GDT: WCF Game 4: Blues vs. Sharks | 7 pm CT | NBCSN | ALL HANDS ON DECK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
using the word creampuff to describe petro basically destroys any point of reading somebodys post

i guess with the ones who use it anyway, you know that in advance
Agreed. When I see it, it’s safe to assume the rest of the post will be a tire fire. So, I skip it.

CREAMPUFF
I'll start from now my Evert post with word of creampuff

Creampuff

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bendak

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Just remember that if this goes 7 games the Sharks already use their life line to win a game so we got that going for us.
no way, if this goes 7 the blues will be getting the short end of the stick. the league desperately wants ref jose in the finals and they have no problems ruining game 7s to do it.

as far as im concerned, game 6 needs to be the game we finish them off.

Last edited:

yogintheaveragebears

May 23, 2015
I always got more of a Jeff Co. “look at this GLORY BOY using his stick rather than his body!” Type vibe. But I’m born and raised South City (and live in South Boston now!) so maybe I’m biased.
I actually have to quote this just because of how true it is haha thank you sir!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
it not about hating 27, its about him not playing to the levels he is capable of and constantly making stupid decision. as captain of the team, that isnt acceptable. he should be playing lights out like 55 has. 55 has had tougher assignments too, going mostly against coulture who is the nhl leading scorer this postseason. look how many mistakes the other d make and then look how many 27 has been making. id wager that the other 5 d make less crucial mistakes combined than 27 does by himself.

for example, look how badly Kane beat 27 in the last 5 mins when we were on PP still. He let kane go right around him and get a decent shot at the net in a crucial spot in the game. this ofcourse came after g3 where he panicked twice and iced the puck with the second time being inexcusable as he had tons of space to skate it out along with steen wide open ahead of him.

You dont see that sort of stuff happen when Kings and Hawks were on the Cup runs from Doughty and Keith. Thats why 27 needs to elevate his game further and the same goes for Schenn who has been basically invisible all playoffs.

2016 vs Hawks petro is the best ive ever seen him play and thats what the Blues need. If they get that level of play from him along with 55 continuing his pronger level of play, blues win the cup easy.

+1

Maybe itse just mental thing för him playing badly and shakey like Allen. He still is playing needed level to help us, but this point how he has performed and how Parayko I would rather see Colt playing every crucial time of game as possible.

Reactions: Zamadoo and Bendak

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I've been critical of Binny's underlying mechanics for the last several days. He was a stud tonight. He was absolutely dialed in and had the ice sealed all night. I didn't love the goal against, but I had little doubt that he was was shutting the door after that. We're not losing this series if he plays like that for another 3 games.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Much of your previous analysis of Binny focuses mainly on technique while failing to address the mental attributes such as level of compete, calmness (not getting rattled by any particular goal).

I would say his positioning is generally excellent, his lateral mobility is average but that the mental side of his game is VERY strong. That all adds up to a package that is generally much more reliable than our previous starter. The lows are not nearly as low. His bounce back statistics are IMO not a fluke.

Moreover, the mental attributes I mentioned inspire and motivate his teammates. One of his former coaches said as much: namely that the guys in the room love playing for him. He drags them into the fight with his persona and compete level.

In any case, my main point is that the mental side is a huge component of goaltending and Binny has the exact mixture that is best for this team. He reminds me of the goalie battlers of the past such as Billy Smith......maybe not the most talented but the perfect guy to take to war.

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
He has been our best defenseman this post season by basically every metric.
no he hasnt. 55 has.

only argument petro supporters can say is that hes better in point production but you can attribute that too 55 hardly getting any PP time because of 27 and dunn getting those spots usually.

I would put 27 in the middle of the pack. I think Gunnar and 55 have been the best blues dmen all playoffs long.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
He has been our best defenseman this post season by basically every metric.
Who is drawing the top line assignments? Who is getting the most Dzone starts?
Who is getting the pp1 assignment?

These factors should play into your analysis.

NBC has made a strong point that Berube wants parayko on the ice against the opposing top line.

Is nbc wrong? If not, what does that tell you about Chief’s thoughts?

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
I finally watch the game and read the thread. If I read the thread first I would swear the Blues lost. Parayko is doing great but everyone on the Blues has made errors that generated good opportunities for the Sharks so far this series. As a fan, try to remember that the other team has great players and they are trying to win the game as well.

Sharks fans are complaining about Karlsson, Hertl, Meier, and even Couture because of their play this series. “Is Hertl even playing”, “Meier is so weak on his stick and missed empty net”, “Karlsson is worthless if he is not scoring”, “We need Couture to do better if we will win the series. He has disappeared the last two games.”

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
just like benn and company disappearing, did they give up or did they run into Jbo/parayko? same as when our players do some borderline bad things that get taken advantage of. note, i am NOT saying there arent unforced errors, but a lot of the turnovers have been the result of the sharks being a good team

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
On reflection we played a good D game last night (obvious from the score).

I think what has thrown folks is that game 3 was all about offense. Last night in game 4 it was all about defense.

My major complaint about our play last night was that they took their foot off the gas in the 2nd, missed a chance to push out to a 3 goal lead, and then we got down to the last few minutes of the 3rd with a one goal lead and we started seeing icings, missed empty nets, etc. I started to have game 3 flashbacks...oh god, not again....

The Sharks are one of those teams that can come back very quickly. And they seem to have a tremendous amount of puck luck. Much of that due to good positioning....being in the right spot to knock in a lucky bounce...or hand pass...

Reactions: Zamadoo and Bendak

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Parayko is the Blues best defenseman. He’s not far and above Pietrangelo but he’s the better overall player.

What sucks is the left side isn’t near what the right side is. Dunn is a Shattenkirk clone in some ways although he’s a better skater and willing to be more physical. He’s not as good offensively but they both can be liabilities in their own zone.

Edmundson has regressed this year and no doubt cost himself money on his next contract. He makes more mental mistakes in the D zone than any other D.

Gunnarsson is actually a steady D on the left side but he can never stay healthy.

Bouwmeester is aging but somewhat found his game again this year. He is what he is. He’s never going to give you much offense but for the most part gives you a steady presence on the D side of the puck.

The Blues simply have 4 LD that should never be playing top line minutes. Unfortunately there’s no other option.

I just hope the Blues win this in 6. This Sharks team is good but it’s certainly nothing spectacular.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I thought they played fine last night. We generally did a great job at keeping SJ in the perimeter in our d-zone. SJ really started to get things going in the second and third - but we can’t be expected to dominate every game; SJ has too many weapons to keep them at bay the whole game. But even still, the Blues mostly kept them to the perimeter.

Last night was a huge game - the type of game the Blues would have lost in the past - what a gutsy performance to keep their emotions in check after game 3.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Oh yeah, and after watching Parayko these playoffs, I think of John Malkovich in Rounders saying “pay the man his money.” He’s been astounding in the d-zone.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Oh yeah, and after watching Parayko these playoffs, I think of John Malkovich in Rounders saying “pay the man his money.” He’s been astounding in the d-zone.

I think he has been our best player this post-season overall, outside of maaaaybe Schwartz. I cannot imagine how much of a he’ll draw he must be for opponents top lines.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Who is drawing the top line assignments? Who is getting the most Dzone starts?
Who is getting the pp1 assignment?

These factors should play into your analysis.

NBC has made a strong point that Berube wants parayko on the ice against the opposing top line.

Is nbc wrong? If not, what does that tell you about Chief’s thoughts?

It tells us that the Blues are finally in a much better position now that we can have Pietrangelo take more favorable ice time and a more offensive role. We've seen Pietrangelo in the defensive role and he out performed Parayko there too. It's obviously better for Pietrangelo's numbers to have better matchups and better zone starts, but he gets them because he's our best two way defenseman by a country mile. Parayko has been great in our end, but he hasn't been effective at driving the offense forward. Starts (Their QoC is .2 apart with Parayko having a higher QoT these playoffs) obviously play into this, but Pietrangelo was also better when he was the man in that position too. Pietrangelo has obviously been encouraged to take more risks and join the play more by the coaching staff because it makes the team better when he does. I don't want it to sound like I'm ragging on Parayko because he's done exactly what we need him to, but let's not pretend that he can do it all yet.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
I finally watch the game and read the thread. If I read the thread first I would swear the Blues lost. Parayko is doing great but everyone on the Blues has made errors that generated good opportunities for the Sharks so far this series. As a fan, try to remember that the other team has great players and they are trying to win the game as well.

Sharks fans are complaining about Karlsson, Hertl, Meier, and even Couture because of their play this series. “Is Hertl even playing”, “Meier is so weak on his stick and missed empty net”, “Karlsson is worthless if he is not scoring”, “We need Couture to do better if we will win the series. He has disappeared the last two games.”

They should be complaining about Kane because that dude is invisible. Carries the puck in on the boards and loses it or just puts a shit shot on net and thats it

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
Gritty win last night. Binnington scares me in net sometimes, feels like he overcommits way to often kind of like how Allen does where Allen has to make a highlight reel save to save his ass. But anyways, he played great that's just me being bitchy.

We played pretty bad after the first but still pulled out the W. These are the types of wins you need to get sometimes in order to get the cup, games you shouldn't win but still do. Feels good to get one back. Let's go boys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad