Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM02 | Vancouver Canucks lose to Nashville Predators | 4-1 (Zadorov) | Stars Can't Score

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
nashville is doing what we did in the bubble.

we need some set plays to get shots on net.

hughes, miller and pettersson are all feeling the squeeze.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I'm gonna skip the low hanging fruit on this one and just say:

The fans starting the game with a "let's go Casey" chant and him immediately getting scored on is just top tier comedy.

It even crossed the line mid-chant

"LET'S GO CAS--- awwww "

That is f***in funny I don't care who you are.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Was keeping up a bit with the GDT, I have to say that there were some wild comments being thrown out there. That game was absolute domination from the Canucks.

The Canucks generated 20 scoring chances alone in the 3rd period had a xGF even strength of 2.95. The hits were 47 to 30, blocked shots were 30 to 8.

Nashville walks out of Vancouver as phyric victors, but they are going to have to show a whole lot more if they can beat the Canucks over 7. They need more than a few bounces.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Also - don’t see how we can hang this on DeSmith. A complete fluke, an absolute goal scorer’s goal by Forsberg, and a good initial save with no D clearing up the rebound on the third. He didn’t have much to do, but those three weren’t exactly “OMG he sucks” goals. IMO.
Committing to a weak ass shot from the point that was looking to miss the net lead to the first goal. He was committing so hard that he would be like halfway past the post.
2nd goal was a good goal.
3rd goal was a bad rebound on a shot directly on his chest.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Demko injury
0-4 on the powerplay
Hughes slipping and falling
Pettersson looking like a disaster
2 posts and no puck luck
Shakey goaltending
= recipe for disaster

The Canucks played well. Once again outplayed the Predators but Saros outplayed DeSmith by a large margin. Pettersson missing the net was the game heartbreaking moment. Not sure what is up with that guy. A guy of his caliber has to bury that. If Suter or Petterson finished their chances this game could of had a different result. No puck luck at all for the Canucks while Preds first bounce of the game goes by DeSmith. 0-4 on the powerplay again, the lackluster PP will be the death of the team. No Demko is heartbreaking and you can feel the teams loss with his absence. Boring playoff game thats forsure.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Just a horrible showing from our top players through two games.

Petey, what else can you say?

Miller was awful as well. Terrible decisions, whiffing on passes, bobbling the puck constantly. He needs to be much better for the Canucks to have a chance.

DeSmith looked like a back-up being forced into a high pressure situation. Saros looked calm and collected at the other end. Feel for him, but he destroys any confidence the team has in their goaltending.

Nashville didn't have much going but made the most of their opportunities. Sacrificied the body all night and completely frustrated the Canucks.

Special teams also the difference like everyone predicted.

Onto the next one, but they are going to have to get themselves sorted in a hurry.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
It’s so damn frustrating to watch Petey flub empty nets, and Miller continuously defer and not shoot or drive the net. Boeser is a complementary perimeter winger and can’t be paid 7m+ if he’s just going to score in the regular season. Mikheyev just needs to be bought out.

Series isn’t over, but you can see which players can elevate their games and embrace playoff hockey and which players can’t (so far).

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The top players need to be performing like top players come game 3, I’ll be swearing up that GDT like no other. Curse words everywhere.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Preds have figured out that our forwards are trained to drop the puck to the point when they enter the zone so they pressure the D and either take away the shooting lane or just block the shot.

It’s been the story since the all star break. The book is out and Tocchet has done nothing to adjust. Getting exposed now in the playoffs.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
DeSmith bit hard on Forsbergs deke and left the corner open. Guy needs to make a save on at least one of those if we want to win the game.
I mean, seeing as we only scored one, not really. I just don’t think this is a goalie loss.

Our offense not being able to figure out how to get pucks on net was significantly more costly. IMO, Saros has looked beatable, a couple of nice athletic saves aside.

Reactions: B-rock

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
All you guys need to chill out with these takes. You are going to look like idiots when he comes back next season strong.

It’s the same thing that Benning bros do when the gloat about Benning moves only to look like absolute dumbasses in like a couple of months.

Next season?

How about right f***ing now?

We may not come anywhere close to 50 wins next season.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Tonight was just straight up bad luck and a few bad bounces. Vancouver controlled the entire game. At no time was Nashville ever in control of the game tonight. I have no worries about this series yet. If Vancouver keeps playing like they did tonight they will absolutely start seeing the bounces go their way. It's not nearly the doom and gloom some of you are making it out to be.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
@Regal Solid shooters is not high end shooters. Only Boeser has a plus shot on the wing. Hoglander's percentages are high and he's not a distance shooter himself.

Low shot counts thoughout the year. This has been an issue. This game, 84 shot attempts and 18 shots on net... 84 attempts! No one hitting the net.

If you're playing low volume, have the deadly shooters. If you lack the shooters, go high volume on net. Low volume and middling shooting talent missing the net is a loss.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I mean, seeing as we only scored one, not really. I just don’t think this is a goalie loss.

Our offense not being able to figure out how to get pucks on net was significantly more costly. IMO, Saros has looked beatable, a couple of nice athletic saves aside.

I don’t think it’s an either or. Both goaltending and offense were shit, which equals a loss. Simple maths.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
JT Miller, Petey, and Boesser all need to ask themselves if they're okay with getting outplayed by Anthony Beauvillier, and then step up their game accordingly.
Lumping in Miller and Boeser with Pettersson is not fair at all. Miller-Boeser line has completely dominated Nashville in every way except on the scoresheet.

Reactions: Ace of Hades

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Pettersson and Boeser need to show up. Miller has at least been good outside a lack of offense but those two have been either awful or invisible.

Speaking of invisible, what the hell happened to Hoglander? I think I can't how many times he's been mentioned in two games on just one hand. Absolutely terrible showing for him so far.

Pius Suter being our best offensive threat in the top six is embarrassing.
Hoglander is playing with Petterson, what do you expect?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Wingers don't exist on the PP... What even is this?

I'd also just like to address this one with @Bleach Clean since the game thread is closed up. But i'm genuinely curious why you think this is some sort of wild statement, when it's fully and widely evident that it is a true statement about the way that hockey is played. On the Powerplay. Where "Wingers" do not exist.

Winger is a 5v5 position that is dictated by forechecking and defensive systems...and even then, relatively tenuous. None of that even exists on the Powerplay. The best powerplay in the league (and history) is just 3 Centers, a grinder and a Bouche Bomb. So what are you even on about here?

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
His contract will cripple this team for the next 8 years.

Unreal that only a few people seen the writing on the wall.

He is a worse version of Marner.
I don't think it'll cripple the team because of he continues to do f*** all these playoffs I actually think he'll get traded. Management showed they were willing to deal him before and they won't hesitate to make a change of they feel it was a big mistake.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
@Regal Solid shooters is not high end shooters. Only Boeser has a plus shot on the wing. Hoglander's percentages are high and he's not a distance shooter himself.

Low shot counts thoughout the year. This has been an issue. This game, 84 shot attempts and 18 shots on net... 84 attempts! No one hitting the net.

If you're playing low volume, have the deadly shooters. If you lack the shooters, go high volume on net. Low volume and mid-low shooting talent doesn't work.

How is 84 shot attempts not high volume?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'd also just like to address this one with @Bleach Clean since the game thread is closed up. But i'm genuinely curious why you think this is some sort of wild statement, when it's fully and widely evident that it is a true statement about the way that hockey is played. On the Powerplay. Where "Wingers" do not exist.

Winger is a 5v5 position that is dictated by forechecking and defensive systems...and even then, relatively tenuous. None of that even exists on the Powerplay. The best powerplay in the league (and history) is just 3 Centers, a grinder and a Bouche Bomb. So what are you even on about here?

I’m pretty sure it’s just semantics. BC is saying the team only has one skater who plays as a winger 5v5 who is also a useful PP player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad