GDT: WC - Czechs vs GB

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It's their first game and GB has done nothing but trap to try keep it close, I wouldn't be too concerned.
I'm not.. I'm applauding it. Stuck to a system and slowly working their way through the game. This is how the good teams have beat us for years.lol

Curious how it looks tomorrow against the Swedes!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
There is patient hockey and then there is this.lol As long as we avoid you in quarters, I'll be happy! (assuming we make quarters of course)
It's their first game and GB has done nothing but trap to try keep it close, I wouldn't be too concerned.
So we couldn't score against Denmark at the Olympics... Blumel in hotel and our team looked slow... now Blumel has 2 goals and an assist.lol Future bottom 6 NHLer IMO.
Oh, I forgot to mention I watched Vyborny play several times when he was playing for the Oilers farm team in Cape Breton. It was around mid 90's

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nice goal.. hope the guy is okay! Ben Lake... really nice goal and looks okay. He smoked an NHL D and Dostal. Good for him.

Having said that.. it was a fancy behind the back pass that led to that and I think that is the shit Jalonen is trying to get away from. Stick to the system and wear them down. Something tells me Kari is pissed!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm not.. I'm applauding it. Stuck to a system and slowly working their way through the game. This is how the good teams have beat us for years.lol

I'm really looking forward to that game, should be a good one, no reason you can't beat them. Decent defense on paper for the swedes though.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Oh, I forgot to mention I watched Vyborny play several times when he was playing for the Oilers farm team in Cape Breton. It was around mid 90's
I loved Vyborny.. he was a good NHLer but he was also a big part of Rick Nash's first few years in Columbus. He was essentially Martin Straka. When he played for National Team he grew a foot and was faster... captained an underdog Czech team to a silver here against Russia. Back when we had captains that would die for us like him and Reichel.

Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm really looking forward to that game, should be a good one, no reason you can't beat them. Decent defense on paper for the swedes though.
Our best D (Hronek) would be their 4th guy.lol Big edge to them. Plus, you know, Swedes are better than us the last decade. We will see. Will need more from our NHLers who have minimal points while our 4th line carries us today. Extraliga guys are doing most our damage.. Jiricek, Flek, Blumel, Cernoch... all extraliga. Vrana/Hertl/Simon don't have much on scoresheet.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I loved Vyborny.. he was a good NHLer but he was also a big part of Rick Nash's first few years in Columbus. He was essentially Martin Straka. When he played for National Team he grew a foot and was faster... captained an underdog Czech team to a silver here against Russia. Back when we had captains that would die for us like him and Reichel.
LOL, don't talk to me about former Czech players who sometimes could be pretty normal in the NHL season but then seemed to turn into the second coming of Guy Lafleur when they played with the Czech National team, Reichel was another one of them. It used to drive me crazy in their games against Canada. I used to just sit there after watching them kill us and go................."well , where the f*** was this player 2 weeks ago?"

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Czechs have some decent shifts, but the overall display is somewhat underwhelming. Old wine in new bottles, really: no visible strategy, lack of a consistent 60min effort and quite frankly, too many sloppy plays inbetween the better shifts. Whilst this performance is sufficient to comfortably beat GBR, it will cost us dearly against better & more efficient teams. I sincerely hope that Jalonen can somehow address & fix this.

Love GBR's effort by the way!

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Smejkal with another post.. we have beat the shit out of their posts today. Smejkal is not a finisher.. god bless him as a worker though.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Clean of his knuckles (not hand)... I'd say he missed after though. No goal IMO. Shame, I'd be really happy for Cernoch!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Just saw Slovakia vs Germany is on today...

Holy hell is this a day of hockey ... Czechs vs GBR, Germany vs SLovakia... game 7 Bruins vs Canes, game 7 Leafs!... game 7 Oilers.. 9am to 2am. I will need to buy the wife flowers after ignoring my family all day.lol

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
Czechs have some decent shifts, but the overall display is somewhat underwhelming. Old wine in new bottles, really: no visible strategy, lack of a consistent 60min effort and quite frankly, too many sloppy plays inbetween the better shifts. Whilst this performance is sufficient to comfortably beat GBR, it will cost us dearly against better & more efficient teams. I sincerely hope that Jalonen can somehow address & fix this.

...and I almost forgot: unnecessary penalties.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Good job... patient and precise for the most part. Way too many leaks against as we had at least 1 post and 3 breakaways against us... Dostal played very well and I'm glad they realize our AHL goalies that are future NHL goalies are important! Players of game is Blumel AINEC.lol

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

I would not evaluate the team based on this game. GB was playing good but still the difference between both teams' players was massive on the level of individual skill. When the Czechs were playing focused hockey and showing at least decent skating, it was completely one-sided, when they lost focus, GB was able to create some offensive plays. It is often like that when some of the stronger teams is playing a significantly weaker one. Only tomorrow game vs. Sweden will show something relevant, for both CZE and SWE.

ChaiTiefling

Aug 29, 2006
Manchester, UK
Caught the third period live, pretty encouraged with what I saw given who Czechia have versus our injuries. Neilson and Waller stood out on their national team debuts, think both are going to cause problems for some teams.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

LOL, don't talk to me about former Czech players who sometimes could be pretty normal in the NHL season but then seemed to turn into the second coming of Guy Lafleur when they played with the Czech National team, Reichel was another one of them. It used to drive me crazy in their games against Canada. I used to just sit there after watching them kill us and go................."well , where the f*** was this player 2 weeks ago?"
Rucinsky and slegr were two more.lol. And an unhearelded one was older brother frantisek kaberle!

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
I would not evaluate the team based on this game. GB was playing good but still the difference between both teams' players was massive on the level of individual skill. When the Czechs were playing focused hockey and showing at least decent skating, it was completely one-sided, when they lost focus, GB was able to create some offensive plays. It is often like that when some of the stronger teams is playing a significantly weaker one. Only tomorrow game vs. Sweden will show something relevant, for both CZE and SWE.

The clear difference in individual skill in today's game was easy to spot and in that sense I fully agree with you. In fact, it is due to the several really high-skilled players in our team (Krejci, Hertl, Hronek etc.) that we're able to make the difference and elevate our game against weaker opponents whenever our collective effort is off.

However, the Czechs - and the lack of this is what worries me particularly - need to have a disciplined and well-organized collective effort if they want to beat equally strong/better teams, as those teams possess quite a number of high-skilled players too. I'm not writing off the Czechs for this tourney, but I'm slightly concerned because I didn't see any real structure in today's game. You would think that a game against the probably weakest opponent in the tournament would serve as the perfect opportunity to work on precisely those fundamental things.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yep, all those guys used to wear us out when we played them, it was maddening to me as a TC fan.

Wasn't Slegr Bublas son? I seem to remember that.
He was! But estranged or something to that affect. not sure of the story tbh. Slegr is probably my fav Czech D of all time. Shame his NHL career wasn't as stellar as I thought it could've been. He was a classic hard working 2 way D man with some offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad