U18: WC DivIA and DivIB

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Both tournaments start today. Could anyone find any streams?

LTU up 1-0 vs. France 10 minutres from the end.
I also could not find a stream. :/ Lithuania winning against France would be big, actual tangible evidence of the recent progress Lithuania has made in past few years.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Could be a day of huuuuge upsets as South Korea currently beating Slovenia. Though Slovenia is mounting a comeback as I type this.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So as I wrote in the other thread, after beating Italy as well we have a semi-realistic chance at the promotion, considering Slovenia's loss yesterday. Needless to say, the goal before the tournament was to stay up so this is pretty surreal.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
France was an elite division team not even a decade ago. This was their first ever game in 1B level since the adoption of the current IIHF tournament format. This is as big of an upset as they come as far as hockey is concerned.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
France was an elite division team not even a decade ago. This was their first ever game in 1B level since the adoption of the current IIHF tournament format. This is as big of an upset as they come as far as hockey is concerned.
It was a bit of a perfect storm. Clearly a strong generation of ours, probably weak-ish by French, first day of the tournament, French kids probably expected a walkover game, goalie was the difference, etc.

But legitimately outplaying Italy today was big. Win against France was lucky but these kids are for real. The Slovenia game will be close as well.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Man, I really hope we make it back to the top division, so it will be easier to find a stream again, because I am not paying that kind of money for a single tournament.

Good to see the boys on the way to a more comfortable win against Hungary than they managed yesterday against Austria.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It was a bit of a perfect storm. Clearly a strong generation of ours, probably weak-ish by French, first day of the tournament, French kids probably expected a walkover game, goalie was the difference, etc.

But legitimately outplaying Italy today was big. Win against France was lucky but these kids are for real. The Slovenia game will be close as well.
Do you know if there is a specific reason why so many LTU-youngsters are playing in Switzerland? Austria, Germany or even Finland and Sweden would be much closer.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Do you know if there is a specific reason why so many LTU-youngsters are playing in Switzerland? Austria, Germany or even Finland and Sweden would be much closer.
As far as I know, it's mostly about good living conditions and a reasonably proven track record since Emilijus Krakauskas kinda sorta made it in Switzerland which helps to build trust by both parties. But it's mostly about schooling and living arrangements. Plenty of guys leave to Sweden and Finland as well but they usually do it in their late teens while the Swiss seem to be welcoming at a very young age, some kids play there since they are 10-11, Emilijus himself moved there when he was 12.

Germany and Austria probably are not as popular due to having weaker development systems but you can find at least half a dozen kids playing of each of those as well.

Basically, since probably around 70% of our best prospects leave to play abroad you can find quite a few Lithuanians in every bigger hockey country imaginable. It's just that the best of the crop usually leave the earliest and the destination in those cases is very often Switzerland.

Reactions: Hinterland

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Slovenia quite shockingly unimpressive so far, 1-1 the score and 6-6 the shots after first against Estonia.
Well Estonia always manage to find a victim to relegate in their place. Poland is not here, so Slovenia have to do.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Estonia playing their 2nd choice goalie and it shows.

Also, Morozov-Burkov-Timofejev is supposed to be a really strong live for Estonians but boy do they not live up to the hype in this one, bodied so easily. Still good players but not a good fit to play together.

Well Estonia always manage to find a victim to relegate in their place. Poland is not here, so Slovenia have to do.
It's funny 2 games in they look as good as done to me. This magic carpet ride is over.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Denmark also lost to the Ukraine so next game vs. JPN is pretty crucial for them.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Tomorrow will also be very telling when it comes to promotion.
The winner of Germany v Ukraine will be almost through.
I'm usually told I'm too optimistic about Ukaine's chances, but now that they already have two wins in the bag this year, I'm in the opposite mood. Most of this team is playing in some unsexy random rag tag leagues and I'm sure Germany should be at least one level above Ukraine with their depth alone.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah Ukraine has no business challenging Germany in the head to head. Germans did their hard work agaist Austria.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Yeah Ukraine has no business challenging Germany in the head to head. Germans did their hard work agaist Austria.

They seem to be doing a good job of it so far.

Tied after the second period. Appears to be a close game and I wish I could watch this.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Meanwhile, in 1B, we beat Korea while Slovenians beat Italy in regulation setting up the final game of sorts on Saturday where 1 point against Slovenia would get us promoted with a minor remaining hurdle in Estonia. If Slovenians win in regulation, however, it opens up a multitude of other scenarios.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Somebody explain me how is Ukraine doing this well. Granted I looked at their roster for 2 minutes at most but needless to say I didn't see it.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Ukraine did really well, two really bad/dumb plays by Trushchenko cost them them game in the end. Lewandowski is clearly above this level for Germans.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Estonia with a very efficient performance against France right now. Or is it bad goaltending, I can't watch right now?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Estonia with a very efficient performance against France right now. Or is it bad goaltending, I can't watch right now?
France suffered from pretty bad goaltending, first goal was terrible and the 2nd pretty bad but overall, France didn't bring anything in the third while trailing, not like Estonians were lucky to escape with the win.

Dare I say, even bigger upset than the loss to Lithuania but also let's just face it, France just isn't good this year.

Reactions: Maverick41

Pan

Apr 11, 2017
Minsk
Denmark - Japan 2:2 after 2nd.
How come danish juniors are getting worse and worse over the years?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad