Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
From last thread.

Jyrki said:
But committing any other foul that the player knows to be against the rules does show integrity? Cheating is cheating. How is it better for the game if I get beat fairly on a play and then turn around and latch on to the guy to keep him from getting a scoring chance? If I'm mad at a guy can I show integrity by giving him a slash when the ref isn't looking?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for diving, I just don't understand why one form of intentional cheating is better or worse than another (except for intent to injure stuff, but that's a different ballgame).

Ethically speaking, diving looks really bad because you really don't have to do it and it's all about misleading the refs. Plenty of guys hook, trip, etc. because they've been beat and if they don't force the issue they'll get scored on; in other circumstances like interference or holding it's often about staying on the right side of the line between what's permissible or not. On the other hand, there's no reason to feign that a hit or a whack was much worse than it was other than to mislead the refs and draw a penalty. It can also be difficult to prove whether someone was really faking it or not, it's hard to tell at the heat of the moment.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
From the GDT:
What happened with Neal was ********. It's amazing the refs keep getting fooled by him and Forsberg

If you watch both plays again, you'll see that the refs weren't "fooled" in either case. Both were high sticks. Neal got hit in the jaw after the stick hit his hand and Forsberg got hit in the visor. Did they sell them? Forsberg certainly did, but the refs were not "fooled" because high sticks to the head did occur in both cases.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
man this is a fun series

no doubt gonna go 7 games. btw, what happened to fisher? did he take a skate to the face?

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
From last thread.

I get that, but it is permissible, at least at some level, from the NHL's management point of view. If they really wanted to get rid of it, they could just by enforcing the rules against it and cracking down on refs who call penalties that they don't actually see. Just look at the two plays from the end of the third period tonight. On the Forsberg play, the ref obviously didn't see a high stick since it wasn't even really that close. On the Neal play, he saw it and chose to ignore it. Neal got slashed in the arm and grabbed his face, but the ref just called a slash. I suppose it's possible he thought Neal took a two-hand slash to the face and just called a minor penalty, but I rather doubt it. On both of those plays, the players took themselves out of the play and gave up possession by diving, and they wouldn't do that if the NHL decided to crack down (unless they're stupid, which I suppose is also possible).

That said, if the league really wanted to eliminate any foul, all they have to do is enforce the rules.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
Fun to be at the game tonight- good atmosphere and missed 3 hours of raging debates on dives/dirty play/officials. I thought the better team won tonight and don't have a clue who wins the series. Ducks have done a good job of using the forechecking set up to neutralize the Preds breakout skills and have fronted the dmen to curtail their scoring. Ducks also are very effectively tying up guys in front of the net on potential rebounds.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
what is the ducks record in the playoffs when they are in a 2-2 series? it must be pretty good right?

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Ducks are just throwing everything at the wall and taking what sticks. Diving all over the place(Kesler could have easily got a diving and goalie interference penalties when he dove into Rinne) taking massive amounts of penalties and then having meltdowns when they get called on their antics. Not to mention the abusive cheapshots continuing with Manson taking out Fisher.

They figured out a winning formula to just be a dirty team with no shame and endlessly whine as a way to limit the amount of penalties that get called against them.

It's unbelievable how people will look down on the fans for saying things yet allow Getzlaf to get away with what he did in this game.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
Ducks are just throwing everything at the wall and taking what sticks. Diving all over the place(Kesler could have easily got a diving and goalie interference penalties when he dove into Rinne) taking massive amounts of penalties and then having meltdowns when they get called on their antics. Not to mention the abusive cheapshots continuing with Manson taking out Fisher.

They figured out a winning formula to just be a dirty team with no shame and endlessly whine as a way to limit the amount of penalties that get called against them.

It's unbelievable how people will look down on the fans for saying things yet allow Getzlaf to get away with what he did in this game.

Pretty sure you've been trying to overhype and jinx the Ducks all post-season, as if such a thing actually works. Starting to tease out the Ducks hatred in you a bit as we keep rolling along.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
These teams play a lot alike, they can look dominant at times, but even when they arnt doing well they still find a way to stay in the game and make things interesting

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So my brother keeps on getting into trouble at school and he explains how Getzlaf and Kesler are teaching him his actions...

Last edited:

Yemeth

Feb 3, 2013
Zagreb
Fantastic series, what I love about both teams is that the play gritty and physical as hell, but have so much skill and show it too.

The only thing I dislike in this series how much abuse both goalies must endure from the opposing team.

If my team (Anaheim) looses this series, really hope that Nashville wins the Stanley Cup this year.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
My stepmother keeps on complaining that I'm poisoning my siblings lol with hockey.

ha :laugh: Well this series is preeetty rough though so your brother has some sort of an excuse. I bet it`s super exciting for 28(29 now) other team fans but for us it is nerve wrecking love and hate fest with all of the emotion spectrum :laugh:

Also, forgot to point out:

7MqfK4K.jpg

Roland of Gilead

The Gunslinger
May 18, 2007
Dark Tower
Ducks deserved that win, no doubt about it. Both teams are playing dirty because refs are letting them to play. Love these whiners here who are saying that Ducks are the dirty team :D

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
ha :laugh: Well this series is preeetty rough though so your brother has some sort of an excuse. I bet it`s super exciting for 28(29 now) other team fans but for us it is nerve wrecking love and hate fest with all of the emotion spectrum :laugh:

Also, forgot to point out:

7MqfK4K.jpg

LOL it's funny you post that picture, my parents complain I'm poisoning him by teaching him morals that don't have to involve religion, yet they are so blinded by their own faith haha even when it's clear it doesn't work a lot of the times. (BTW nothing against people who believe, sometimes you need faith for a better future, sometimes you don't, it's all about the person).

Kant Think

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 30, 2007
Gatineau
My sons favorite players are perry kesler and marchand... am i a bad parent

Do you like Perry.....

NO I DON'T!

Do you like Marchand......

NO I DON'T!

Do you like Kesler.....

NO I DON'T!

Do you like Perry and Kesler on the SAME team.....

YUCK!

I have kids too...

(it's a kid's song btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad