GDT: WCQF Game 4, (1) Vegas Golden Knights vs (WC1) LA Kings @7:30 VGK lead series 3-0

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
All things considered I'd say it was a successful season and management now has a better idea of what we are lacking. Blake has done a great job focusing on recouping some assets and the young kids got some valuable playoff experience. Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, and Quick had good to great seasons and still have some life left. They really need more balance throughout the lineup so players aren't exhausted after 1 period. We are in a lot better shape than before Blake took over...
No, sky is falling, build your funeral pyres now and light it all up

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
tl;dr

Kings got swept, spin it all you want, but they scored 3 goals and won 0 games. Pretty pathetic. The only worse result would have been less goals scored, which probably isn't physically possible.
Or they lost every game 5-1 and didn't look like they gave a shit. At least they played hard all 4 games.

Reactions: mrkolice

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
What????

Sports is the ultimate results oriented business.

The results haven’t been there, period.

No, finance is, but that's besides the point,

Results are a by-product of hard work, preparation, skill, and luck.

Anyone questioning their hard work is out to lunch
Preparation, possible, but that's on the coaching staff,
Skill, I think that's where everyone is at, we have some, not enough, need more in specific areas, everyone can agree to that, but every team wants, can use more skill
Luck, had ZERO of it this series, not once, not one bounce went our way.

You need those four to get results in sports

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Considering the escalating costs of tickets, parking, concessions, etc., you damn better present a product that delivers a bang for the buck.

During Gretzky's last few years here, the attendance at the Great Western Forum was pitiful, even with the best player in the league on this team. We all know why that happened, and we don't have to go through a history lesson to explain it.

The fans don't want to support a losing team. Call them bandwagoners, fair weather fans, what have you, but this organization needs those fans to blindly support them and foolishly spend money to support this current, mediocre product that is being presented to them.

They lost a lot of season ticket holders after missing the post season, and I think repeated failures and a boring product could further impact attendance. From my own personal experience, I was less compelled to go to games due to the cost. I didn't find that it was worth my time or the money. Even on the secondary market, tickets were overpriced.

Of course, I still watch every game, I'm just not foolish enough to spend money hand over fist. I limited myself to two games this season, considered playoff tix, but thought better after what transpired in 2016 and wanted to wait out to see how the team performed in Round One before making any commitment, and boy is my wallet thankful of that!

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Considering the escalating costs of tickets, parking, concessions, etc., you damn better present a product that delivers a bang for the buck.

During Gretzky's last few years here, the attendance at the Great Western Forum was pitiful, even with the best player in the league on this team. We all know why that happened, and we don't have to go through a history lesson to explain it.

The fans don't want to support a losing team. Call them bandwagoners, fair weather fans, what have you, but this organization needs those fans to blindly support them and foolishly spend money to support this current, mediocre product that is being presented to them.

They lost a lot of season ticket holders after missing the post season, and I think repeated failures and a boring product could further impact attendance. From my own personal experience, I was less compelled to go to games due to the cost. I didn't find that it was worth my time or the money. Even on the secondary market, tickets were overpriced.

Of course, I still watch every game, I'm just not foolish enough to spend money hand over fist. I limited myself to two games this season, considered playoff tix, but thought better after what transpired in 2016 and wanted to wait out to see how the team performed in Round One before making any commitment, and boy is my wallet thankful of that!

Agreed, speaking of parking, where the hell do you part at Staples? I remember Great Western had wide, expansive parking lots, just humongous lots in Inglewood, what do people do for parking at Staples?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Wise decision. I didn't go to a single regular season game this season, and didn't have plans to go unless they got to the conference finals.

I will go to some regular season games if they start a rebuild, because I will be interested to see how the youngsters are playing. In such a case, I would expect prices on the secondary market to be very reasonable.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Agreed, speaking of parking, where the hell do you part at Staples? I remember Great Western had wide, expansive parking lots, just humongous lots in Inglewood, what do people do for parking at Staples?
There's parking lots right across the street. There's also lots surrounding the stadium. A metrolink runs to dtla that's about 3 blocks away, too. A lot of fans (like myself) take that train and just walk to Staples

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

I park off site but the cost continues to climb due to development and lack of availability. You can find yourself in a $35-50 situation on the dreaded afternoon game/big event at the convention center scenario.

I expect a minimum of $15 over at a lot by the Pico station. I know that real estate is being looked at for development too, however.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I park off site but the cost continues to climb due to development and lack of availability. You can find yourself in a $35-50 situation on the dreaded afternoon game/big event at the convention center scenario.

I expect a minimum of $15 over at a lot by the Pico station. I know that real estate is being looked at for development too, however.
I park over in a lot on Grand between 8th and 9th. All the closer lots are being bought up.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I park 5-6 blocks away and either find street parking for $1 or park 7-8 blocks away and pay $5.

Reactions: KingTrouty

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
We are always rolling up at 7:30 pretty much or a bit later so we suck up the extra cost to be closer and not miss more of the game.

Won't have to worry about being late for several months now, however.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
How is the area down there now, I'm assuming it's "upgraded" can't think now obviously, but 20 years ago, I don't think you could pay anyone enough to park a car down in that area late night etc,

Now could be mind's playing tricks on me, but that's what I remember

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
How is the area down there now, I'm assuming it's "upgraded" can't think now obviously, but 20 years ago, I don't think you could pay anyone enough to park a car down in that area late night etc,

Now could be mind's playing tricks on me, but that's what I remember
Much better. Some streets are still sketchy but for the most part it's ok.

Reactions: KingTrouty

mrkolice

May 26, 2014
Ljubljana, Slovenia
there was a fine comment under the slovenian news about the last game. the guy who wrote it quoted dino radja, a decent nba player in the 90s, croat, that's europe. dino radja, roughly translated, said it once:

"18 seconds till the end. we're 2 points behind, our ball. timeout requested by our coach. i'm nervous, trembling. coach is speaking with a soft voice, my teammates are watching the cheerleaders. i'm the only one under pressure here. i take a look around, i see our most hardcore fans - they just ordered new sausages with french fries, laughing and having fun, with oil all over their mouth. some are dancing. at that moment i stopped caring and i started playing strictly for money. big money. millions."

now i just hope the management takes that quote as a judging meter about the players. and i'm pretty sure lombardi and sutter would do that in the first place.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
And yet, they took it to double overtime, where all they needed was a bounce,

Not sure why that's so hard to comprehend, they had chances to win that game once it hit OT, you realize that right?

You realize the scoring chances in OT were almost tripled in favor of Vegas, right?

OT or no OT, Vegas was the better team in every metric of statistic known to hockey in game two. It was the least close game of the series, regardless of the score.

The Kings held a lead for 33 minutes in four games. TOTAL.

This was not a close series. This was a sweep in which the Kings only scored four goals.

We’ll see how far Vegas goes. I’m of the group that believes they are indeed for real. I think they can beat the Sharks, and give Winnipeg/Nashville some trouble.

HOWEVER, the Kings still got beat. Handedly. You’re deluding yourself by thinking this was a close series. It wasn’t.

The Kings need to rebuild. The portion of the fan base still pretending otherwise are outright damaging the future of the franchise. Luc will continue to dog whistle to people like you about the “competitive window” and you’ll continue to eat it up, continue to purchase tickets, and continue to keep afloat this dead team, thus delaying the needed rebuild.

I’m not spending a dime on this product until management convinces me they’re actually headed in a new direction. This core is done. The competitive window is closed. We don’t have near the quantity of NHL ready prospects Boston had.

It’s time to rebuild. Period.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You realize the scoring chances in OT were almost tripled in favor of Vegas, right?

OT or no OT, Vegas was the better team in every metric of statistic known to hockey in game two. It was the least close game of the series, regardless of the score.

Again, one bounce, one goal, in OT that ends the game, in the end it doesn't matter how many chances you had, it's how man you converted on, Kings could have had two chances, all they need to do is convert on one,

You seem to be missing that.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad