Denmark: WC/season review and looking ahead for the national teams.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
[WARNING: Positivity Ahead]

I wanted a little WC review thread with a positive eye on the future.

What pleased you the most about the WC squad...which players played well...

One of the most important factors for the development and increasing popularity of hockey in our fine but slightly dull country is without a doubt our continued stay in the top division...

National sport organisations like the DIU are often mocked(Just look at the danish football organisation DBU), but I really think we need to salute the DIU on a absolutely amazing season all around.

Not only did we survive in the top division, but we are in the top division with U18 and U20 too....The only other countries with all three teams in the top division are Canada, Sweden, USA, Russia, Finland, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Slovakia....
That is really an amazing achievement, even if there is little doubt that the u20 and u18 will have a very hard time staying up next year.
And to make that even better, we can also field a womens national team that have been improving and could be good enough to compete for a olympic qualification.

I have been feeling quite positive about the future after the WC...The more we get removed from the tournament, the more I realize how many important things actually happened in regards to the future.

We fielded a one paper, very weak team....It was not my any means one of our better tournaments, but its difficult not to feel much better about the future after this tournament when you look at who performed and how young the team actually is.

Having such a "weak" roster, gave us a posibility to watch some players who would normally not make the team, against this kind of competition...and I think most of them showed that they at the very least could handle themselves.

Its not like we are fielding teens here, but we have few players over 30, and a lot of the players already have a ton of WC experience.
in
We probably got the best goaltending we ever had when you look at the two goalies as a team...Dahm was a beast but Galbraith played really well in his games too. Im far less worried about goaltending the next few years at least.

Oliver Lauridsen was just as much of a pleasure as his first WC. He seems more mobile, and performs suprisingly consistenly despite playing big minutes. We probably won't get that many more WCs from Daniel Nielsen but Oliver is only 26, so its great to know that we have him for a long time. We will probably always have issues on the blue line, but we really make good with little.

Frederik Storm, Patrick Bjorkstrand and Nicklas Hardt are all 26 or younger which is really pleasing.

We will hopefully not have to survive with a roster like this but its great to see that our depth is a little deeper than I expected.

So now its your turn:P

Anybody who has more knowledge about the u18 team who could offer more about the chances of the u18 and u20 next season...Looking at how many will be missing from the u20 makes it seem like a very long shot.

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
[WARNING: Positivity Ahead]

I wanted a little WC review thread with a positive eye on the future.

What pleased you the most about the WC squad...which players played well...

One of the most important factors for the development and increasing popularity of hockey in our fine but slightly dull country is without a doubt our continued stay in the top division...

National sport organisations like the DIU are often mocked(Just look at the danish football organisation DBU), but I really think we need to salute the DIU on a absolutely amazing season all around.

Not only did we survive in the top division, but we are in the top division with U18 and U20 too....The only other countries with all three teams in the top division are Canada, Sweden, USA, Russia, Finland, Czech Republic, Switzerland and Slovakia....
That is really an amazing achievement, even if there is little doubt that the u20 and u18 will have a very hard time staying up next year.
And to make that even better, we can also field a womens national team that have been improving and could be good enough to compete for a olympic qualification.

I have been feeling quite positive about the future after the WC...The more we get removed from the tournament, the more I realize how many important things actually happened in regards to the future.

We fielded a one paper, very weak team....It was not my any means one of our better tournaments, but its difficult not to feel much better about the future after this tournament when you look at who performed and how young the team actually is.

Having such a "weak" roster, gave us a posibility to watch some players who would normally not make the team, against this kind of competition...and I think most of them showed that they at the very least could handle themselves.

Its not like we are fielding teens here, but we have few players over 30, and a lot of the players already have a ton of WC experience.
in
We probably got the best goaltending we ever had when you look at the two goalies as a team...Dahm was a beast but Galbraith played really well in his games too. Im far less worried about goaltending the next few years at least.

