GDT: WCF Game 5 | NOON!?!?! | vs STL | 12:00 PM PST | NBC KFOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Head shots are officially legal. Although it wasn't much more than a glancing blow but come on. These hits aren't even being penalized. How are players and fans supposed to expect anything from player safety in this league

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just finished watching (DVR)... pretty much what I expected from a noon game. Injuries didn't help.

I won't be watching a second of a STL/BOS final... SJ definitely isn't going. Not after the bull**** today... Losers gonna lose.

I'm starting to feel the same way actually. If the Sharks are eliminated I think my Hockey season is over. Besides, the Warriors are going to be in the finals so maybe I watch the NBA Finals this year.

Jan Smite

May 7, 2019
I think the turning point yesterday was the 2nd goal, the life was sucked out of Sharks after they realized Jones just gave a free goal to Blues.

Until then it was very close and Sharks hit the post at least 2 times. After 0-2 it kind of went stale. It's a shame how Blues got those two goals (Karlsson screened for no reason and Jones just gave the puck to Blues). I still think if Kane's first shot had gone in and not hit the crossbar we'd seen a totally different game.

Reactions: ISharkted and Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So everyone was ready to give the Sharks an * if they won the SC. Do the Blues get an * too if they win the cup? Certainly should given how many non-calls he have seen for hits that have resulted in injuries.

Reactions: Phu

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012

remember when body contact didn't matter?

And now it does

and when a Sharks hit's someone, it won't again

and when we get hit, it will.

Edit: this quote is my favorite part of this hit. I agree Torres is a POS...

"Rather than hit Stoll through the core of his body, Torres takes a route that makes Stoll's head the principal point of contact," Shanahan said in his explanatory video.
"Although we'd agree that Torres might have made initial contact with Stoll's shoulder, that is a glancing blow," he added. "In fact, the head is the principal point of contact."

You're telling me that a blind side hit to a player without the puck is ok because he made contact with the body despite the fact the contact is shoulder to head? Great, let's ignore the Hertl hit. the Braun hit is even more egregious and it's literally a glancing blow with mainly head contact.

Last edited:

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
So everyone was ready to give the Sharks an * if they won the SC. Do the Blues get an * too if they win the cup? Certainly should given how many non-calls he have seen for hits that have resulted in injuries.
Lol that’s funny. I don’t hear much about the Colorado offside but the Vegas one is still being talked about. Prob cuz Vegas is new and good and had a bunch of bandwagoners not to mention they’re arrogant since they benefited from literally every call last year and rode that to the finals. I hate that f***ing team. Anyways back to current events- hope sharks bounce back tomorrow vs blues, blow outs can do that I was happy it wasn’t a 3-1 final I’m happy St. Louis piled it on and threw greasy headshots and got away completely Scott free for it. Hopefully that woke the sleeping giant. Blues and the world think that it’s over bar none, 0% chance. If hertl can play I think there’s a chance

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Damn. No one thinks that its weird that they're not reviewing any hit against a Shark? No national writers or people at NBC?
It's extremely weird and has been all season. Someone needs to do a compilation at the end of the season.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Lol that’s funny. I don’t hear much about the Colorado offside but the Vegas one is still being talked about. Prob cuz Vegas is new and good and had a bunch of bandwagoners not to mention they’re arrogant since they benefited from literally every call last year and rode that to the finals. I hate that ****ing team. Anyways back to current events- hope sharks bounce back tomorrow vs blues, blow outs can do that I was happy it wasn’t a 3-1 final I’m happy St. Louis piled it on and threw greasy headshots and got away completely Scott free for it. Hopefully that woke the sleeping giant. Blues and the world think that it’s over bar none, 0% chance. If hertl can play I think there’s a chance
We have played 5 elimination games so far. Its not exactly new territory for us. I expect us to come out playing well tomorrow but we need to score early and get some lucky bounces. Plus we need the refs to do their jobs instead of swallowing their whistles.

Naki

Oct 8, 2009
Damn. No one thinks that its weird that they're not reviewing any hit against a Shark? No national writers or people at NBC?
Nope.
They painted themselves into a corner crying for Vegas and Colorado because of "bad" calls. Now they can't call out a lack of regard for player safety on behalf of San Jose without looking nlike hypocrites.
The most amusing part is that a San Jose vs Boston final is the best ratings option for NBC and their commentators help create a situation that might prevent that due to their hot takes and crying.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

remember when body contact didn't matter?

And now it does

and when a Sharks hit's someone, it won't again

and when we get hit, it will.

Edit: this quote is my favorite part of this hit. I agree Torres is a POS...

"Rather than hit Stoll through the core of his body, Torres takes a route that makes Stoll's head the principal point of contact," Shanahan said in his explanatory video.
"Although we'd agree that Torres might have made initial contact with Stoll's shoulder, that is a glancing blow," he added. "In fact, the head is the principal point of contact."

You're telling me that a blind side hit to a player without the puck is ok because he made contact with the body despite the fact the contact is shoulder to head? Great, let's ignore the Hertl hit. the Braun hit is even more egregious and it's literally a glancing blow with mainly head contact.

I do think that Torres deserved all the suspensions he got but that one and the one that ended his career were kinda borderline just like the ones we've seen this series. If that Blais one was done by Torres, he'd be done for the year.

Reactions: stator and Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Nope.
They painted themselves into a corner crying for Vegas and Colorado because of "bad" calls. Now they can't call out a lack of regard for player safety on behalf of San Jose without looking nlike hypocrites.
The most amusing part is that a San Jose vs Boston final is the best ratings option for NBC and their commentators help create a situation that might prevent that due to their hot takes and crying.
The league had a chance to make a responsible statement by emphasizing that no matter the call on the ice it's up to the teams to determine the outcome to the extent it is in their control. But instead they suddenly decided not to stand behind their own officials.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I do think that Torres deserved all the suspensions he got but that one and the one that ended his career were kinda borderline just like the ones we've seen this series. If that Blais one was done by Torres, he'd be done for the year.
This is no defense of Torres btw, I think it was a bad hit and should have been suspended as it was (although I think the logic was a stretch and it was 70% reputation).

But for the league to use that justification to suspend Torres then ignore the hit on Braun whcih was WORSE than the hit on Hertl is comical. The Blues are right, there are two different rule books, the issue is the refs missed a handpass because they didnt see it and followed the rules from that point forward (no review). The league, in this case, is flat out ignoring head contact where they have precedent from previous suspensions to Sharks players for very similar hits.

You cant suspend Torres because he only made some shoulder contact and hit the head but then ignore Braun getting absolutely blasted with a little body contact first or Hertl getting spun around after some shoulder contact on a blindside hit without the puck.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I think the turning point yesterday was the 2nd goal, the life was sucked out of Sharks after they realized Jones just gave a free goal to Blues.

I think that was the coup de gras, but the original turning point was the failure of the PP team in the first period. Thank you, Spott.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Prob cuz Vegas is new

That's the reason why. NHL hockey in deserts don't do good, and tend to drag down the league with issues. Worse than the Sharks TV contract.

The league was doing everything they can to prevent that doom, including having a cup contending team right from the start.

Las Vegas' economy is very much affected by recessions, and the league hopes the team would be an established champion before the next big recession.

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
Of course. Watch it again, it really is all body, if by body you mean head only.

I think the Pavelski hit by Petro was high either by elbow or butt end of the stick but if you watch the video you just posted, the only thing I see move is his right shoulder. I see no movement of his head.

Also, Deboer should have dressed 7 D against us. EK probably could have given you 20 minutes if it was spaced out a little bit.

Edit: Just watch it again and I do see his head turned to the right so I would say he caught his jaw.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I think the Pavelski hit by Petro was high either by elbow or butt end of the stick but if you watch the video you just posted, the only thing I see move is his right shoulder. I see no movement of his head.

Also, Deboer should have dressed 7 D against us. EK probably could have given you 20 minutes if it was spaced out a little bit.

Edit: Just watch it again and I do see his head turned to the right so I would say he caught his jaw.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I mean, are you blind? the number on the back of his helmet shakes back and forth in a way that makes it 100% clear that his head was hit.
He edited his post and said he did see contact with the jaw.

This is much better though.

A source told ESPN that establishing that Hertl's head was the main point of contact on the hit was difficult, considering that Barbashev also connected with Hertl's arms and shoulder. There also was a question on whether the force of the hit was enough to warrant supplemental discipline, even if it might have been enough for a penalty in the game.

Source: No added discipline for Blues' Barbashev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA