GDT: WCQF | G1 | "of Kings; Dragons & Demons" | Oilers vs. Kings | 4.22.24 | Rogers Place | 8:00PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Kings passive tight diamond PK is going to struggle into the Oilers PP if they don't adjust. Too much movement and too many dangerous shooters and too many guys who can squeeze pucks through narrow lanes.

The only way to limit the Oilers PP is an aggressive PK, but you're also playing with fire if you don't execute with an aggressive PK. Nevertheless its better than giving the Oilers time to pick their lanes and tee up Bouchard/Drai.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Dubois is such a pos. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er can’t get fired up to save his life.

Hyman is the best contract in the league, “Dubois the pus” is the worst.

I am coming to Edmonton on May 16-20 to stay at the Fantasy Hotel at west Edmonton mall, hopefully the Oilers are still in the playoffs.

what would people in Edmonton think if I wore my Calgary Flames jersey? I so want to do it, my wife said don’t, you’ll get beat up:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Tell your wife not to worry, people will just point and make fun of you. Some might come over and give you a sympathy hug.

Reactions: viper0220

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Didn't really shit the bed. 2 self deflected goals and a broken stick giveaway. He really had no chance on those 3 fluke goals.
Didn't have a chance on the first one either because he was completely screened. Only thing the Oilers need to look at from G1 is being smarter in front of their net, but sometimes there's no getting away from a deflection.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Didn't really shit the bed. 2 self deflected goals and a broken stick giveaway. He really had no chance on those 3 fluke goals.
i agree but his rebound control was kinda lacking and he had happy feet on the scramble plays, didn't exactly inspire confidence

doesn't matter because against this kings team, they handily outscore these problems. kings aren't ready to play a netfront game against nurse, ekholm, desharnais et al where they might punish the rebound control

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
i agree but his rebound control was kinda lacking and he had happy feet on the scramble plays, didn't exactly inspire confidence

doesn't matter because against this kings team, they handily outscore these problems. kings aren't ready to play a netfront game against nurse, ekholm, desharnais et al where they might punish the rebound control
He's normally one of the calmer goalies in the league when it comes to unnecessary movement in his crease. Playoff hockey in general makes goalies scramble a lot more because there's a lot more net front crashing cause guys are going all out. Ullmark was swimming in the crease in the Toronto game. Talbot was like a fish out of water tonight and is probably lucky the Oilers didn't score 10 with how many scramble plays he had zero control on.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Green

Nov 13, 2019
what happens in a theoretical sense if the Oilers win the Cup and Hyman has like 30 goals and 2 assists and McDavid has 30 assists and 2 goals, I assume they would give the Conn Smythe to McDavid since it is obvious he is the main reason for most of Hymans goals, rather than just valuing goals over assists and giving it to Hyman

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
what happens in a theoretical sense if the Oilers win the Cup and Hyman has like 30 goals and 2 assists and McDavid has 30 assists and 2 goals, I assume they would give the Conn Smythe to McDavid since it is obvious he is the main reason for most of Hymans goals, rather than just valuing goals over assists and giving it to Hyman
Still have to convert them.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think Skinner wins it. Guy stood on his head in the finals.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I turned the game off at 2-0. It looks like that was the right call. From what I saw (and from the highlights of what I missed), the game went pretty much as expected. It's the same thing as the last two years. The Kings match up well with the Oilers at 5-on-5 until McDavid gets on the ice and then they suddenly act like they have no idea what to do. Do we back off of him or stand up to him? Do we concentrate on him even if lesser players might be open? Whatever they choose, it ends up being the wrong choice. Credit to McDavid for being so good that he has that effect on them and can make them pay no matter what they choose, but, every year, another team figures out how to play against him and win a series against the Oilers. So, there is a way, but it's obviously a complete mystery to the Kings and it looks like it'll probably stay that way until the front office and bench are overhauled. At least there's a good chance of that happening if they lose in 4 or 5 and the rest of the losses are like this one.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I turned the game off at 2-0. It looks like that was the right call. From what I saw (and from the highlights of what I missed), the game went pretty much as expected. It's the same thing as the last two years. The Kings match up well with the Oilers at 5-on-5 until McDavid gets on the ice and then they suddenly act like they have no idea what to do. Do we back off of him or stand up to him? Do we concentrate on him even if lesser players might be open? Whatever they choose, it ends up being the wrong choice. Credit to McDavid for being so good that he has that effect on them and can make them pay no matter what they choose, but, every year, another team figures out how to play against him and win a series against the Oilers. So, there is a way, but it's obviously a complete mystery to the Kings and it looks like it'll probably stay that way until the front office and bench are overhauled. At least there's a good chance of that happening if they lose in 4 or 5 and the rest of the losses are like this one.
I'm not really sure anyone has figured out McDavid to win a round. They've found other parts of the roster to exploit in past years.
VGK - 10 points in 6 games
CGY - 12 points in 5 games
COL - 7 points in 4 games

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta

This is black and white. Tonight's hat trick couldn't have been more than 10 feet in the aggregate.

Look at the location of his first 40 goals. There is credit for willing to pay the price for being close to the net-the cross checks, slashes,etc.-but almost every one of his goals is the result of him being the beneficiary of playing with an all time great. Often times, he's playing with Draisatl as well.

It is not a "hypothetical throwaway comment" asking what someone thinks his production would be on another team. It's a question that someone who knows hockey and not a fanboy could give a realistic answer to.

But it is a hypothetical question. The fact is, he scores plenty of goals, has excellent chemistry with the best player in the world and works his tail off for everything he gets. The rest of everything is moot.

If you think about it

it's actually kind of impressive the Kings haven't learned ANYTHING in 3 years
To be fair I thought they were running a significantly more aggressive forcheck tonight

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton

Kinda weird: Klim Kostin was at the game with his own Oilers jersey. Maybe he's thankful that the team got him that contract.

I think Klim was universally loved by Oiler fans. We all hated to lose him but completely understood his need to cash in. I’d love to have him back for the third or fourth line if they could make the money work.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad