WCQF: (2) Anaheim Ducks vs (3) San Jose Sharks

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That wouldn't really explain why they're also bottom 10 in shot attempts and high danger chances against per 60, although they're 5th in GA/60 so I guess defensively they're doing something right
Part of it is we iced a really bad team for a while... and i dont think the team really started clicking until last month or 2 of the season... rcs system sucks and a lot of dump and chase , or dump in change and only a few players actualky get a green light to create plays. Wouldnt read too far into advanced stats tho, weve generally been iffy in those and we generally do decent in playoffs

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
That wouldn't really explain why they're also bottom 10 in shot attempts and high danger chances against per 60, although they're 5th in GA/60 so I guess defensively they're doing something right

The GA/60 is because of goaltending. Gibson/Miller have been incredible this year, much better than the numbers show. If the Ducks had just above average goaltending this year, we'd be talking about if they had a chance to win the lottery. The rest of it, a lot of the bad stats comes from the first half of the season. The Ducks lost so many players to injury this year, it's hard to get shot attempts when your top 2 centers are Grant and Vermette and you have Bieksa and/or Beauchemin in your top 4.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I've only ever watched about every NHL game he has played - so there is that. He is a serviceable #6 dman. The alternative to him is Tim Heed, who produces at a slightly higher rate offensively, can be a trigger on the PP and makes a better outlet pass, but Demelo is better enough in the d-zone to make up the difference for me. Watching Heed get walked wide a couple of times was enough for me to get on board with Demelo as the #6 despite his shortcomings.

I guess the way I'd put it is I don't see either Demelo or Heed winning us a game, but I could see Heed losing us one more so than Demelo.

I don't even understand where the argument is that Demelo is better defensively. He's been getting destroyed these last stretch of games. I honestly feel that people think Demelo > Heed defensively just because of their size.
I can confidently say that if he wasn't in the line-up this latest stretch, the Sharks would have home-ice right now. It's only going to get worse in the playoffs.

Not to mention having Heed over Demelo is a no-brainer, but not having Ryan over Demelo is just plain idiotic by Deboer.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The GA/60 is because of goaltending. Gibson/Miller have been incredible this year, much better than the numbers show. If the Ducks had just above average goaltending this year, we'd be talking about if they had a chance to win the lottery. The rest of it, a lot of the bad stats comes from the first half of the season. The Ducks lost so many players to injury this year, it's hard to get shot attempts when your top 2 centers are Grant and Vermette and you have Bieksa and/or Beauchemin in your top 4.

This goes right with the stats as well. Of goalies with at least 700 minutes played, Miller and Gibson are both top-10 in 5v5 SV% - 5v5 xSV% and at all situations they're top-10 in both of those stats as well

Reactions: lwvs84

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
This goes right with the stats as well. Of goalies with at least 700 minutes played, Miller and Gibson are both top-10 in 5v5 SV% - 5v5 xSV% and at all situations they're top-10 in both of those stats as well

Both goalies were amazing this year. I can't count the times I thought the other team scored but one of them came up with a save. If Gibson played like he did last year (not to say he was terrible or anything), this team would be enjoying the nice weather on the golf course right now. And Miller was great most of the time when needed.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013

The Ducks have always looked bad according to advanced stats. I think it has most to do with the fact that we play a puck cycling style. We consistently get the puck deep and cycle it instead of just generating shots head on. Shot metric based stats will often look misleading for a team like us.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I surprised to see how much love the Ducks are getting. They seemed to be a team that made playoffs mostly because of their goaltending.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I surprised to see how much love the Ducks are getting. They seemed to be a team that made playoffs mostly because of their goaltending.
We did make the playoffs because of goaltending... but we also had to battle a lot of injuries. Anaheim is prob the hardest team to judge coming into the playoffs , because they really only looked solid the last few weeks. Before that they were very hot and cold, a lot of that due to injuries, constant line up changes.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I don't even understand where the argument is that Demelo is better defensively. He's been getting destroyed these last stretch of games. I honestly feel that people think Demelo > Heed defensively just because of their size.
I can confidently say that if he wasn't in the line-up this latest stretch, the Sharks would have home-ice right now. It's only going to get worse in the playoffs.

Not to mention having Heed over Demelo is a no-brainer, but not having Ryan over Demelo is just plain idiotic by Deboer.

I think people romanticize around Heed. His lack of footspeed/positioning has been exploited on a couple of occasions and I don't think the coaching staff trusts him defensively. If memory serves it was right after he got walked by Virtanen on that end to end goal that he got banished to the press box (see the YouTube video of you need a reminder of how bad that was).

It is a bit telling that on one hand you confidently claim that playing Demelo during crunch time was the difference in having home ice, but on the other call the coaching staff idiotic for not playing a rookie on his off side based on conviction with no reasonable basis that would have been better.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I think people romanticize around Heed. His lack of footspeed/positioning has been exploited on a couple of occasions and I don't think the coaching staff trusts him defensively. If memory serves it was right after he got walked by Virtanen on that end to end goal that he got banished to the press box (see the YouTube video of you need a reminder of how bad that was).

It is a bit telling that on one hand you confidently claim that playing Demelo during crunch time was the difference in having home ice, but on the other call the coaching staff idiotic for not playing a rookie on his off side based on conviction with no reasonable basis that would have been better.

It's telling how you mentioned that one play by Heed, when there were a ton of plays where Demelo has been slow or fumbled the puck that led to them being hemmed in the d-zone for an extended shift this recent stretch. Or his giveaway that directly lead to Minnesota's OT goal earlier in the season. Or his poor positioning on the first 3 goals of the latest Minnesota game. Yet, unlike Heed, for some ridiculous reason, he isn't being benched for them.

Even if there was a difference between Heed and Demelo defensively (there isn't none), what Heed brings in puck movement and offense more than makes up whatever difference you might think their defensive skill is.
Ryan being on his off-side would take some adjustment (which could have been experimented these last few games of the regular season), but the fact that he does everything better than Demelo, the change would be worth it. He's also been defending on both sides fairly frequently when paired with the roaming Burns. The only real "trouble" would be keeping the puck in the zone on his off-hand, but that's an easy adjustment.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
In life, when people use terms like always, never....or one vs. tons or better at everything, they are usually being hyperbolic in order to exaggerate minor differences. Or create the illusion of differences that don't actually exist.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Thornton is not your best player. Full Stop.

You would think so considering his age, but he is definitely in the discussion and he absolutely changes the entire team structure when he is in. He helps other players do better both on his line and down the roster in easier matchups. He takes the heaviest matchups and dominates them possessionwise, generally.

He is that good of a player.

I mean he's the 1C. Having your 1C out is a big deal.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
You would think so considering his age, but he is definitely in the discussion and he absolutely changes the entire team structure when he is in. He helps other players do better both on his line and down the roster in easier matchups. He takes the heaviest matchups and dominates them possessionwise, generally.

He is that good of a player.

I mean he's the 1C. Having your 1C out is a big deal.

Agreed, and I'm responding to a suggestion that Gibson being out (or playing hurt) is not that big a deal. Gibson was our MVP and played well enough to deserve Vezina nom conversation. I got riled up that his injury was being trivialized. I know Thornton out is a massive help to Anaheim's cause.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Thornton is not your best player. Full Stop.

Please tell us who our best player is then. Its not burns, or pavs, or cooch. Sooooo.... vlassic? Hertl? Who is it?

Thornton after his 2nd knee surgery might not be our best player any more, but before it, he was still our best player, and he was getting stronger as the year went on working through his last knee surgery.

The gap might be much closer then its ever been, but no one had knocked him off the top yet.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I just realized this is E. Kane's first playoff. Congratulations.
He is super motivated too. That could be double-edged, but i fully expect he comes out flying and giving his all to make an early impact on this series

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I get that the Sharks and Ducks both hate the Kings, but how is the rivalry between Anaheim and San Jose? Do you guys hate each other or is more about respect?

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I get that the Sharks and Ducks both hate the Kings, but how is the rivalry between Anaheim and San Jose? Do you guys hate each other or is more about respect?

Hard to hate them while being undefeated against them in the playoffs... and having more Cups than them. Maybe pity is a better word.

I'm joking Sharks fans. Don't go bookmarking this and shoving it in my face after you win. I don't pity you. I hate you because you're good.

Reactions: Kariya 9

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Agreed, and I'm responding to a suggestion that Gibson being out (or playing hurt) is not that big a deal. Gibson was our MVP and played well enough to deserve Vezina nom conversation. I got riled up that his injury was being trivialized. I know Thornton out is a massive help to Anaheim's cause.

I understand you being put off by the suggestion that Gibson isn't that important to the Ducks but I think you were missing that it was also partially a self-deprecating statement concerning the Sharks and how badly we play against back up goalies in general and Miller specifically. IMO it was probably more a dig at us than at Gibson or his importance to the Ducks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad