Post-Game Talk: WC- Habs show up. Bruins stuck in 2015 lose 5-1

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Exactly; I wasn't including the questions. Chara didn't come up with those statements de novo; the question was if they missed Krejci and Marchand. If anything, he turned down a chance to say, "Yeah, that's why we sucked", and put the blame on the team (which includes himself).

Self-flagellating won't help this team. And it's crazy to think that injuries/suspensions weren't a factor, but they weren't the ONLY factor. But, frankly, if you take half of the top 6 (Pasta, Krejci, Marchand) out of a lineup and force AHL callups, you're not going to be playing like a playoff team the very next game. But you should try, and that's what upsets everyone (including me) about this team.

After all, just after losing Krejci, they beat the Sens 7-3. Maybe Marchand was the Jenga brick that caused the tower to collapse, but your team's roster has to be sturdy enough to play through injury.

That presumes your team's roster is sturdy enough to play through injury when their depth is so thin removing #47, #46 or #63 (never mind the latter two simultaneously) proves overwhelming.

Kirk points out that neither Koko or Griffith played enough minutes to effect the game in negative fashion. He's right. But, I've seen enough from them over time to conclude they should not be in the Bruins plans. I would bring up Czarnik. They might as well. Boston should also play Tyler Randall more. No solution but a bit of thump in the lineup, especially in Marchand's absence.

Speaking of the latter, edge blah blah blah. Another questionable judgement in play deprived a team already down its second best center an opportunity to build something real against the Canadiens. You can't tell me the suspension didn't deflate confidence in the room.

Finally (for now :) ), Rask has to step up in a game like this, particularly without DK & Brad. Even if the play in front of him was poor, and even if a loss was likely given the circumstance, he has to be better. MTL is in Tuukka's head, and that simply can't continue. If his teammates don't believe he can beat Canadiens, that too is a problem.

In the event, as in many instances over the last ten years, the Bruins are going to have to look in the mirror, dig deep, and go to work.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Sell Erickson for a 1st plus would be my plan.Not gonna have cash to lock him up.Marchand coming year after along with Pasta.This would give Bruins 3 more 1st rd picks next draft.Pretty sure they could swing a deal then to move up high in draft to get what player they want or need most.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Sell Erickson for a 1st plus would be my plan.Not gonna have cash to lock him up.Marchand coming year after along with Pasta.This would give Bruins 3 more 1st rd picks next draft.Pretty sure they could swing a deal then to move up high in draft to get what player they want or need most.

Make it Ericsson plus, we need contract room.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
People were upset about Rene not singing the anthem but 'The Voice' winner was damn good.

[NHL]916991[/NHL]

O Canada was mangled I thought

[NHL]916990[/NHL]

Rene was great on Thursday :handclap:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
People were upset about Rene not singing the anthem but 'The Voice' winner was damn good.

[NHL]916991[/NHL]

O Canada was mangled I thought

[NHL]916990[/NHL]

Rene was great on Thursday :handclap:

Someone said it earlier perfectly (maybe in this thread): The Voice guy from Kentucky sang very, very well. I knew he would; I saw the videos. The anthem is one of his "things"; he's sang it at a University of Kentucky basketball game:

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article52768645.html

The problem isn't him; it never was him. It's the idea of corporate NBC/Universal pushing out a longstanding tradition, and bringing in someone who has no connection to Boston or to the sport of hockey. It makes 100% perfect sense for him to sing at UK. Look at this quote:

“I have always been a huge [University of Kentucky] Cats fan, so singing at this game is another dream come true,†Smith said earlier.

Now look at this:

Smith, who didn’t start following hockey until he was asked to perform in Foxboro, said he has a new favorite team.

“The Bruins,†he said. Good answer!

Points for honesty, but....they should have found someone, anyone, from Boston. Have Steven Tyler butcher it again. Have James Taylor. Dropkick Murphys (even though I actually hate them, I get that others like them). Hell, have ANOTHER contestant from The Voice - I actually watched a few random audition episodes a few years ago, and they seemed to have a lot of contestants who go through Berklee.

Every part of the entertainment provided by NBC/Universal/Unilever/Pfizer ("fun." dude, random Montreal band I'd never heard of that played TWICE) was pretty awful, with the exception of his actual voice.

I wasn't there for the WC, but I was for the Alumni game, and I do have to say that, IMO, Rene did the best job he's done in years. I don't know if it's because the sound system stinks at the Garden, or if they kept him away from the eggnog, but it was the best anthem I'd heard from him in a long time. I'm under no illusion that he's currently a great singer, but someone posted him singing a long time ago, and he was good. Plus, he's tradition.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I wasn't there for the WC, but I was for the Alumni game, and I do have to say that, IMO, Rene did the best job he's done in years. I don't know if it's because the sound system stinks at the Garden, or if they kept him away from the eggnog, but it was the best anthem I'd heard from him in a long time. I'm under no illusion that he's currently a great singer, but someone posted him singing a long time ago, and he was good. Plus, he's tradition.

I think Rene was pumped that he was allowed to sing O Canada in French which the Bruins never allowed him to do. The NHL was in charge of everything in Foxborough.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I think Rene was pumped that he was allowed to sing O Canada in French which the Bruins never allowed him to do. The NHL was in charge of everything in Foxborough.

I noticed (and enjoyed) that he sang in French; never knew the Bruins wouldn't let him sing in French. Why the hell not? Do the French/English remix for the Habs and perhaps the Sens, and English for the other 5.

Fun fact:

Number of US Bruins: 5
Number of francophone Bruins: >=2 (Bergeron, Talbot).

Number of US Habs: 8, including their captain and their current starting goaltender
Number of francophone Habs: according to a video on their site, just 1. DD.

(Also makes me wonder about the allegiance of the people I always hear chanting "USA, USA" at the Garden - are they Habs fans?)

Also, Dropkick Murphys were invited, but only as a duet with "fun." dude. Can't blame them for declining.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I noticed (and enjoyed) that he sang in French; never knew the Bruins wouldn't let him sing in French. Why the hell not? Do the French/English remix for the Habs and perhaps the Sens, and English for the other 5.

Fun fact:

Number of US Bruins: 5
Number of francophone Bruins: >=2 (Bergeron, Talbot).

Number of US Habs: 8, including their captain and their current starting goaltender
Number of francophone Habs: according to a video on their site, just 1. DD.

(Also makes me wonder about the allegiance of the people I always hear chanting "USA, USA" at the Garden - are they Habs fans?)

Also, Dropkick Murphys were invited, but only as a duet with "fun." dude. Can't blame them for declining.

I always thought we should have trolled Vancouver one game and let him sing it in French just to piss them off.

Much better anthem in French will be nice if QC gets a team and the entire thing gets sung in French through the finish and doesn't change back to English once it gets to 'God Keep our Land...'

bostonwinscup

Aug 8, 2011
WATERLOO ON CANADA
fireworks after a loss?

the winter classic was an embarrassment
for anybody that are bruins fans .
All the effort the city did the nhl
and sponcers and the bruins played
a effortless game
boston is a first class hockey city
efforts there by players ruined it all
playing in such a game is a honour
not showing up is not what bruins are made of
boys look into the mirror
shape up or move on

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
the winter classic was an embarrassment
for anybody that are bruins fans .
All the effort the city did the nhl
and sponcers and the bruins played
a effortless game
boston is a first class hockey city
efforts there by players ruined it all
playing in such a game is a honour
not showing up is not what bruins are made of
boys look into the mirror
shape up or move on
:laugh:
The WC isn't a playoff game. It's only a regular season contest with a LOT of extra gimmicky merchandising. Most hard core sports fans are watching college football that day anyway. It's not an honor to play in and the game wasn't ruined.
I'm personally upset cause the Bruins dropped 4 of the last 5. But the loss should have been expected given that trend.
The bright side is the WC jerseys should be available real cheap soon.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:laugh:
The WC isn't a playoff game. It's only a regular season contest with a LOT of extra gimmicky merchandising. Most hard core sports fans are watching college football that day anyway. It's not an honor to play in and the game wasn't ruined.
I'm personally upset cause the Bruins dropped 4 of the last 5. But the loss should have been expected given that trend.
The bright side is the WC jerseys should be available real cheap soon.

I agree with KPD - the WC has become a celebration of the sport itself. From the stands you HAD to follow play on the scoreboard but it was magical in Foxborough leading up to the came. Patriot Place was a happy place where Bruins and Habs fans mingled happily.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...less-result/zNfEXp6vQbwCkMkJW5MQAI/story.html

But there is no denying that the entire Classic event is a celebration of the sport, which is why it continues to be a fan success and huge dollar draw.

By now, hockey fans must realize they aren’t paying to see a game, but rather to be among friends on New Year’s Day and talk some hockey, live it, share it. It’s about community and friendship and swapping tales of games watched, players loved, road trips made, best nachos consumed, and all the other itsy-bitsy intersections we share when a certain sport takes root in the center of our being.

1425573_10207560947874510_8640748460811887430_n.jpg

70321_bNSB5vCfmBtqMpStI0BJdhNqXG7a-Ido9hSRCG_SyKU.jpg

12484665_10207554085062944_7745667281576351361_o.jpg

12435934_1100770886602543_802452173_n.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good photos ^^

Except for the game it was a great experience, I enjoyed it more than Fenway.

Gillette is a great venue but you have to deal with getting there and back.

Also a friend of mine who has issues with stairs had a tough time as Gillette is not ADA friendly which is shocking for a venue that opened in 2002.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not having 63, 46 and 88 is kinda like having a party without Dan, Joe and I . It's just not going to be anywhere near as good as it can eat .

Bruins are fine healthy . Still want Randall and Chiller in there .

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
OUCH

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...-down-nhl-nbc-least-watched-canadiens-bruins/

The Canadiens/Bruins NHL Winter Classic drew a 1.6 rating and 2.8 million viewers on NBC New Year’s Day, according to Nielsen fast-nationals — down 16% in ratings and 20% in viewership from Blackhawks/Capitals last year (1.9, 3.5M) and down 36% and 37%, respectively, from Maple Leafs/Red Wings in 2014 (2.5, 4.4M).

Montreal’s win ranks as the lowest rated and least-watched Winter Classic ever (dates back to 2008), falling below the previous marks set last year.

This year’s Winter Classic was just the second to involve a team based in Canada, which does not count toward U.S. television ratings. Of course, the same could be said of the 2014 Winter Classic, which involved the Maple Leafs and tied the NHL’s highest regular season rating since 1975, or of the several Canadiens/Bruins rivalry games that have posted above-average numbers for NBCSN.

It also faced tougher college football competition than last year, airing opposite the Ohio State/Notre Dame Fiesta Bowl on ESPN and Michigan/Florida in the Citrus Bowl on ABC. Final numbers for those games were not available, but the Fiesta Bowl posted a 17% increase in the overnights over last year’s comparable window.

Perhaps the biggest factor in the record low was the lopsided 5-1 score, the biggest blowout in Winter Classic history. No other game had been decided by more than two goals.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Assuming those ratings are averaged over the entire 3 periods, it makes sense. It was a boring game, and one-sided as well. Lots of viewers probably changed the channel long before it ended.
It's too bad, it should have been awesome.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Someone said it earlier perfectly (maybe in this thread): The Voice guy from Kentucky sang very, very well. I knew he would; I saw the videos. The anthem is one of his "things"; he's sang it at a University of Kentucky basketball game:

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article52768645.html

The problem isn't him; it never was him. It's the idea of corporate NBC/Universal pushing out a longstanding tradition, and bringing in someone who has no connection to Boston or to the sport of hockey. It makes 100% perfect sense for him to sing at UK. Look at this quote:

Now look at this:

Points for honesty, but....they should have found someone, anyone, from Boston. Have Steven Tyler butcher it again. Have James Taylor. Dropkick Murphys (even though I actually hate them, I get that others like them). Hell, have ANOTHER contestant from The Voice - I actually watched a few random audition episodes a few years ago, and they seemed to have a lot of contestants who go through Berklee.

Every part of the entertainment provided by NBC/Universal/Unilever/Pfizer ("fun." dude, random Montreal band I'd never heard of that played TWICE) was pretty awful, with the exception of his actual voice.

And NBC did get a band with Montreal roots to sing the Canadian anthem so it wasn't like they couldn't have tried with the US anthem.

The dude from the voice was very good, but I would have preferred some tradition or a singer with a Boston connection.

The music in general was awful-well the Pops were fine but the bands were awful and not really aimed at hockey fans-those bands would be good for college events (well not the anthem band-my young 20s girls made fine of them as an emo band that wasn't all that good from middle school years).

NBCs camera views were nausea inducing.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Also this game was horribly boring and an awful game to showcase the sport for casual fans. Bruins were missing too many key components and the players that did play were flat (Rask and Beleskey excepted).

Habs got a key component back and frankly played like they wanted it more.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Also this game was horribly boring and an awful game to showcase the sport for casual fans. Bruins were missing too many key components and the players that did play were flat (Rask and Beleskey excepted).

Habs got a key component back and frankly played like they wanted it more.

That was the worst part of being at Gillette - Montreal's play just took the crowd out of the game and we had NOTHING to cheer in the first 2 periods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad