger and has more room to improve?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Best players are not playing like the team's best players. I think the demko injury rattled them. They were playing tight all game

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Four LVPs in this game

Hoglander with two straight bad games
Pettersson missed nets
Juulsen 2 bad penalties and he got walked on the second goal
DeSmith

Fourth line was good, Zadorov stood out as well

Everyone else just meh idk. I thought Joshua looked bad too. Felt very off

Like yes we controlled the shots and I’m not feeling any sort of way the rest of this series buuuut it didnt feel like a dominant game.

I thought we played a good 1st, a bad 2nd, and then score effects and luck represented the 37-4 corsi in the third without a goal.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Volume of shots is absolutely not a new issue for this club. I mean yeah, tonight took it to another level of course but it's ultimately just a very extreme example of something the team already struggled with. It's a lack of killer instinct. The team is very talented but there's so much double clutching and whiffing. Almost no precision.
I think they are trying to beat goalie with perfect shots, that’s why they are holding on the puck for that extra second to get that perfect shot in. They just need to accept they just need to keep moving and throw shit on net. You throw 30-40 shots on net and Saros is going to f*** up.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
DeSmith doesn't inspire much confidence in me either but am I missing something or was Silovs also very shaky when he played for us at the end of the season?

What makes people think he would fare any better than DeSmith? The fact that he's younger and has more room to improve?
DeSmith has also had a pretty excellent record as a back-up, especially before he had to take over starter duty post-Demko injury. Sentiment around him was totally different 50 games into the season and all the anti-DeSmith sentiment feels like crazy recency bias

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
That’s a top 5 most frustrating game I think I’ve ever watched… To watch the Canucks largely control the pace of play, but then fumble and botch every important offensive opportunity, was mind blowing.

Any high danger pass was 3 feet off from the intended player, they probably had 6 or 7 passes back to the blue line that jumped over the stick, and many passes that were “so clever” the intended player didn’t even realize it would be coming. Then, there was the posts, missed open net, and so on, but I’m less mad about that…

DeSmith was a clown act too. We can’t count on that guy. If he’s in net, we need to be on our game, we can’t play how we did.

Reactions: Nopefully

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
This teams gonna be shooked in Nashville with that crowd going off

Series feels over already

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

I think it's probably best to alternate to rest them better and at least force the other coaches to scout different stuff.

Both have been awful in the calendar year though.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

His lateral movement/tracking is brutal. But he has better rebound control and athleticism than DeSmith

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

I doubt the outcome would be significantly different. Just sucks Demko is out again and leaves us with a huge hole. Looks like we’ll need our next goalie sooner than later.

That being said I would put in Silovs if only to give some confidence for the guys in front of him.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops

I'm guessing people feel his World Championship experience/performance is the x factor.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
This team very much looks like the Avs or the Oilers in their first year or two of their core, imo. Probably a little better, but still has the same issues with confidence, consistency, and execution

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

It's because the vast majority of people would rather trust the unknown rather than go with what they think they know.

It's human nature. It's why gambling is so addictive. You know it's wrong and you're going to lose. But the unknown is exciting.

Reactions: Jay26

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Shots are a proxy for possession; shots aren't scoring chances. The Canucks had 30 scoring chances to 13 5on5. Idgaf if the shots are low, if you are generating opportunities to score, then you can score. Would a 40-shot performance with only 20 scoring chances be a better outcome?

I think emotions are high, but objectively, if Nashville plays like this for the rest of the series, they will lose. The Canucks played well and generated plenty of chances.

Objectively, the playoffs are not a great enough sample that possession metrics will bear out within a series. Conversion and conversion talent is paramount.

Granted, I like that they're on the right side of possession metrics rather than the wrong side, but the low shot counts with middling shooter thing (especially on wing) is one of their two big weaknesses. Up to them if they overcome it.

Reactions: Jay26

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

at least he knows

I mean...that seems like it's kinda the whole darn problem though?

He just doesn't have that Nate Dawg arrogant lunatic mentality in him. So he's gotta find some other way of getting there. Because he can absolutely be a gamebreaker without even barely trying. But he gets all up in his own head and just does the most frustrating stuff and sulks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad