WCQF Gm#6: KINGS vs. BLUES - 5/10/13 - 4 outta 4 and Onto The Second ROUND! GO KINGS!

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Where has Kopitar's offensive game gone?:huh: His offensive play has been pretty much absent this series? Some say he is injured, If that's true he hides it well. He has played well defensively. I hope he finds his offensive game soon. We all know he is capable of so much more! :dunno:

My opinion is we'll hear after the postseason that Kopi has a wrist injury. He has been miss-handling the puck, making soft passes, and his shot doesn't look crisp. He also seems to be just using one hand on his stick a lot of the time. I'm just not used to seeing Kopi make those kind of mistakes. He is usually nearly perfect on these kind of plays.

Ron*

In regard to the Kings continued record breaking success...it sure doesn't get much press across the country.

Here is one from a team perspective. In 46 seasons, this is only the third time in franchise history they have gone beyond the first round in consecutive seasons.

The other times are 1976 and 1977, and 1989 and 1990.

If they win this next round, it will be the first time ever they have made the third round in consecutive seasons.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
My opinion is we'll hear after the postseason that Kopi has a wrist injury. He has been miss-handling the puck, making soft passes, and his shot doesn't look crisp. He also seems to be just using one hand on his stick a lot of the time. I'm just not used to seeing Kopi make those kind of mistakes. He is usually nearly perfect on these kind of plays.

Not just that, but his knee can't be 100%. He's just so slow out there. It's almost to the point where it's like dude, if you're that hurt, shut it down.

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Not just that, but his knee can't be 100%. He's just so slow out there. It's almost to the point where it's like dude, if you're that hurt, shut it down.

One factor could be also the fact, that Kopitar played in this season already 90 games (53 for Kings, 31 for Mora and 6 for NT), in huge amount of them with most ice-time. And especially in this short season schedule in NHL was not close to normal and this rythm was also against St. Louis with 6 games in 10 nights. Since 1st March Kings played 36 matches in 70 days - for Kings all were almost play-off matches because of bad start. I believe since march madness Kings never had more than two nights off. And because of injury right before start of short season he was out for three weeks and he probably lost some of his fitness during that period.

I really believe this rest right now between round one and two will help him a lot...

Last edited:

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I think everyone, particularly Kopitar, will appear to have improved their game when we play a team less defensively oriented than St. Louis.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
I think everyone, particularly Kopitar, will appear to have improved their game when we play a team less defensively oriented than St. Louis.

MOSTLY THIS ... as if you watch the majority of the time Kopitar got double teamed along the boards and almost any time he touched the puck, the Blues literally gave Kopitar almost ZERO room to get to speed or move about, so it's no wonder he looked so bad and appeared to have a poor performance. On the other hand this opened up opportunities for others on the ice, namely Williams, who I think had the most shots on net of anyone in the series if I heard correctly ?

KingKopitar11*

Or maybe williams has more agility and speed then Kopitar which helped him find more room. Kopitar should find more room next series but Williams was fighting harder. I don't like excuses but it was pretty obvious.

But I do agree he will have more room to do things.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
In regard to the Kings continued record breaking success...it sure doesn't get much press across the country.

Here is one from a team perspective. In 46 seasons, this is only the third time in franchise history they have gone beyond the first round in consecutive seasons.

The other times are 1976 and 1977, and 1989 and 1990.

If they win this next round, it will be the first time ever they have made the third round in consecutive seasons.

And if we get past this round lets hope that we can keep another streak alive. And that is we have never been to a conference final that we haven't won.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
MOSTLY THIS ... as if you watch the majority of the time Kopitar got double teamed along the boards and almost any time he touched the puck, the Blues literally gave Kopitar almost ZERO room to get to speed or move about, so it's no wonder he looked so bad and appeared to have a poor performance. On the other hand this opened up opportunities for others on the ice, namely Williams, who I think had the most shots on net of anyone in the series if I heard correctly ?

Not really sure about that. My concern with Kopitar doesn't have to do with getting glorious scoring chances. It's been that when he's got some time and space (more than enough for "normal" Kopitar), passes are bouncing off his stick, he's not strong on the boards, missing guys with passes, and he's constantly flubbing his clearing attempts from the defensive zone.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Don't sugar coat it, Kopitar was one of the worse Center's in that series.

He played better to end it, but he was awful in some of those games.

Kopitar had ( I counted Nine turnovers in game Six)....You're number one Center can't do that regardless of coverage.

Mike Richards upped his game, Kopitar needs to do the same.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
According to Elias Sports Bureau, Kings are the 1st NHL team to win 5 consecutive playoff series despite playing Game 1 on road each series

And according to me, Kings have won 5 consecutive playoff series for the first time in my life. My LIFE!!!

I could totally get used to this "winning playoff series" thing!! :handclap:

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Just finished watching the replay of Game 6 NBC telecast on GameCenter. After Quick was interviewed by Daryl Reaugh at the end of the game, Quick gave his game-used (series-winning) goalie stick to a kid by the tunnel. The look on the kids face was priceless. Made a Kings fan for life and a heck of a nice gesture. Usually the Kings give the players new sticks to give away during the 3 stars ceremony. This was the real deal.

I know everyone (including me) says don't get attached to players because it's a business but I am continually impressed by Quick's humble demeanor and his ability to elevate his game after a gaffe and strap the team on his back. He basically did it for 4 games in a row this series.

chaser39

Oct 13, 2010
Sorry this is a few days late, but congrats on the series win. What an entertaining group of games. When I think I have seen every possible way the Blues can rip the heart out of my chest, I learn something new. In retrospect, the Kings once again have a team that can win it all. I really respect your team (minus Brown) because of the work ethic and hard-nosed play of your team. Good luck the rest of the way and keep the Cup in the West.

Captain Mittens*

Sorry this is a few days late, but congrats on the series win. What an entertaining group of games. When I think I have seen every possible way the Blues can rip the heart out of my chest, I learn something new. In retrospect, the Kings once again have a team that can win it all. I really respect your team (minus Brown) because of the work ethic and hard-nosed play of your team. Good luck the rest of the way and keep the Cup in the West.

Thanks man!

For the record, the Blues were MUCH improved over last year. I think the Blues were a team capable of making the third round.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron*

As I said over on your board, I think you guys are just one shooter away. Jesus we couldn't get the puck out of our defensive zone to save our lives and if you had a finisher the result would have been far different.

Elliott HAS to get more consistent in goal, also. Other than that, the Blues are right there. Always have a kinship to the Blues, whom I hope get a Cup soon, just not on our watch. As far as the West goes, I agree, if the Kings can't win it I would like to see Sharks or Hawks win it. The Red Wings, however, can go die. I would soon root for the Canucks rather than the Wings. And that is saying something.

chaser39

Oct 13, 2010
As I said over on your board, I think you guys are just one shooter away. Jesus we couldn't get the puck out of our defensive zone to save our lives and if you had a finisher the result would have been far different.

Elliott HAS to get more consistent in goal, also. Other than that, the Blues are right there. Always have a kinship to the Blues, whom I hope get a Cup soon, just not on our watch. As far as the West goes, I agree, if the Kings can't win it I would like to see Sharks or Hawks win it. The Red Wings, however, can go die. I would soon root for the Canucks rather than the Wings. And that is saying something.
Too bad Brett Hull wasn't in his prime for us now. No excuses, the better TEAM won. Can't root for the Sharks. That would be ANOTHER expansion team that won before us. Good Luck against the Sharks. They are not to be taken lightly.

Captain Mittens*

Too bad Brett Hull wasn't in his prime for us now. No excuses, the better TEAM won. Can't root for the Sharks. That would be ANOTHER expansion team that won before us. Good Luck against the Sharks. They are not to be taken lightly.

Brett Hull used to light the Kings up like a Christmas tree

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just finished watching the replay of Game 6 NBC telecast on GameCenter. After Quick was interviewed by Daryl Reaugh at the end of the game, Quick gave his game-used (series-winning) goalie stick to a kid by the tunnel. The look on the kids face was priceless. Made a Kings fan for life and a heck of a nice gesture. Usually the Kings give the players new sticks to give away during the 3 stars ceremony. This was the real deal.

I know everyone (including me) says don't get attached to players because it's a business but I am continually impressed by Quick's humble demeanor and his ability to elevate his game after a gaffe and strap the team on his back. He basically did it for 4 games in a row this series.

Quick is just such a unique human being and this series was proof positive of why he, on a team with so many great players, may be the one most deserving of his numbers in the rafters when all is said and done. There is NOTHING to not like about the guy unless you're David Perron's mother.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad