Denmark: WC 2018: Denmark or Latvia

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Denmark-Latvia lost their joint bid to host the WC 2017 to Germany & France.
Incredibly enough both nations have now made a singular bid for the WC 2018. So from allies to competition.

In Danmark there have been voiced some concerns over the deficit brought on by the recent Swedish-hosted World Championship.

In my opinion the deficit was brought on by the insane high ticket prices, so hopefully they have learned their lesson.

So what do you think - good or bad idea?

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I would like to see the WC in Denmark. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to charge 50-60 dollars for hockey tickets in Denmark, even for a WC. They'll simply never sell. I haven't seen any details of the bid. So I don't know if it's already been planned where the games will be played. I assume it will be in Jyske Bank Boxen in Herning and some place in Copenhagen, though I don't think there's an arena big enough in Copenhagen that was built for hockey.

Does anyone have any idea what the ticket prices where the last time Denmark hosted a Handball WC or EC? I know we hosted one in Herning a few years back, I think it was womens. I would assume that tickets prices would need to lower, or at the very highest at the level of the tournament, since handball, especially national team handball, is much bigger than hockey in Denmark.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Does Denmark really have two arenas capable of hosting the tournament? If so, what was the motivation behind that 2017 joint bid that didn't make much sense?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Does Denmark really have two arenas capable of hosting the tournament? If so, what was the motivation behind that 2017 joint bid that didn't make much sense?

At the moment Denmark has the one in Herning, and then a Copenhagen Arena is planned. It was also part of the 2017 bid, so if it could have been build on time for 2017 it should also be for 2018 :laugh:
I think the reason for joining with Latvia was probably that it would be regarded as a stronger bid than going alone - especially being up against another joined bid.

Since only Denmark and Latvia are runners for 2018 they can go solo. The really interesting part would be if another runner joins the bid - will that make Denmark and Latvia go joint again?!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I would like to see the WC in Denmark. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to charge 50-60 dollars for hockey tickets in Denmark, even for a WC. They'll simply never sell. I haven't seen any details of the bid. So I don't know if it's already been planned where the games will be played. I assume it will be in Jyske Bank Boxen in Herning and some place in Copenhagen, though I don't think there's an arena big enough in Copenhagen that was built for hockey.

Exactly - if they raise the prices that high nobody would come. So hopefully it will be on a reasonable level. Also important is the broadcasting will be national to boost hockey popularity. If it is only showed by some obscure pay by view or satellite station, then it won't make any boost for hockey in Denmark.
What we need is prime time bombardement of the sport and hopefully people will work together towards that goal.
Because with their former scheme last year in Sweden - if they don't make money there, they certainly won't doing it like that in Denmark.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
. I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to charge 50-60 dollars for hockey tickets in Denmark, even for a WC. They'll simply never sell.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.â€
― Albert Einstein

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
At the moment Denmark has the one in Herning, and then a Copenhagen Arena is planned. It was also part of the 2017 bid, so if it could have been build on time for 2017 it should also be for 2018 :laugh:
I think the reason for joining with Latvia was probably that it would be regarded as a stronger bid than going alone - especially being up against another joined bid.

Since only Denmark and Latvia are runners for 2018 they can go solo. The really interesting part would be if another runner joins the bid - will that make Denmark and Latvia go joint again?!

Having a joint bid with a country so far away probably worked against Denmark and Latvia. In my opinion, countries who can organise it alone should do it, joint bids should be a last resort for neighbouring countries who lack arenas (I could see a tournament held in Vienna and Budapest, or Milan and Ljubljana for example).

Anyway, I don't complain as I would love to visit WCs in both Riga and Copenhagen, so everything is perfect if they get it in different years. :D

Exactly - if they raise the prices that high nobody would come. So hopefully it will be on a reasonable level. Also important is the broadcasting will be national to boost hockey popularity. If it is only showed by some obscure pay by view or satellite station, then it won't make any boost for hockey in Denmark.
What we need is prime time bombardement of the sport and hopefully people will work together towards that goal.
Because with their former scheme last year in Sweden - if they don't make money there, they certainly won't doing it like that in Denmark.

In my experience (I went to all WC since 2008), there's a lot more enthousiasm for the tournament when it is held in new places like Quebec City, Bratislava or Kosice than there was in Stockholm and Helsinki, where it was held many times already. I think this factors in as much as ticket price (for all the complains there were those last two years, tickets in 2011 cost 55€, which is huge compared to the average salary in Slovakia, and the tournament was a success).

In that regard, I think marketing would be the key component of a successfull tournament in Denmark, moreso than ticket prices.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Having a joint bid with a country so far away probably worked against Denmark and Latvia. In my opinion, countries who can organise it alone should do it, joint bids should be a last resort for neighbouring countries who lack arenas (I could see a tournament held in Vienna and Budapest, or Milan and Ljubljana for example).

Anyway, I don't complain as I would love to visit WCs in both Riga and Copenhagen, so everything is perfect if they get it in different years. :D

In my experience (I went to all WC since 2008), there's a lot more enthousiasm for the tournament when it is held in new places like Quebec City, Bratislava or Kosice than there was in Stockholm and Helsinki, where it was held many times already. I think this factors in as much as ticket price (for all the complains there were those last two years, tickets in 2011 cost 55€, which is huge compared to the average salary in Slovakia, and the tournament was a success).

In that regard, I think marketing would be the key component of a successfull tournament in Denmark, moreso than ticket prices.

The joint bid with Denmark-Latvia being apart might seem an obstacle, but distance is not that great compared with distances within big countries where games happens on a regular basis (see distances in NHL). It's about taking an airplane from one place to another.
Denmark-Latvia didn't lose the bid with that been a margin (as far as I have heard).

The problem with ticket prices is that to make people attend other matches than the home country it has to be fairly cheap. Even in Sweden, the matches without Sweden on the ice were almost without attendence.
Hockey is still very much a fringe sport in Denmark, so you have to lure people in both through commercials but also to fairly cheap ticket prices.
Very few in Denmark has actually ever attended a hockey match before. So they would be willing to cheer for Denmark, but other matches would have little interest unless it is cheap enough to give it "a try" to see what it is.
This off course would go more for Copenhagen than Herning that already have a hockey culture.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
“Two things are infinite: the universe and Kalervo Kummola stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

That's what I was thinking when I saw the tickets for Finlands game in 2012.. Around 400$ (350€).

Not kidding. Didin't buy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad