GDT: WCQF | G3 | “Welcome to Holloway” | Oilers @ Kings | 4.26.24 | 8:30PM | Staples Center | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
tbh I think its a coaching copout to say we don't care about matchups. Even the best team in the league I ever watched, in the 80's, Sather, and Muckler cared about matchups and exploited and benefitted from them anyway they could. Not disputing what you are saying, Knob has stated that but I don't agree with it. Also the teams mantra is we don't worry about opponents, we focus on what we're doing isn't always working out so well EV and it could even hold us back in that regard.
Matchups matter but TBH on a contender, any of your top 3 lines should be able to go out there against anyone and hold their own. We've had to shelter Kane this season and he's not really a top 6 option anymore with his injuries. Draisaitl line, which has been great all year, is now getting caved vs Kopitar/Byfield. Add that to Skinner letting in every semi-dangerous chance- we have too many things killing us right now. Knob can line match all he wants, large parts of this roster simply need to be better.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This consistent with Knob approach not to worry about anything opponent is doing. But its problematic. Kings can ice 3 strong lines that play 200ft games well. Our third line is a potential sore spot. The 4th line could struggle too. Kind of weird not to change up the configs on the road to balance out the lines a bit. Perry and Kane tend to get caught deep and McLeod isn't strong enough to withstand that.

The 4th line has been good. Carrick has elevated his game as well as Holloway. Jan playing with a lot of Jam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mav3rick07

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Matchups matter but TBH on a contender, any of your top 3 lines should be able to go out there against anyone and hold their own. We've had to shelter Kane this season and he's not really a top 6 option anymore with his injuries. Draisaitl line, which has been great all year, is now getting caved vs Kopitar/Byfield. Add that to Skinner letting in every semi-dangerous chance- we have too many things killing us right now. Knob can line match all he wants, large parts of this roster simply need to be better.
Should and will are differnt matters. Perry has been crap in the playoffs through two games while Kane at least has been hitting and trying. Can't fault Kanes effort. The line looks like trouble to me. If a line is going to crack its the 3rd.

The goaltending simply needs to be better.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
This consistent with Knob approach not to worry about anything opponent is doing. But its problematic. Kings can ice 3 strong lines that play 200ft games well. The third line is a potential sore spot. The 4th line could struggle too. Kind of weird not to change up the configs on the road to balance out the lines a bit. Perry and Kane tend to get caught deep and McLeod isn't strong enough to withstand that.

The 4th line has been good. Carrick has elevated his game as well as Holloway. Jan playing with a lot of Jam.
He is making the same mistakes Woodcroft made. He should put McLeod against whoever he thinks L1 is for the Kings. Hint - it's Kopitar

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Knob seems very patient with his line deployments. We'll see if it pays off.
Starting to worry that he's just not as much an adjustments type of coach. His line configs to start playoffs and his choice of who's in, I think have been good although I'd want to see Stecher draw in. Lets be clear here too. Nobody would know the Kings playbook more than Stecher. He should be playing in this series.

But from my view the third line were getting caught. Didn't hurt as much in first two games in regulation as Kings didn't have the matchups they would want. KK frankly got owned on the OT matchup, at home, and theres no way except not being dillgient that our third line was up against the Kings topline in OT and with our Ceci-Nurse pairing. Thats being beat on coaching soon as puck is dropped. Shouldn't happen where you have last change.

In anycase the 3rd line were exploited last game for the winning goal in OT and yet here we are back with them.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I find Foegele sticks out like a sore thumb. Not sure why Holland didn't think it's okay to not upgrade that position

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I find Foegele sticks out like a sore thumb. Not sure why Holland didn't think it's okay to not upgrade that position
Foegele is either good or bad. Very little in between with this player. He had a generlly good season, and he outscored RNH who is on topline all season and top pp unit all season. That should be embarrassing. We need production Nuge to show up once in awhile. Maybe he could cash some of the empty net looks Drai is handing him.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Just read he has 3 goals in 27 playoff games including the empty netter in game 1.

Soft player prone to stupidity in the playoffs.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
Let's f***ing go!

Bring on the Queens and let them bend their knees in front of an big Oil Drop⚫💧

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
A few concerns that I want to point out and I hope Knobs is watching:

1) Despite winning in the first game, Skinner hasn't been at his best in this series. Assuming he starts again tonight, I wouldn't hesitate to pull him if the Kings go up 2-0 quickly in the first.

2) The second line has been a major red flag. They haven't created anything offensively and have gotten their teeth punched in defensively. If Draisaitl wants 13+ million, he needs to prove that he can carry a line away from McDavid. This means not only producing offensively but also holding water defensively. I've watched him struggle all season and defended him from his detractors, but I haven't seen anything in these two games to show me that he has been saving it for the playoffs.

3) The Kings are beating us at EV. We won the first game solely on the basis of the PP as LA actually outscored us at EV (not including the empty net goal). We need better EV production from all lines going forward, especially Lines 2 and 3.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He is making the same mistakes Woodcroft made. He should put McLeod against whoever he thinks L1 is for the Kings. Hint - it's Kopitar
Moving forward in this series if Draisaitl cant handle an almost 37 year old Kopitar then this team is in trouble.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Just read he has 3 goals in 27 playoff games including the empty netter in game 1.

Soft player prone to stupidity in the playoffs.

It's strange, because his first trip to the playoffs was actually productive (5 goals in 15 games), but he hasn't accomplished much of anything since.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
I really don't have any expectations of the team anymore, mainly due to Skinner.

They could win this series in 5, they could lose it in 5. Such is the drawback of having a detriment that is a goaltender who can cost you a game on any given night.

It has to be hard playing in front of somebody like that and it definitely affects the confidence that this team plays with.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Someone should tell Foegs that a good playoff performance will go a long way to getting him 4 mill+ next contract.

Guy should be busting his hump every play just seeing dollar signs.

2 points in 2 games ain’t bad though haha.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Moving forward in this series if Draisaitl cant handle an almost 37 year old Kopitar then this team is in trouble.
That's my concern. It seems like a repeat of the Vegas series for the second line, despite entirely different wingers.

Reactions: guymez

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That's my concern. It seems like a repeat of the Vegas series for the second line, despite entirely different wingers.

Nuge was stinking it up on his left wing last year too. Only difference is Yamamoto and Foegele, which at this point looks like roughly a wash.

A friend floated this idea to me which is somewhat intriguing:

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
McLeod - Drai - Foegele
Holloway - Henrique - Perry
Kane - Carrick - Janmark

McLeod is and has always been the most effective compliment to the Drai/Foegele combo, RNH goes to the top line where he is more impactful, Henrique is more than capable of centering the 3rd line. Third line has a bit of speed risk, but Holloway mitigates some of that.

RNH and Leon both like to slow down and look for passes leaving the zone and in the neutral zone so there is nobody pushing the defense back to make plays and ease breakouts. It just doesn't work.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I sense another bad game by Skinner, and that is that. Can't win without at least passable tending, and he hasn't done that a single time yet in the playoffs that I can recall. Maybe 1 game last year? Until he proves he can do it, I will continue to assume that he can't.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A few concerns that I want to point out and I hope Knobs is watching:

1) Despite winning in the first game, Skinner hasn't been at his best in this series. Assuming he starts again tonight, I wouldn't hesitate to pull him if the Kings go up 2-0 quickly in the first.

2) The second line has been a major red flag. They haven't created anything offensively and have gotten their teeth punched in defensively. If Draisaitl wants 13+ million, he needs to prove that he can carry a line away from McDavid. This means not only producing offensively but also holding water defensively. I've watched him struggle all season and defended him from his detractors, but I haven't seen anything in these two games to show me that he has been saving it for the playoffs.

3) The Kings are beating us at EV. We won the first game solely on the basis of the PP as LA actually outscored us at EV (not including the empty net goal). We need better EV production from all lines going forward, especially Lines 2 and 3.
I completely agree except to say that Skinner had one bad game...not 2.
He was excellent in the first game.
There has been a significant amount of hyperbole on here regarding Skinner overall.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Nuge was stinking it up on his left wing last year too. Only difference is Yamamoto and Foegele, which at this point looks like roughly a wash.

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
McLeod - Drai - Foegele
Kane - Carrick - Janmark

McLeod is and has always been the most effective compliment to the Drai/Foegele combo, RNH goes to the top line where he is more impactful, Henrique is more than capable of centering the 3rd line. Third line has a bit of speed risk, but Holloway mitigates some of that.

RNH and Leon both like to slow down and look for passes leaving the zone and in the neutral zone so there is nobody pushing the defense back to make plays and ease breakouts. It just doesn't work.
That could work. Hopefully Knoblauch uses his creativity to make the needed adjustments in a timely manner.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
McLeod - Drai - Foegele
Kane - Carrick - Janmark

I like those lines. :nod:
Not sure how Kane would react to being on the 4th line though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Foegele is either good or bad. Very little in between with this player. He had a generlly good season, and he outscored RNH who is on topline all season and top pp unit all season. That should be embarrassing. We need production Nuge to show up once in awhile. Maybe he could cash some of the empty net looks Drai is handing him.
Yeah, that consistency is likely why Carolina had no need to keep him around long term. I love McLovin when he's on, but even then, he should be on the third line. I don't like him playing with Draisaitl a whole lot.

It's quite simple, if the Oilers don't beat themselves they win. The fate of this series, and just about every game they play, rests y almost entirely on the sticks and brains of the Oilers.
Yep, if we don't give it away to the Kings, we shouldn't lose another game to them. Unfortunately, they seem to be okay with giving away games sometimes. The killer instinct is lacking. They need to go for the jugular tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad