Pre-Game Talk: WCQF GM 2: Vancouver Canucks vs. Calgary Flames - Apr 17 - 7:00PM PST - CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Both Calgary and Vancouver would be run the eff over by Winnipeg. Feels like for the first time in a while we haven't been dealt a ****** first round match up. MAKE IT COUNT

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Both Calgary and Vancouver would be run the eff over by Winnipeg. Feels like for the first time in a while we haven't been dealt a ****** first round match up. MAKE IT COUNT

Does it really matter much to anyone other than the Aquaman and the VanCity sports bars if the Canucks actually beat the Flames and advance to next round?...after watching the Ducks at work in tonight's game, the "Nucks wouldn't beat that team if it was a "best of 20" series......let the rebuild on the fly continue.:(

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

I'm not sure about Winnipeg. Sure they would have the physical advantage but they sure play some dumb hockey. They go stretches in games where they lack structure and you can break them down. The reason LA and Boston beat us wasn't just because they were big...they knew how to shut things down defensively and frustrate our top players. You can't just run around like a bunch of headless chickens... everything you do has to be within the structure of the system for a team to be successful.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
How's the party on the plaza? I'll be going to game 5 and was just curious if it's worth going. I remember it being a lot of fun during our run a few years back.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
If they keep playing those icetimes it wont be a game 5 im afraid.

The D need redistribution, play your best as the gap is so big down the pairings from the number one pairing. But I believe in the forward distribution being rather even, all being fresh at all times and really no bad line (Kass in, now, please).

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Yup so bad, shouldnt be in the top 6. Bae should be on the second line but ill stop wishing because we all know it wont happen

I Think our forwards are definitely lacking skill on LW after Daniel. Higgins is still usefull down the lineup so I wouldn't scratch him but I'll give Matthias and Kenins one game to show me something or Sven it up. If a 18 yr old can provide a spark for the flames surely a 22yr could give us a spark against his former team.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I Think our forwards are definitely lacking skill on LW after Daniel. Higgins is still usefull down the lineup so I wouldn't scratch him but I'll give Matthias and Kenins one game to show me something or Sven it up. If a 18 yr old can provide a spark for the flames surely a 22yr could give us a spark against his former team.

Exactly, Higgins in the bottom 6 is fine and right now i rather have Bae in the line up over both Mathias and Kenins.. At least Kenins hits tho, cant believe how quiet Mathias was.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I think we got outcoached. The Flames made a really good adjustment and was able to really establish themselves as the game went along. The Canucks didn't adapt very well...

Coach Willie D doesn't exploit his advantages as hard as he can with home ice. No reason why we should see Tanev almost tied with time on ice as Bieksa.
AV was really good at line matching and managing time on ice (for the most part -LOL Rome/Glass).

Was this the same strategy WD used last year in Texas?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I'm a well known Anti-Dorsett poster.

But, credit where credit is due. Dorsett had 7 hits on the night. We need that from our lineup. Canucks need to go after Russel and Wideman hit them hard. Kenins also had some hard hits. Get at them hard in the forecheck and finish every single hit on a defenseman.

If we could get Kassian back that would do wonders. We have to wear down their defenseman.

I don't really see that to be honest. I think Dorsett had a decent game but I don't think he was overly physical, nor that those 7 hits can be taken as an accurate way of assessing it. IMO Kenins had more of an impact physically even if he was only credited 3 hits (that early hit on Wideman was a better hit than Dorsett has thrown the entire season).

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Expecting the Bonino line to bounce back in a big way

Yeah, they'd been playing well and I think their poor game was an aberration.

Let's hope.

That was the worst line in terms of shot differential. Next was Horvat's line.

http://war-on-ice.com/game5.html?seasongcode=2014201530181

I didn't expect the Richardson line to finish in the positive in terms of possession, so that was a good sign. Horvat's line should also improve as things wear on. They finished below the bar, but not drastically so. That was left to the Bonino's line.

If the Canucks 'normalize' at 2 lines being in the positive, while two are at even, it bodes well. The Sedins already handle one part of that equation. Now they just need the Bonino line to wake up. In the last month, both the Bonino line and the Horvat line were positive possession lines.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Hopefully the Canucks will show up with some purpose. Canucks have a lot going for them but they do not have their playoff mode engaged. Desjardins obviously can't get through to them. Maybe Benning should explain that jobs for next season are earned in this one?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yup so bad, shouldnt be in the top 6. Bae should be on the second line but ill stop wishing because we all know it wont happen

Is this what we've started calling him? There has to be something less "teenage girl from Maple Ridge-ish"

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Is this what we've started calling him? There has to be something less "teenage girl from Maple Ridge-ish"

Call him whatever you want. I'm sticking to Sven bae. There is no last name more appropriate for this usage than svens. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad