Confirmed with Link: WBS sign Barrie Colts captain and defenseman Michael Webster

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
From ohlprospects.blogspot.ca :

Michael Webster (BAR) is just a solid two-way presence who has improved a lot over his OHL career. The captain of this year's Colts' team, Webster has solid mobility, plays an intelligent game in his own end, and could continue to improve if given a chance at the next level.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Cool. Not sure if that's their intent but it may be interesting to see if he can follow Sheary's path and maybe make it as a depth guy for the Pens.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Or even Lovejoy, who was on an AHL-only deal at first as well.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I didn't know that. Even better.

Letestu was as well, seems like the Pens have had better luck with those guys than they have had with signing undrafted free agents to NHL deals. Sheary, Letestu, Lovejoy and Farnham isn't a who's who of hockey stars, but it's a pretty good haul all things considered.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Weird, I guess I assumed Letestu was on a minor league deal because he was such an unknown commodity and he started with Wheeling.

I also saw that Webster had a 10 game suspension for a check to the head. Hopefully he can play physical without being stupid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Weird, I guess I assumed Letestu was on a minor league deal because he was such an unknown commodity and he started with Wheeling.

I also saw that Webster had a 10 game suspension for a check to the head. Hopefully he can play physical without being stupid.

I don't know the specifics of Webster's suspension -- maybe it was really dangerous -- but in general, OHL commish David Branch is heavy handed with anything headshot related. He'll slap a guy with a 10 gamer for stuff that likely wouldn't be more than a 2-minute minor at the pro level

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I don't know the specifics of Webster's suspension -- maybe it was really dangerous -- but in general, OHL commish David Branch is heavy handed with anything headshot related. He'll slap a guy with a 10 gamer for stuff that likely wouldn't be more than a 2-minute minor at the pro level

ala the Kuhnhackl suspension

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hate the whole "oh well, who cares" and the "But he could be so and so" responses. It's tough to not be in one of those categories as well, so all I can say is I hope he makes WBS a better team and works hard to further his career.

There's so many examples of undrafted players that have worked their way up on the Pens (Lovejoy, Letestu, Sheary, etc).

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

I like that, I mean the vast majority of OHL players wont be professional hockey players. Wish the NHL would get tougher again.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

I coulda sworn Letestu started out on an AHL deal as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad