WCQF Gm#6: KINGS vs. BLUES - 5/10/13 - 4 outta 4 and Onto The Second ROUND! GO KINGS!

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Blues hit the crossbar with 2 minutes left ?

I'm happy we avoided a 1st round exit as SC champs. I think we have beaten a potential WC finalist. The Blues played like we did last season but without the offensive talent.

I hope we improve.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
My observations based on this series

1st tier:
Quick, Doughty, Penner, Williams, Carter.

2nd tier:
Richards, Voynov, Lewis, Stoll.

3rd tier:
Scuds, Martinez, Regehr.

4th tier:
Kopitar, Brown.

5th tier
Muffin, King.

Toffoli, Clifford, Nolan, Fraser, Ellerby just play(ed) too little minutes to judge properly.

Feel free to add.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
My observations based on this series

1st tier:
Quick, Doughty, Penner, Williams, Carter.

2nd tier:
Richards, Voynov, Lewis, Stoll.

3rd tier:
Scuds, Martinez, Regehr.

4th tier:
Kopitar, Brown.

5th tier
Muffin, King.

Toffoli, Clifford, Nolan, Fraser, Ellerby just play(ed) too little minutes to judge properly.

Feel free to add.

I think Richards and Voynov should be first tier. Voynov was a +5 this series with two GWG and Richards was +2 with 5 assists.

Also, I think Quick deserves his own tier higher than 1.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
I know people who went to uMass (I can't believe this is the first time I say this story) but the word around campus back when Jon Quick was there in 2005-2007, is that the guys on the team would legitimately celebrate whenever they would score goals on him at practice. He was unreal. So solid, it doesn't make sense that he dropped to the 3rd round

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
I know people who went to uMass (I can't believe this is the first time I say this story) but the word around campus back when Jon Quick was there in 2005-2007, is that the guys on the team would legitimately celebrate whenever they would score goals on him at practice. He was unreal. So solid, it doesn't make sense that he dropped to the 3rd round

Thank god he did. And thank god the Kings picked him. One of the best Kings picks ever. Up there with the Robitaille pick.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
The #LAKings and #STLBlues were tied or within one goal of each other for 376:25 of the 381:26 played in the series.

Damn.

Such an evenly matched series. That's a series you wish was the WCF. A shame they had to meet in the 1st round and one had to bow out.
On another note, I would like to thank the refs last night for just letting the players decide the outcome. They did what every ref should do in the playoffs, and let the teams play. Can't remember ever saying that.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Such an evenly matched series. That's a series you wish was the WCF. A shame they had to meet in the 1st round and one had to bow out.
On another note, I would like to thank the refs last night for just letting the players decide the outcome. They did what every ref should do in the playoffs, and let the teams play. Can't remember ever saying that.

They did throughout the whole series for the most part, it was excellent to see.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
.. I wouldn't take any team to beat the Kings when Quick is on his game...and he is in the zone right now.

Congrats to the Kings for winning the series. Best 1st round series, and they beat a really tough Blues team. Being a Hawks fan I want no part of the Kings, and didn't want any part of the Blues either...thanks for at least taking them out.

Last edited:

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
I was explaining to everyone in our section last night, that with Dustin Penner it's just a matter of definitions:
We call it "The Regular Season"
He calls it "Training Camp"

But it's good to have him in the playoffs!

Jun 30, 2006
Thank god he did. And thank god the Kings picked him. One of the best Kings picks ever. Up there with the Robitaille pick.

Thanks to the Lombardi crew for developing him into what he is today. Hextall and Ranford had to turn him into a professional, there was a story that Quick was late for practice because he didn't set his alarm. **** got real for Quick after that.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Lots of funny stories about Quick. Happy he kept on developing into the greatest goaltender in Kings history. Quick in his prime is better than Rogie was in his. Different game today but I stand behind it.

I thought that JQ is really the only reason we won last night. The team looked flat and the Blues brought their a game. Great series and I am happy we advanced but it is going to take even more to get past the Ducks (i believe).

I hope that Brownie gets his legs back over the next few days. It was hard to watch him struggle last night. We need Capt Brown back on top of his game.

Happy with A Mart's game, he has been aces.

Voynov is having his ups and downs but his downs are better than allot of players ups so it is all working out for the good.

On to the next series and GO KINGS GO!!!!

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I thought that JQ is really the only reason we won last night. The team looked flat and the Blues brought their a game. Great series and I am happy we advanced but it is going to take even more to get past the Ducks (i believe).

Blues played a better game but they had to, there was no tomorrow and desperate teams usually do that. I think some players/lines looked flat but others not so much. And some of that is tied to 6 very very brutal physical games in 10 days and a lot of sore ,banged up bodies. A St Louis reporter said having been to both rooms,there wasn't one player who wasn't bruised and banged up. Over 450 hits is a lot of body banging.

And Doughty has been amazing, terrific and a total beast. Shift in , shift out - money.

Happy with A Mart's game, he has been aces.

He's been terrific and I like the fact he's giving the Kings a nice opton by joining the rush. And so has Penner for the most part. Don't understand why he's not on the 2nd line. He's been far better than King and has a top 6 skill set. I really don't get what Sutter sees in King to the point he's the best option for 2nd LW. Hope that changes next round.

Voynov is having his ups and downs but his downs are better than allot of players ups so it is all working out for the good.
Despite going thru this last year, he's still a very young D and learning . He's really showing a very promising future as a top liner. Just a great young D in the making and showing more confidence in his offense game and rushing up with the forwards because he has the confidence to get back.

I'm watching the replay of game 6 on NHL Network and having the benefit of knowing the score so as to watch on the little plays being made in the background. Richards is tying up sticks, players, taking pressure off, doing a lot of little things right that I think with the speed of the game, fans don't see, but coaches do, esp in video.
I guess that 's why Pierre LeBrun said he was a 'steady and constant' two way force in the series . And that what he has innately, and the leadership that goes with it, was a huge benefit to a young team when their were both down 0-2 in games and within the game
He's been in 2 dozen elimination NHL playoff games and even overtime game 7's and all of that helps.

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
Yeah but IF we get the DUCKS ... we don't get BOB & JIM, but NBC might give us
kpisrk-30ducks1large.jpg

:cry:
Now, that's enough to make a grown person cry.:cry:

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Blues played a better game but they had to, there was no tomorrow and desperate teams usually do that. I think some players/lines looked flat but others not so much. And some of that is tied to 6 very very brutal physical games in 10 days and a lot of sore ,banged up bodies. A St Louis reporter said having been to both rooms,there wasn't one player who wasn't bruised and banged up. Over 450 hits is a lot of body banging.

And Doughty has been amazing, terrific and a total beast. Shift in , shift out - money.

He's been terrific and I like the fact he's giving the Kings a nice opton by joining the rush. And so has Penner for the most part. Don't understand why he's not on the 2nd line. He's been far better than King and has a top 6 skill set. I really don't get what Sutter sees in King to the point he's the best option for 2nd LW. Hope that changes next round.

Despite going thru this last year, he's still a very young D and learning . He's really showing a very promising future as a top liner. Just a great young D in the making and showing more confidence in his offense game and rushing up with the forwards because he has the confidence to get back.

I'm watching the replay of game 6 on NHL Network and having the benefit of knowing the score so as to watch on the little plays being made in the background. Richards is tying up sticks, players, taking pressure off, doing a lot of little things right that I think with the speed of the game, fans don't see, but coaches do, esp in video.
I guess that 's why Pierre LeBrun said he was a 'steady and constant' two way force in the series . And that what he has innately, and the leadership that goes with it, was a huge benefit to a young team when their were both down 0-2 in games and within the game
He's been in 2 dozen elimination NHL playoff games and even overtime game 7's and all of that helps.

I agree.

Doughty has been nails during the playoffs but I thought he had one of his best seasons to date this past one so I expected him to continue his stellar play.

I also agree that Penner should be playing where King is and visa versa. I don't get what DS is seeing but he gets the benefit of a doubt with me so I just try to let it go most of the time. King has been given a golden opportunity to show us everything he can bring to the table and I believe he has done just that.

Unfortunately what he has shown us is that he belongs in our bottom 6 and then only when he uses his body more.

On Voynov...

The year prior to his draft I got to spend some time following him (and a few of his team mates). I talked with Futa about him briefly and asked if the Kings would have any interest in him (he is average size and we had been drafting allot of bigger kids) and he said "you bet your a** we will".

He was on our radar and I have been a fan since back then. He is playing somewhat below his capabilities but even then VV is still one of the best young D in the game.

I love that the media compares A Pie to DD all of the time when DD is clearly and significantly the better of the two.

For my money the more fair comparison is A Pie to VV. I would give the nod to VV but then I am don't think how tall a player is matters. What matters is the amount of heart and skill in that player more than anything else.

VV plays with a ton of heart but he is also a smart player who is cool under pressure where A Pie losses his temper all too often.

DD and VV are really two of my favorite young Dmen in the league and they both show why every night.

Both teams where beat up but the Blues threw everything they had at us last night and I still think that Quick was the difference between win and lose.

Now bring on them "mighty" water foul, that would be a big win for me.

T308

Sponsor
Feb 13, 2008
SoCal
Was at the game! Holy snikes!

Quick was amazing and I think he was a little hurt in the first period, favoring his right side a little. Could be a twisted ankle .

It was a shot from his right on a sharp angle off the goal line that I think just found its way to a soft spot on his right knee behind the pad. He was in genuine distress for a few minutes, taking a knee during play at the other end and the trainers were looking at him during the first stoppage. Thankfully he shook it off!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad