GDT: WCQ Game #1 | Detroit Red Wings @ Anaheim Ducks | 10:30 PM EST | FS-D / NBCSN / TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

Phoenix 2010?

Not even close.

The Wings outplayed the Yotes. The Yotes played well. But the Wings were better.

Howard barely outplayed Bryzgalov that series. And most Wings fans understand how poorly Bryzgalov played against us

RedWingsNow*

The Wings did not drastically outplay the Yotes in that series. Not even close.

So you're hanging your cowboy hat on a 7 game series during which Jimmy gave up 4 or more goals in 3 games.

BRAVO to the playoff warrior!:laugh:

Red Wings outshot Phx by 37 that series. Pretty healthy advantage.

If I remember right, some Wings fans were upset that Ozzie wasn't called in.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So you're hanging your cowboy hat on a 7 game series during which Jimmy gave up 4 or more goals in 3 games.

BRAVO to the playoff warrior!:laugh:

No, I'm just disagreeing with your idea that Howard never won a series that Detroit didn't drastically outplay the opposition.

Don't make hyperbolic generalizations if you are going to get defensive when called out on them.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
To me, this is a critical aspect of what you want in a goalie -- at least the kind of goalie you make a 6-year commitment to.

That's been the criticism of every championship level goaltender... until they finally win.

This is only Howard's 4th playoffs and his career numbers are actually pretty good... better than Ed Belfour's first 4 playoffs, if that helps put some perspective on things.

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
:laugh:
This post is absurd coming from someone complaining about others' "critical thinking skills."

You're literally making things up.
You don't know who "THEY IS."

You consider anyone who criticizes as "THEY," and therefore, your criticism is ridiculously absurd.

We have some people who thought we were going to beat the Ducks. And many of them were upset because they believed the Wings didn't put forth a great effort.

We also have some people who thought the Wings were a bubbled playoff team who would probably lose in round 1.

These two groups ARE NOT the same "THEY," for the most part.

Try to not mock a post when you can't see how my statement points out the irony. Perhaps you are THEY and are a bit offended because you can't seem to grasp a simple concept.

I'll try to crayola the point for you: Some people on this board (THEY know who they are, I'm not going to quote every single person, do you expect someone to do something that tedious?)

Some talked about how the Wings would be a draft lotto team, or mediocre. IF those fans believed that, then why should they be so upset about us losing a game to the 3rd best team in the league, on their ice, after travel? By their standards the team should be considered to have over achieved.

How do you have a team you think sucks and then ***** about them losing to a team ranked higher than them. It makes no sense..... Is that a simple enough break down for you?

benusmc

Feb 11, 2008
Lottery pick? Most people had them 6-10. They came in 7 down to the last game of the year.

I'll repeat in here what I do all the time because it has started to really bother me about Wings fans.

They make up opinions or take the opinions of a tiny tiny tiny minority and then try to portray the entirety of the people they don't agree with, as having those opinions. They epitomize the straw man argument.

And learn the difference between losing due to talent, and when you're losing due to bad decisions. Players that played badly last night were capable of playing better. The line combos are capable of being better. We have better players that are sitting instead of guys like Cleary. If we were the Panthers, fine. There's not enough talent there to win. That's not the case.

I disagree, a large majority didn't think they would even make the playoffs. Go look through some of the older threads. With your we can play better statement I'm sure Ducks fans are saying the same thing. Effort wasn't the issue it was bad decisions, in my opinion. But if you haven't noticed by now it because an argument of semantics.

RedWingsNow*

That's been the criticism of every championship level goaltender... until they finally win.

This is only Howard's 4th playoffs and his career numbers are actually pretty good... better than Ed Belfour's first 4 playoffs, if that helps put some perspective on things.

I'm not asking Howard to win the cup.
I'm asking for him to win a series.

This series is an example of one Jimmy can win for Detroit.
Same with Nashville.
Same with SJ (x2).

He's not done it.

Detroit has to outplay their opponents to win.

IMO, a $5M a year goalie needs to come up big every once in awhile in the post season.

Until Jimmy proves otherwise, he's a goalie who's just good enough to lose, in my book.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How do you have a team you think sucks and then ***** about them losing to a team ranked higher than them. It makes no sense..... Is that a simple enough break down for you?

I think lots of the more jaded fans got their hopes up with the Wings play going into the playoffs. ;)

But hey, better to have loved and lost than to lead a horse to water. That's how the saying goes, right?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Until Jimmy proves otherwise, he's a goalie who's just good enough to lose, in my book.

Like I said, that was the same knock on Belfour until he won on a stacked team. People questioned if he was even the answer for Dallas, given his playoff failures.

Jimmy isn't Belfour, but it's important to keep in mind that Jimmy can't score goals and that's been a pretty big problem for the Wings in recent playoffs.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I disagree, a large majority didn't think they would even make the playoffs.

Really. A "large majority."

Hahaha. It's always incredible to me what people can delude themselves into believing. You actually think not just a majority, but a "large majority" of the people here thought the Wings would miss entirely.

RedWingsNow*

Try to not mock a post when you can't see how my statement points out the irony. Perhaps you are THEY and are a bit offended because you can't seem to grasp a simple concept.

I'll try to crayola the point for you: Some people on this board (THEY know who they are, I'm not going to quote every single person, do you expect someone to do something that tedious?)

Some talked about how the Wings would be a draft lotto team, or mediocre. IF those fans believed that, then why should they be so upset about us losing a game to the 3rd best team in the league, on their ice, after travel? By their standards the team should be considered to have over achieved.

Am I complaining they lost last night? I predicted they'd lose in 5, I think. I don't think they played bad last night. Both teams got a garbage goal. They got a goal from a sniper. We don't have a sniper. They're goalie stopped our shots. Our goalie didn't.

Once again, you're TREATING all CRITICISMS like they come from the same people

They don't.

Flowah called you on it.
And so did I.

So don't get all high and mighty about "critical thinking" while posting rubbish like that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Hahaha. It's always incredible to me what people can delude themselves into believing. You actually think not just a majority, but a "large majority" of the people here thought the Wings would miss entirely.

Yeah, most didn't believe they'd miss. But most thought they'd be a bubble team. So most people weren't going to be surprised if they missed, but perhaps didn't expect them to miss.

Regardless, negative impressions stick in the brain longer. That's where a lot of that generalization comes from.

RedWingsNow*

Like I've been saying -- PEOPLE are literally making up ********, ascribing that BS to "THEY" or "PEOPLE" or "LARGE MAJORITY" -- and then slamming fictional people for fake opinions:laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Like I've been saying -- PEOPLE are literally making up ********, ascribing that BS to "THEY" or "PEOPLE" or "LARGE MAJORITY" -- and then slamming fictional people for fake opinions:laugh:

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a pretty "small minority" of folks doing this. ;)

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Oh stop trying to be clever
The offense always counts.

But Jimmy Howard has never won a playoff series where we didn't drastically outplay the other team.

If you don't want to see this and acknowledge that, fine.

To me, this is a critical aspect of what you want in a goalie -- at least the kind of goalie you make a 6-year commitment to.

I guess I don't understand your point then. Would it be nice if Jimmy stole a series we had no business winning? Of course it would. Is he a bad goalie if he doesn't? No, and clearly you don't think this is the case either. So what's left? You just don't like his 6 years? Is there another goalie we could realistically have in his place for the same contract who WOULD steal a series that he couldn't? Or would you just keep everything the same but shave a year or two off his contract? Or is the important thing to you simply that you think people should praise Jimmy a little less than they do? Do you just want us to stop saying how great Jimmy played every time he loses a game that he played well in, but could have conceivably stole?

To summarize: What's your point?

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
I disagree, a large majority didn't think they would even make the playoffs. Go look through some of the older threads.

meh.....
i am the most pessimistic guys around here i guess. but even i didnt expect the wings to fail the playoffs.
so how can the majority think that?
if you ask me they can fire holland and all player but howard, datsyuk and zetta. but i would never expect a team with this 3 guys in to miss the playoffs. would mean there are 8 better teams in the west (east next year). so tell me 8 teams with a better goalie and nr1 and nr2 center. i dont see many team in the league. so no playoff fail for us as.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
To summarize: What's your point?

There's a few folks who have very consistently beat the drum that Howard can't get it done in the playoffs, and subsequently, does not deserve to be signed long term.

How you view that situation depends entirely if you think the Wings have done anything to help him at all.

I'm of the opinion he's not a Lundqvist, but hey, he's good enough if the team can actually score more than 1 goal.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Howard played good, the rest of the team did not. 5 even strength shots in the first two periods is not going to cut it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Howard played good, the rest of the team did not. 5 even strength shots in the first two periods is not going to cut it.

Pretty much. Best case scenario Howard pushes the game to overtime but they still have to find a way to consistently generate more offense. The Ducks, when on attack, had better chances and the score ultimately reflected that.

This was my biggest fear going into the playoffs: lack of offense. And I'm not sure there's a way to fix it for the time being.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Everyone else is critical of how the Wings weren't scoring goals or moving the puck well. I come on here and find that some people are complaining that Jimmy Howard didn't get a shutout and thus is not clutch or whatever BS this is. I'll let you in on a little secret: If you don't score more than one goal a game, chances are you'll never win a playoff series even if Patrick Roy was your goaltender.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
All you need to do is look at our record during April to see we are not a good hockey team. We beat ONE playoff team in April: the LA Kings on April 24th.

We only had 3 wins against playoff teams in March.

All told 10 of our 24 wins came against playoff-caliber teams. We had our worst home record since the Dead Wings era.

The roster just isn't where it needs to be in order to compete with the best teams in the league. We will need Jimmy to stand on his head to have any shot at being competitive in this series.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

If they were slamming fictional people it'd be one thing.

They actually think some of the real people here believe that crap.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
All you need to do is look at our record during April to see we are not a good hockey team. We beat ONE playoff team in April: the LA Kings on April 24th.

We only had 3 wins against playoff teams in March.

All told 10 of our 24 wins came against playoff-caliber teams. We had our worst home record since the Dead Wings era.

The roster just isn't where it needs to be in order to compete with the best teams in the league. We will need Jimmy to stand on his head to have any shot at being competitive in this series.
iirc, that win vs LAK was LAK's 2nd game in less than 24 hours.

i don't think tougher opposition was the only reason for mediocrity in game 1, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad