Pre-Game Talk: WCF: Anaheim Ducks vs Chicago Blackhawks Part II - GAME SEVEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Other thread was approaching the limit. Continue discussion here.

Game 4 - Saturday, 5/23 @ 7:00 PM
Game 5 - Monday, 5/25 @ 8:00 PM
Game 6 - Wednesday, 5/27 @ 7:00 PM
Game 7 - Saturday, 5/30 @ 7:00 PM

Last edited:

BobbleHeadNight*

I mean holy ****, I know you love him IB, but he isn't infallible.

I never said I love him or he's infallible. Weak straw man.

I react to the "fire Q, Q sucks, Q is an idiot, they win in spite of Q" nonsense. I dismiss that out of hand as the rantings of self-important fans whose nights were ruined because their hockey team lost a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U

I react to the "fire Q, Q sucks, Q is an idiot, they win in spite of Q" nonsense. I dismiss that out of hand as the rantings of self-important, butt hurt fans whose nights were ruined because their hockey team lost a game.

Are you still denying that it was an awful coaching decision? Because if so, you are very wrong.

The beat writers (and any posters that hold the same view as you for whatever reason) that say we didn't lose the game because of a lack of TT and Vermette are completely wrong; the bottom six was on a roll and was giving us our only consistent production, and Q decided to mess it up and ruin our center depth. That's a straight up bad coaching decision that everyone has a right to be pissed off about.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
I still can believe a team sporting Beauchemin as their number 1 defenseman have completed neutered the Hawks offense.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I still can believe a team sporting Beauchemin as their number 1 defenseman have completed neutered the Hawks offense.

Ya it's pretty baffling. But it's not just 1 guy. Kesler seems to get under Toews skin for whatever reason. Hossa, Saad, Sharp, and Bickell can't seem to muster up anything, and Kane seems to be floating (in the first 2 games anyway)

Not sure what's going on there, but if they want another Cup as badly as they say they do, they have to start stepping up their game and better the opps or this will be over before we know it. The Hawks will not win a series with Kane, Hossa, Toews, Sharp, Bickell, and Saad scoring 2 goals total.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City

I react to the "fire Q, Q sucks, Q is an idiot, they win in spite of Q" nonsense. I dismiss that out of hand as the rantings of self-important, butt hurt fans whose nights were ruined because their hockey team lost a game.

Sure thing dude. While all of us are discussing decisions he makes you are discussing us.

Hot take in the second paragraph though.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I still believe this team has the talent to defeat the talent on the Ducks.

However, I'm becoming less convinced that this team's talent is strong enough to overcome BOTH the talent on the Ducks AND the man behind their bench.

Step 1 would ideally be putting their best players out on the ice every night, but apparently not even something that simple is a gimme.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I react to the "fire Q, Q sucks, Q is an idiot, they win in spite of Q" nonsense. I dismiss that out of hand as the rantings of self-important fans whose nights were ruined because their hockey team lost a game.

Q was an idiot last night. Yes or no?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

They're not, really.

Andersen is the bigger issue. Blackhawks are getting plenty of good chances, they're just not burying them.

But on the other hand, this Blackhawks team has had stretches where they struggled to score all season. So it's not completely out of character this year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
They're not, really.

Andersen is the bigger issue. Blackhawks are getting plenty of good chances, they're just not burying them.

But on the other hand, this Blackhawks team has had stretches where they struggled to score all season. So it's not completely out of character this year.

Plenty of good chances? I didn';t see last nights game, but the stats picture doesn't show plenty of good chances.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL

Are you serious? The outrage for Q's horrible roster management is warranted, no matter how butt hurt or self important you think we are. What pisses people off the most is that this isn't the first time Q's decisions have defied all rational thought.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
As hawkaholic said in the previous thread:
At the end of the day, you can complain about Q putting 3rd and 4th line players in and out of the lineup all you want, and with good reason. But as long as Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp,and Saad continue to not score, this team isn't winning anything no matter who is in the lineup on the lower lines.

I get that the Ducks aren't a bunch of pantywaists like Edmonton, Phoenix, or Buffalo, so it's completely not out of the realm of possibility that their top shutdown lines can nullify our top offensive lines...

But the problem comes when you have a 2010/2013-esque 4th line that was blown apart for no good goddamned reason. I could deal with Sharp being completely milquetoast last game saddled with ballast like Nordstrom and Versteeg, but that still gives you 3 lines that cancel out/perform against the Ducks--if you keep Shaw/Kruger/Dejardins together.

Q also had the means, motive, and opportunity to renuite that line in the 3rd when everything was on it's way to hell in a late-model handbasket. He didn't. He kept lines 3 and 4 as effective as an epilleptic manatee on the ice, thus giving Budreau ample opportunity to completely shut down the only 2 good lines we had.

It's not so much the Budreau outcoached Q, Q outcoached himself. The only positive (besdies Cumiskey being pretty okay) of all this--and it's more of a Magic Johnson positive, is that Q's boneheaded roster moves, unlike game 7 last year didn't (as yet) cost us the series.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Plenty of good chances? I didn';t see last nights game, but the stats picture doesn't show plenty of good chances.

I meant over the series as a whole, not only last night.

Last night neither team was generating a whole lot, as you can see from the expected goal totals at the bottom.

Both team's looked exhausted.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I meant over the series as a whole, not only last night.

Last night neither team was generating a whole lot, as you can see from the expected goal totals at the bottom.

Both team's looked exhausted.

It's not pretty for the other 2 games either.

This chart is for Game 2, basically 2 games...

This is Game 1

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
They're not, really.

It's deeper than that. The Ducks are crashing the net and getting screens in. Aside from Shaw (and to quote Strother Martin) the 'hawks last night played like, "a buncha goddamned p***ies!!!!!!"

Even a blind man can see what's needed to score in this seires--traffic in front of the net and go for goals as filthy as the sediment of a septic tank. The ducks are doing so. The 'hawks last game didn't. Could Q's lineup screwup have been a factor? Maybe, but at this point it shouldn't matter what your star status is--if you don't have the puck get open or get to the front of the net.

CptnSerious

Them Intangibles
Apr 19, 2014

We'll see what happens in games 4-7. This is usually when the Hawks play their best, mostly thanks to Q finally fixing the lines to the way they should be. Hopefully it continues.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
It's not pretty for the other 2 games either.

This chart is for Game 2, basically 2 games...

This is Game 1

So in all 3 games the Blackhawks scored fewer (if only slightly in game 2 and game 3) goals than their shots/chances would suggest (expected goals), and the Ducks only did so in one game (Game 2).... not really seeing how that paints a picture of the Ducks smothering the Blackhawks chances, vs a hot goalie stopping said chances.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
but that still gives you 3 lines that cancel out/perform against the Ducks--if you keep Shaw/Kruger/Dejardins together.

But that's the problem, our top 2 lines aren't cancelling out the Ducks top 2 lines.

ANA 1st line (+4)
ANA 2nd line (0)

CHI 1st line (-3)
CHI 2nd line (-5)

Anaheims top 2 lines have been a combined +4 in the first 3 games, Chicago's have been a combined -8. That is hardly cancelling each other out.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So in all 3 games the Blackhawks scored fewer (if only slightly in game 2) goals than their shots/chances would suggest (expected goals), and the Ducks only did so in one game (Game 2).... not really seeing how that paints a picture of the Ducks smothering the Blackhawks chances, vs a hot goalie stopping said chances.

The Hawks expected goals/60mins are somewhere around 1.97 goals, and you don't see how that paints a picture of the Hawks not getting enough good scoring chances?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The Hawks expected goals/60mins are somewhere around 1.97 goals, and you don't see how that paints a picture of the Hawks not getting enough good scoring chances?

Well, when you put it that way. :laugh:

On the up-side, Anaheim's expected goals are pretty much dead even with the Blackhawks.

BobbleHeadNight*

Are you still denying that it was an awful coaching decision? Because if so, you are very wrong.

The beat writers (and any posters that hold the same view as you for whatever reason) that say we didn't lose the game because of a lack of TT and Vermette are completely wrong; the bottom six was on a roll and was giving us our only consistent production, and Q decided to mess it up and ruin our center depth. That's a straight up bad coaching decision that everyone has a right to be pissed off about.

Awful? Questionable at best. The beat writers are correct. That wasn't the sole reason they lost.

I love it when they tweet emails from the Q Derangement Syndrome crowd. Those are always good for a laugh.

:laugh:

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
Ugh woke up for work today thinking I'd be over the loss, but no. I'm still pissed. Well game 3 is a must win now IMO. I'm just glad we pulled game 2 out of our ***** or it'd be 0-3 right now and we'd all be panicking even more.

This is when the core of this team has stepped up in the past, let's see if they can do it again. Hawks offense needs to break Andersen and drop a 5 or 6 spot on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad