WC: May 2 GDT - Slovakia vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In the first game Slovakia had several individualistic surges toward the net get turned aside (Zednik, Palffy) and a passing line florish (Gaborik-Demitra-Hossa). The team showed some cohesiveness in the third period.

In their first game Russia had many ineffective puck-hogging surges (Yashin, Kovalchuk, Afinogenov, Ovechkin) and some moments of good passing and team play (Malkin, Kovalev, Datsyuk). The players never quite put it together and even the powerplay didn't show a unified formation of passing to and fro the point.

Litmus test time: Which group of players will put it together and gel as a team?

It'll be the game of the day, IMO.

Prediction: 3-3

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
After their poor game against Austria, the best that could happen to Russia is to get their *** kicked before it's too late. I expect Slovakia to put a less impressive defensive effort than Austria, but they'll be much more effective on offense.

4-2 Slovakia

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Go Russia but you better lose cuz I won't be able to watch the 1A - 1D game on Saturday because I'm going to a party! So I'd rather we finished 2nd! :lol:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
wilka91 said:
Go Russia but you better lose cuz I won't be able to watch the 1A - 1D game on Saturday because I'm going to a party! So I'd rather we finished 2nd! :lol:

Who cares about your party?! I have a ticket for that game and they better win today!!! Go Russia, GO! :jump:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I just hope the special teams will be up to the task. That's the key for this game!
And offcourse, no more stupidities by Sokolov like against Austria :banghead:

Prediction: 4-2, Slovakia

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
TORRUS said:
Who cares about your party?! I have a ticket for that game and they better win today!!! Go Russia, GO! :jump:

I do! There's one girl at the party, I've been in love with her for like 8 years, and I'm gonna see her for the first time in 4 years! I can't wait! :D

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Anyway, I think it's obvious that the Russians are better that the Slovaks, but is this Russian team capable of beating Slovakia today?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
wilka91 said:
Anyway, I think it's obvious that the Russians are better that the Slovaks,...
Maybe it's clear to Russians.

But there's no equivalent to a Zdeno Chara on the blueline, no line as cohesive as Gaborik-Demitra-Hossa, though there are more Palffy-type rockets on the Russian team.

...but is this Russian team capable of beating Slovakia today?
That's the question. Either team could win the tourney or just as likely go home before the medal round.

It all depends if they can pass, battle along the boards, set up down low, move pucks to and from the point, get screens and rebounds, in effect... all the things the puck hogs didn't do in the first game (I'm talking about Kovalchuk, Zednik, Afinogenov, Palffy, Yashin).

I'm really looking forward to this game as a neutral Canadian only interested in seeing good hockey, team play and many, many talented NHLers giving it their all during the drought which is the lockout.

Game on. (soon)

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
wilka91 said:
I do! There's one girl at the party, I've been in love with her for like 8 years, and I'm gonna see her for the first time in 4 years! I can't wait! :D

Good luck! ;)

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
VanIslander said:
Maybe it's clear to Russians.

But there's no equivalent to a Zdeno Chara on the blueline, no line as cohesive as Gaborik-Demitra-Hossa, though there are more Palffy-type rockets on the Russian team.

That's the question. Either team could win the tourney or just as likely go home before the medal round.

It all depends if they can pass, battle along the boards, set up down low, move pucks to and from the point, get screens and rebounds, in effect... all the things the puck hogs didn't do in the first game (I'm talking about Kovalchuk, Zednik, Afinogenov, Palffy, Yashin).

I'm really looking forward to this game as a neutral Canadian only interested in seeing good hockey, team play and many, many talented NHLers giving it their all during the drought which is the lockout.

Game on. (soon)

I tought the Canadians are not showing the game. :dunno: Are they?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Kovalchuk with Yashin and Kozlov. Fedorov with Nepryaev and Antipov - looks like checking line.

Wow!!! What a save by Sokolov. El Magnifico

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
My prediction:

Slovakia - Russia 6-1.

Russian defense will falter and Sokolov will let in a couple of softies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad