WC Ranks by Position.

CraigC

Feb 22, 2006
Burlington
I just did the Ranks for top 7 countries, let me know your thoughts.

Goalies
1. Finland
2. Canada
3. Slovakia
4. USA
5. CZE
6. Russia
7. Sweden

Defense
1. Canada
2. Russia
3. CZE
4. Slovaks
5. USA
6. Finland
7. Sweden

Left Wing
1. Russia
2. Canada
3. Slovakia
4. USA
5. Finland
6. CZE
7. Sweden

Center
1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Slovakia
4. USA
5. CZE
6. Finland
7. Sweden

Right Wing
1. Slovakia
2. Russia
3. Canada
4. USA
5. Finland
6. CZE
7. Sweden

Taking this approach to see who should be the fav. Russia could be if their goaltending does better than I think, or even with shoddy tending they have a great offense and should have a sick PP.

Canada is solid overall, lack some big name scoring however.
Slovaks are solid up front and a top 3 offense, have Chara, but not much after that on the point.

Please let me know your thoughts....

Dima_BLR

May 13, 2006
Good Old Europe
2 CraigC
For what reason Belarus, Switzerland, Latvia are not mentioned in the ranks, while Slovakia is? I don't really think that the current SVK squad is stronger than those teams. I can't understand why Team USA is so highly ranked...All I see is a strong disbalance in favour of Canada and Russia. What about Finland and Sweden? I suppose these teams should be ranked in a more respectful manner.
Of course, only time will show who is who, but I'm pretty sure your ranks just suck!

CraigC

Feb 22, 2006
Burlington
2 CraigC
For what reason Belarus, Switzerland, Latvia are not mentioned in the ranks, while Slovakia is? I don't really think that the current SVK squad is stronger than those teams. I can't understand why Team USA is so highly ranked...All I see is a strong disbalance in favour of Canada and Russia. What about Finland and Sweden? I suppose these teams should be ranked in a more respectful manner.
Of course, only time will show who is who, but I'm pretty sure your ranks just suck!

Thanks, I was looking for others opinions, you added alot to the discussion. BTW how many Demitra's-Gaboriks-Hossa's do the Swiss, latvians or Belarus have?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Defense
1. Canada
2. Russia
3. CZE
4. Slovaks
5. USA
6. Finland
7. Sweden

Russia #2?:amazed: No way.
I would rank:
1.Cze
2.Can
3.Swe
4.Svk
5.USA
6.Fin
7.Rus

ktf

May 5, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
um i have to ask why the finnish goalies are ahead of the canadian, lethenon was awful in teh playoffs, and norrenen was pretty decent this year but i give roli and cam ward both the edge ( at leats at this point, lethonen have the potential to be one fo teh best tendies in teh world and show it at times)and i dont know the third finnish goalie but due to there depth of goalies im sure hes good still
as for the other rankings they seem to be kind of bias towards us(canada) and russia, but it is a very difficult thing to speculate, for the teams are all very close and the difference between one and 7 is not very far so no oneshould be to critical, no matter how its done someone isnt gonna be happy.
as for judging on nhl talent... it is teh bets league, but there are high calibre players aroudn the world and this beign played on european ice gives them an advantage.

Dima_BLR

May 13, 2006
Good Old Europe
Thanks, I was looking for others opinions, you added alot to the discussion. BTW how many Demitra's-Gaboriks-Hossa's do the Swiss, latvians or Belarus have?
Not so many - zero I guess. However, the presence of the above-mentioned personalities (if they join the squad) is not a 100% guarantee of SVK's success, cause hockey is a team game. Slovaks might have several extremely skilled players but Can Those Superstars Play the Team Game? Besides, many NHLers feel strong discomfort playing on European size rinks where they fail to perform at their best.

A counter-question:
How many Mezin-class goalies does Slovakia (or USA) have?

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Not so many - zero I guess. However, the presence of the above-mentioned personalities (if they join the squad) is not a 100% guarantee of SVK's success, cause hockey is a team game. Slovaks might have several extremely skilled players but Can Those Superstars Play the Team Game? Besides, many NHLers feel strong discomfort playing on European size rinks where they fail to perform at their best.

A counter-question:
How many Mezin-class goalies does Slovakia (or USA) have?

Dima you seriously think that Belarus can compete with Slovakia A squad? :) Well at Worlds it would be not an A squad, but not a team you beat last year. It will be funny to see, how you 30+ y.o. D-man will try catch Gaborik.:sarcasm:

And about Mezin. Why do you think he's so great goalie? He's good for Belarus, yes, but overall he's just a good goalie in RSL, not the best.
Slovakia has Budaj, Halak, Stana, Krizhan. USA has Miller, Graham, Thomas, DiPietro.

Faktisti*

i cant believe how u gous underrate finland offence!

as great players as peltonen, m.koivu, t.ruutu, kapanen, kontiola, miettinen, lehtinen, bergenheim and all other european tops!

Faktisti*

goaltending

1. finland
2. czech
3. canada
4. usa
5. russia
6. slovak
7. sweden

defence

1. russia
2. canada
3. finland
4. sweden
5. czech
6. slovak
7. usa

offence

1. slovak
2. russia
3. czech
4. canada
5. finland
6. sweden
7. usa

Faktisti*

slovakies problem is that they have several superhyper great players like hossa, gaborik and demitra, but the overall level of the team isnt so high. one great defender and others are way from that :S

sgt Hartman

Dec 7, 2006
Moscow
goaltending

1. finland
2. czech
3. canada
4. usa
5. russia
6. slovak
7. sweden

defence