Oliver Lauridsen was just as much of a pleasure as his first WC. He seems more mobile, and performs suprisingly consistenly despite playing big minutes. We probably won't get that many more WCs from Daniel Nielsen but Oliver is only 26, so its great to know that we have him for a long time. We will probably always have issues on the blue line, but we really make good with little.

Frederik Storm, Patrick Bjorkstrand and Nicklas Hardt are all 26 or younger which is really pleasing.

We will hopefully not have to survive with a roster like this but its great to see that our depth is a little deeper than I expected.

So now its your turn:P

Anybody who has more knowledge about the u18 team who could offer more about the chances of the u18 and u20 next season...Looking at how many will be missing from the u20 makes it seem like a very long shot.

As for one that only saw some of Denmark's matches I must say that the goalkeeping and defense was simply outstanding (for what names we had on the roster), whereas the forwards were not impressing offensively, but fought well defensively.
I'm still overjoyed that actually survived in the elite group and actually beat Norway....

With Galbraith and Dahm it looks really good right now, even without Frederik Andersen. This is by far the strongest top-3 in goalkeeping we have ever had. Both Galbraith and Dahm really had a break-out years this season.
Sadly Simon Nielsen's career has taken a deep plunged, but it looks fine on the talent side with George Sørensen and Thomas Lillie probably ready to take over in 5+ years time

Of the old guard left: Morten Green, Kim Staal, Daniel Nielsen.
I think this was likely Morten Green's last WC as he also now returns to Rungsted (unless we again have a roster without NA players) and perhaps also Kim Staal's (though we have thought that before).
Daniel Nielsen peaked this WC career-wise and should hopefully have many more years in him if he wants to. The defense will need a steady rock-solid veteran like him - as Jesper Duus was some years ago.

We shown we can have very disciplined well defending third-fourth lines, but we will need top lines of NHL players to really be an offensive threat.
Since the bulk of our players are under 30 it does look promising......

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I dont know if I should be contributing :laugh:

I was pleased that we made it one more year in the Elite.
But there are certain things that still annoy me and arent good enough.

But, to keep it on the positive side, I think it is VERY positive that we are getting so many players in the SHL and KHL, both for the national team, or so we might get to see those players have some success :)

We might get to see Nick Jensen in Europe soon aswell, he really needs to turn it around, and to be honest I want my organization to rid of him.

It was also very good to see Dahm perform so well, same with Gabs, so we do not have to rely on Andersen.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

But, to keep it on the positive side, I think it is VERY positive that we are getting so many players in the SHL and KHL, both for the national team, or so we might get to see those players have some success :)

We might get to see Nick Jensen in Europe soon aswell, he really needs to turn it around, and to be honest I want my organization to rid of him.

It was also very good to see Dahm perform so well, same with Gabs, so we do not have to rely on Andersen.

Off course you should and you do it anyways :laugh:
What annoys you are probably the lack of offensive focus (and offensive skill level) at this WC, but I see this year as a survival year, so hopefully with a better roster we can change it for a more offensive strategy. If not then you have more reason to be annoyed.
With the lack of depth I still feel a defensive tight Swiss style of playing will give us the best results as we can never play "Swedish" as it takes high skill levels of all players. [But it is still something that probably must be done against weaker teams if we are to win these games?!]
[North American or Finnish hockey are probably simply not suited to our national psychology]
With better forwards from NHL a Czech playing style of tempo changing and counter attacking is still something I really consider could be applied for Denmark.........

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Not going to say much about WCH as I didnt watch a single game. Happy we stayed up, but thats about it. We talk all the time of how much we have evolved in the last ten years, but fails to recognise that the nations around us on the world ranking also have moved in the same direction. Some a little more, some a little less.

Overall status for our national teams are ok, but not more. Yet again the seniors failed to progress, but we was saved by the juniors which gave us a triple A status. It is going to be really hard to stay up in the topdivision next season for the U20. What a treat it would be if Jets allow Ehlers to tag along. Not going to happen, I know....

Once more we progress on delivering talent to various clubs in the top leagues in the world. We now have a handfull of players in SHL with a few more up and coming. Add to that another 4 in KHL. I would like to see Morten Madsen and Julian Jacobsen return to Sweden again, but maybe the money in Germany is just to big?

In my opinion we are at status quo compared to ten years ago and our world ranking tells the same story. Often our NA players come home to play for the NT they and disappoint. Whether it is due to a long season or the other players mentality change is a hard argue. I guess we will find out in the summer of 2016 for the OG qualification. Going against Slovenia and Belarus again is going to be tough, especially Belarus who is progressing so much more than us at the moment.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
What annoys you are probably the lack of offensive focus (and offensive skill level) at this WC, but I see this year as a survival year, so hopefully with a better roster we can change it for a more offensive strategy. If not then you have more reason to be annoyed.
With the lack of depth I still feel a defensive tight Swiss style of playing will give us the best results as we can never play "Swedish" as it takes high skill levels of all players. [But it is still something that probably must be done against weaker teams if we are to win these games?!]
[North American or Finnish hockey are probably simply not suited to our national psychology]
With better forwards from NHL a Czech playing style of tempo changing and counter attacking is still something I really consider could be applied for Denmark.........

I try not to dissapoint :laugh:

Not going to say much about WCH as I didnt watch a single game. Happy we stayed up, but thats about it. We talk all the time of how much we have evolved in the last ten years, but fails to recognise that the nations around us on the world ranking also have moved in the same direction. Some a little more, some a little less.

Overall status for our national teams are ok, but not more. Yet again the seniors failed to progress, but we was saved by the juniors which gave us a triple A status. It is going to be really hard to stay up in the topdivision next season for the U20. What a treat it would be if Jets allow Ehlers to tag along. Not going to happen, I know....

Once more we progress on delivering talent to various clubs in the top leagues in the world. We now have a handfull of players in SHL with a few more up and coming. Add to that another 4 in KHL. I would like to see Morten Madsen and Julian Jacobsen return to Sweden again, but maybe the money in Germany is just to big?

In my opinion we are at status quo compared to ten years ago and our world ranking tells the same story. Often our NA players come home to play for the NT they and disappoint. Whether it is due to a long season or the other players mentality change is a hard argue. I guess we will find out in the summer of 2016 for the OG qualification. Going against Slovenia and Belarus again is going to be tough, especially Belarus who is progressing so much more than us at the moment.

I feel the same way! But im glad you said it :laugh:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Okay I'll chip in. The memories aren't so fresh any more so the detail may be a bit blurry.

Goalies:

Patrick Galbraith and Sebastian Dahm: B+ and A

Did good. A few mistakes in solid games puts them out of the best grades, but I think they did the job good

The D-men:

Daniel Nielsen and Oliver Lauridsen: A-

They handled their bigger minutes great IMO. I've been frustrated with Oliver Lauridsen in the past because of his slow skating and his stupid penalties. This year his skating was average and I only saw one or two stupid penalties. That leaves a big, punishing D-men who can clear the crease and push the puck up the ice. What a gain.
Daniel Nielsen looks like he can never get in over his head.

Jesper B. Jensen-Emil Kristensen: B

They got out of the bigger minutes with more scratches. They don't have the same "top end"(In lack of better term) skills but are more well rounded. They're better skaters but their D-zone play left more to be desired. So they did what could be expected of them.

Mads Bødker, Nicholas B. Jensen, Markus Lauridsen: D+

I might have missed some of Bødkers worst periods. IMO he's mediocre at best but nowhere near the catastrophe my friends described him as. He's not the player he was two-three years ago. He needs to find his grove.

Markus Lauridsen was such a disappointment to me. In our zone he wasn't up to speed and made bad decisions. He wasn't the skating and passing force I reckoned with.

Nicholas B. Jensen got his spot in the history books with his wonderful goal against Norway. Other than that he was what you'd expect from a AL Bank-liga-player.

Forwards:

Morten Madsen-Julian Jakobsen-Nichlas Hardt: A-

A lot of the Danish WC were on their shoulders. And they took us through it. They did do anything spectacular but they scored important goals, played hard minutes, started a lot in their own zone and moved the game to the other end. They were sound defensively, good offensively. A lot of love form my part for the three guys - especially the wings.

Frederik Storm-Jesper Jensen-Patrick Bjørkstrand: B-

It quickly became clear that this line was an offensive line. And they created a lot of chances so that's why they're on the good end of the scale. But in their own zone lacked skill and effort IMO. They got stuck around their own net a few times. Add to that they hit a cold streak mid way and it's limited how much praise they can fetch. Got a bit better after Oliver got on the line but not enough to raise it above this grade.

Oliver Bjørkstrand: B+

Made a good impression and like Oliver Lauridsen he has some thing the others don't. In this case it's speed and skill. Lack of execution keeps him at B+.

Morten Poulsen-Morten Green-Thomas Spelling: C-

Meh. Hard working line. Wasn't as smart without the puck as I expected. Spelling didn't get the breakthrough he seemed to be poised for. But you could see where they'd get the idea.

Anders H. Poulsen: C+

I quite liked him as a fourth line center. Won some important face-offs in both ends. Worked hard and had some success with smart plays to get the pressure of.

Kim Staal + Kiril Starkov: D+

Was disappointed with how many pucks they lost in their own zone or didn't get cleared. They weren't smart. That's what you'd want from two guys on the fourth line that's been there before. They worked hard and made some offensive things happen but that only gets you so far if you leave a face off in your own zone every time you leave the ice.

Mathias Bau: D

Was in over his head. Like the above with the addition of stupid penalties. Clearly has potential but it's was a year or two to early. I'm a huge fan of him. The combination of his size, his hands and his hockey IQ make me believe this wasn't his last WC. But he just wasn't an plus for this team.

As for the next years... So many of the guys will be in new teams and leagues next year so I think it's hard to say anything qualified about that. Perhaps that it's good for the NT that Peter Regin's coming back to Europe. He'll be an huge active if he participate.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
As for one that only saw some of Denmark's matches I must say that the goalkeeping and defense was simply outstanding (for what names we had on the roster), whereas the forwards were not impressing offensively, but fought well defensively.
I'm still overjoyed that actually survived in the elite group and actually beat Norway....

With Galbraith and Dahm it looks really good right now, even without Frederik Andersen. This is by far the strongest top-3 in goalkeeping we have ever had. Both Galbraith and Dahm really had a break-out years this season.
Sadly Simon Nielsen's career has taken a deep plunged, but it looks fine on the talent side with George Sørensen and Thomas Lillie probably ready to take over in 5+ years time

Of the old guard left: Morten Green, Kim Staal, Daniel Nielsen.
I think this was likely Morten Green's last WC as he also now returns to Rungsted (unless we again have a roster without NA players) and perhaps also Kim Staal's (though we have thought that before).
Daniel Nielsen peaked this WC career-wise and should hopefully have many more years in him if he wants to. The defense will need a steady rock-solid veteran like him - as Jesper Duus was some years ago.

We shown we can have very disciplined well defending third-fourth lines, but we will need top lines of NHL players to really be an offensive threat.
Since the bulk of our players are under 30 it does look promising......

Overjoyed is a good word, because that is exactly how i feel. It cant be overstated how important it is to stay up...Not just for the the expirience that will be priceless for many of the younger guys but also as the best shopping window there is.

Im pretty confident that this was the last of both Staal and Green unless we are without nhl players next year. And I think we will be fine. There are several veterans ready to take over....

What fine servants they have been, both of them....Staal will probably always be one of my favourite players of all time, and Green has been so important, also as a vocal leader and captain.

The play of the defensive pairs were a very positive suprise, but the goalie situation was absolutely the highlight of this year. Dahm and Galbraith both still have plenty of years to give and I think Lillie has a big future.....Its nice to be able to not be nervous without Freddy.

This is really speculation but Jensens attitude seems to be a little untraditional from what we usually see from many of the danish guys...He seems to lack a little fight and has some arrogance.

He clearly doesn't lack talent, but maybe commitment. Europe might be the restart he needs. Wonder if he can realise that, or if he will be stubborn.

I feel we played the only way we could this year, in order to survive...plain and simple.

I think your expectations are too big. We wildly overperform in talent production compared to our amount of hockey players in this country.

Okay I'll chip in. The memories aren't so fresh any more so the detail may be a bit blurry.

Goalies:

Patrick Galbraith and Sebastian Dahm: B+ and A

Did good. A few mistakes in solid games puts them out of the best grades, but I think they did the job good

The D-men:

Daniel Nielsen and Oliver Lauridsen: A-

They handled their bigger minutes great IMO. I've been frustrated with Oliver Lauridsen in the past because of his slow skating and his stupid penalties. This year his skating was average and I only saw one or two stupid penalties. That leaves a big, punishing D-men who can clear the crease and push the puck up the ice. What a gain.
Daniel Nielsen looks like he can never get in over his head.

Jesper B. Jensen-Emil Kristensen: B

They got out of the bigger minutes with more scratches. They don't have the same "top end"(In lack of better term) skills but are more well rounded. They're better skaters but their D-zone play left more to be desired. So they did what could be expected of them.

Mads Bødker, Nicholas B. Jensen, Markus Lauridsen: D+

I might have missed some of Bødkers worst periods. IMO he's mediocre at best but nowhere near the catastrophe my friends described him as. He's not the player he was two-three years ago. He needs to find his grove.

Markus Lauridsen was such a disappointment to me. In our zone he wasn't up to speed and made bad decisions. He wasn't the skating and passing force I reckoned with.

Nicholas B. Jensen got his spot in the history books with his wonderful goal against Norway. Other than that he was what you'd expect from a AL Bank-liga-player.

Forwards:

Morten Madsen-Julian Jakobsen-Nichlas Hardt: A-

A lot of the Danish WC were on their shoulders. And they took us through it. They did do anything spectacular but they scored important goals, played hard minutes, started a lot in their own zone and moved the game to the other end. They were sound defensively, good offensively. A lot of love form my part for the three guys - especially the wings.

Frederik Storm-Jesper Jensen-Patrick Bjørkstrand: B-

It quickly became clear that this line was an offensive line. And they created a lot of chances so that's why they're on the good end of the scale. But in their own zone lacked skill and effort IMO. They got stuck around their own net a few times. Add to that they hit a cold streak mid way and it's limited how much praise they can fetch. Got a bit better after Oliver got on the line but not enough to raise it above this grade.

Oliver Bjørkstrand: B+

Made a good impression and like Oliver Lauridsen he has some thing the others don't. In this case it's speed and skill. Lack of execution keeps him at B+.

Morten Poulsen-Morten Green-Thomas Spelling: C-

Meh. Hard working line. Wasn't as smart without the puck as I expected. Spelling didn't get the breakthrough he seemed to be poised for. But you could see where they'd get the idea.

Anders H. Poulsen: C+

I quite liked him as a fourth line center. Won some important face-offs in both ends. Worked hard and had some success with smart plays to get the pressure of.

Kim Staal + Kiril Starkov: D+

Was disappointed with how many pucks they lost in their own zone or didn't get cleared. They weren't smart. That's what you'd want from two guys on the fourth line that's been there before. They worked hard and made some offensive things happen but that only gets you so far if you leave a face off in your own zone every time you leave the ice.

Mathias Bau: D

Was in over his head. Like the above with the addition of stupid penalties. Clearly has potential but it's was a year or two to early. I'm a huge fan of him. The combination of his size, his hands and his hockey IQ make me believe this wasn't his last WC. But he just wasn't an plus for this team.

As for the next years... So many of the guys will be in new teams and leagues next year so I think it's hard to say anything qualified about that. Perhaps that it's good for the NT that Peter Regin's coming back to Europe. He'll be an huge active if he participate.

Could not add anything. Very fair assessment...Regins return to europe will be so interesting next year. Really want to see how much is left of the old regin.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I think your expectations are too big. We wildly overperform in talent production compared to our amount of hockey players in this country.

Maybe they are, but when a country overperform in talent through a decade or more you have to wonder whether they are doing something right. Maybe we are just doing something right or in another way compared to the others? I think Boris Kulagin have had a much bigger influence on Danish hockey, when he joined Rødovre in the early 80's, than anyone have admitted. He laid the basic stones for what is now one of Denmarks biggest talent factories in hockey. Since then most of the other clubs have copied that system and we see the fruits of that in this millenium.

My point being: This is not luck or some special wonderkids. Our talentsystem is just better.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Maybe they are, but when a country overperform in talent through a decade or more you have to wonder whether they are doing something right. Maybe we are just doing something right or in another way compared to the others? I think Boris Kulagin have had a much bigger influence on Danish hockey, when he joined Rødovre in the early 80's, than anyone have admitted. He laid the basic stones for what is now one of Denmarks biggest talent factories in hockey. Since then most of the other clubs have copied that system and we see the fruits of that in this millenium.

My point being: This is not luck or some special wonderkids. Our talentsystem is just better.

Good you mention Boris Kulagin. I think his appearance mark an important turning point in mentality of Danish hockey players. What it takes training-wise to be the best! Then it spread from Rødovre to other clubs. That you as a young icehockey player has to take you training very seriously and that coaches can demand much more of you, than was normally acceptable in Danish culture of the time.....
Off course Swedish trainers were especially important for more "strategic discipline" of the National Team and it's journey up the rankings.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Didn't see this mentioned else where... Markus Lauridsen will leave the AHL and go to.... The Allsvenskan. That's perhaps a bit lower than what I expected. Hope his new team AIK and Markus Lauridsens' career recovers quickly.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Didn't see this mentioned else where... Markus Lauridsen will leave the AHL and go to.... The Allsvenskan. That's perhaps a bit lower than what I expected. Hope his new team AIK and Markus Lauridsens' career recovers quickly.

Yeah, i heard..Did not know what I should expect. Have only watched him on the national team and have to admit that I never been really impressed with him.

Allsvenskan is still pretty high level afterall....Will be nice to see how he will do in this type of hockey.
Could have been nice if he would have gone to NLA or maybe even DEL...

Oliver Lauridsen is the one im really waiting on...really wonder what will happen to him.
He is a free agent now, and I doubt there will be any nhl interest....

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Yeah, i heard..Did not know what I should expect. Have only watched him on the national team and have to admit that I never been really impressed with him.

Allsvenskan is still pretty high level afterall....Will be nice to see how he will do in this type of hockey.
Could have been nice if he would have gone to NLA or maybe even DEL...

Oliver Lauridsen is the one im really waiting on...really wonder what will happen to him.
He is a free agent now, and I doubt there will be any nhl interest....

NLA only allows a certain amount of foreigners on their teams. I doubt anyone would use one of them on a sub-level blue liner from Denmark :)

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
NLA only allows a certain amount of foreigners on their teams. I doubt anyone would use one of them on a sub-level blue liner from Denmark :)

Did not know that....:P Well....just ignore the NLA bit then:laugh:

Have anybody heard anything about Oliver?

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Off to Frölunda in SHL.

This is really becoming a great offseason for the national team! Increased presence in both the SHL and the KHL....and also other players going to higher levels than they were previously...

A lot of players got more playing time due to the lack of north american based players. nice to see it pay off like this

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
You might want to consider the notion, that the Danish players might not get much ice time in these clubs.

I'm not saying this will definitely happen. Just saying, that if they disappoint in SHL and KHL it might not be a very good thing for the NT after all.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
You might want to consider the notion, that the Danish players might not get much ice time in these clubs.

I'm not saying this will definitely happen. Just saying, that if they disappoint in SHL and KHL it might not be a very good thing for the NT after all.

Sure, that will always be a risk, but there is also the possibility for great gain. I would be disappointed if he didn't challenge himself, and the SHL is really a challenge. There might have been other leagues where he fit better but a lot depends on the role he will play on his team. Seems like they have been missing a player just like him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad